+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black History Month

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Black History Month

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I was talking more of a national thing, not in schools. Like every month we celebrate a minority group and get a day off work.
    Yeah, but then you'd have a bunch of angry caucasians screamin' about the lack of White History Month. LOL. No, I doubt that would happen, but it would be pretty funny.

I don't really think that any minority should be singled out and have a History Month. Though the day off of work sounds nice. I mean, it's bad enough that most ethnic groups don't even get recognized in history books. Asian Americans, Latino Americans, etc... They only get the negative view in our history books and Black History just gets set to the side, or segregated in to a seperate classroom...

What's truly funny is that I see more White people in Black history classes than I do BLACK people!! Why is that??

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

So I have a question about this Black History you are taught.
    Do they teach you about Liberia and did the historians manage to successfully shoot down the teaching that Cleopatra is black?

Mind you I agree the entire thing is absurd, I'm just curious.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why it's 'black' history month. Not that I'm against the teaching of it (and I agree, it should be taught in history classes all year round) But why focus on 'black'. I think a better thing would be to focus on 'equality' rather than look back and look at all the bad things that have been done, why not celebrate how far we have come in equality issues regarding ones race. Or encourage that sort of relationship during that month?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Do they teach you about Liberia and did the historians manage to successfully shoot down the teaching that Cleopatra is black?
    Thats if you believe in the Egyptians were black crap? I was curious and i looked into this b4. Some of the very early Egyptians were close to what you would call black.Then middle-eastern like people moved into that society, and the mixing of the races occurred. So the mid and later Egyptians weren't black.

So by the time Cleopatra was around, the Egyptians were pretty much middle-eastern looking. You could say shes part black.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post

Mind you I agree the entire thing is absurd, I'm just curious.
    If you're lucky, you'll learn about Liberia in history class (I'm one of the fortunate few who had a Black history teacher--not for a Black history class, but US history). Most other students who take American History (those that I've spoken to) say they didn't know anything about Liberia until they had seen a play or was debating with someone about African History.

Most scholars, in my own opinion, have been shooting down the whole "Cleopatra is Black" theory; judging by documentaries and such. But, I kinda agree. Miroku4444 is correct as well. I had a friend in high school who's Egyptian. Funny thing is when he told me he was African American, I laughed at him and said, "Yeah, right! You're an Arab!" But passports prove me wrong each time. It's highly possible that she was Black, but colored like me (tan). Or, she could have very well have some Middle Eastern heritage. One thing is certain though. There hasn't been a dark Egyptian since before Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    I don't understand why it's 'black' history month. Not that I'm against the teaching of it (and I agree, it should be taught in history classes all year round) But why focus on 'black'. I think a better thing would be to focus on 'equality' rather than look back and look at all the bad things that have been done, why not celebrate how far we have come in equality issues regarding ones race. Or encourage that sort of relationship during that month?
    I totally agree with you, Gwenibe! Why focus on the negativity all the time when we could be celebrating how we triumphed over the bad things of the past and made the present better? Why focus on hardship, when we should be focused on securing our future?

GOD! I hate Black History Month!!!

(Sorry, I had to vent. LOL)

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Most scholars, in my own opinion, have been shooting down the whole "Cleopatra is Black" theory; judging by documentaries and such. But, I kinda agree. Miroku4444 is correct as well. I had a friend in high school who's Egyptian. Funny thing is when he told me he was African American, I laughed at him and said, "Yeah, right! You're an Arab!" But passports prove me wrong each time. It's highly possible that she was Black, but colored like me (tan). Or, she could have very well have some Middle Eastern heritage. One thing is certain though. There hasn't been a dark Egyptian since before Christ.
    atomik_sprout, they're are blacks living in Egypt. They are of course located very near lots of African country's. So he/she could have been black, but that dont make Egyptians black. Oh, and its way b4 Christ. Like around 2500-3000B.C.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    If you're lucky, you'll learn about Liberia in history class (I'm one of the fortunate few who had a Black history teacher--not for a Black history class, but US history). Most other students who take American History (those that I've spoken to) say they didn't know anything about Liberia until they had seen a play or was debating with someone about African History.
    You're lucky, I didn't hear about Liberia until it was in the NEWS! No one taught me about it in any history class in public school or uni.

I didn't mean to start a debate on Cleopatra. She was actually Greek genetically. The Ptolemy's were descended from the Greek general Ptolemy placed in charge of Egypt by Alexander the Great and they were so paranoid about diluting the blood stream they married their family (or other Hellenistic royalty but mostly family), hence why she was married to her brother. So she was pretty much the opposite of "black" even though the people she ruled were of mixed genetics. Every legitimate historian of Mediterranean history I know of agrees on that since it is well documented. That is why they threw such a fit when some history text books were printed with an eye to "increasing the self esteem of American Blacks" which claimed that she and several other historical figures were Black that were not. I was just wondering if it was still being taught or if they succeeded in getting rid of the crap.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

§-Breakdown-§ Breakout Champion, Bubble Popper Champion Akura13 may be famous one day Akura13's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, well, I don't like the Black History month as much either...Why??? Because, like most people here said, it's almost like racism. Why don't they have a "month" for other people? Why just them? That's what I think everytime we start learning a whole month's worth of black history in science...and, well, that's mostly how I think of things.

Phantasmagoria Lives On In The Hearts Of Their Fans, Japanese AND English!
    "Because it's okay to hide your tears." - LM.C (Lovely Mocochang)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast