+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Cancer

Hoping for an "intelligent" discussion that's why I put it here. If it is too personal for you then by all means skip this thread.

How many of you either has battle or know someone really close(not like my friend's teacher's relative whom you barely know) to you that battled/ling cancer??

1) How old was the person when diagnosed?
    2) What kind of cancer, and what kind of treatment was done??
    3) Did he or she made it through?

Anything else you want to share too would be welcomed.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cancer

My maternal grandmother was diagnosed with bowel cancer about 10 years ago, at the age of about 70, and just two years ago, was re-diagnosed with bowel cancer again. The first diagnosis was dealt with slowly but steadily, using a combination of chemotherapy, as well as routine operative surgery to remove the cancer bit by bit. It really helped that the cancer cells were detected very early on. She recovered completely, and was then required to have routine checkups in case the cancer redeveloped. It happened, 10 years later.

The second, current diagnosis of bowel cancer, however, is not going very well. It was detected very early on as well, but the location of the cancer near a large blood vessel this time means that it is too risky to completely remove the cancer, due to fear of excessive blood loss during surgery. This, combined with her age now (going on 82), which understandably means that her body is weaker than it was 10 years ago, has drastically reduced the chances of recovering completely, and the doctors have agreed that the best course of action is to undergo routine chemotherapy to hopefully reduce and control the growth.

It's been almost two years now, her body is physically very weak, but she's still fighting strong. The doctor's are predicting that she has maybe two or three years left. It wasn't easy for me to share this, but I can't say that I'm very close to my grandmother, even though she's the only grandparent I have left. I do love her, and I do want her to be well and healthy again, but I think it's time to accept what's happening, and take it all in stride.

You haven't answered your own questions yet, Legend. Sharing is caring.

Newbie zefielyn is off to a good start
    Thanks

My grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer when I was 11. It had already metastasized to her hip bone by that point. The tumors were inoperable, but she underwent chemotherapy. My family (expect me, I was "too young") knew that there would be no cure and the doctors were just beating off death for a little while. She died about 7 months later.

HOWEVER, and I am not saying this just to be uplifting because that's not something I would do, I now work in a cancer research lab and I have seen the diagnosis (depending on the type of course) go from a death sentence to a likely recovery. Really we've advanced a lot, at least medically.
    "So take a piece, but not too much."

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Hoping for an "intelligent" discussion that's why I put it here. If it is too personal for you then by all means skip this thread.

How many of you either has battle or know someone really close(not like my friend's teacher's relative whom you barely know) to you that battled/ling cancer??

1) 32 Years old. Diagnosed this past september.
    2) Testicular Cancer. Surgery to remove the cancer was needed. As for treatment, Two sesions of Radiotherapy, and a five year monitoring program (Doctor's visit every three months) just in case it returns.
    3) So far yes, and I hope I will be cancer-free from now on...

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

My sister was diagnosed with cancer. I can't disclose her age because she is a model MySpace.com - GEM - Official Myspace Page - 101 - Female - MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota - www.myspace.com/greeneyedmammi69,

and her age is supposed to be "top secret*. Just know that even though she looks younger than me. She is my older sister. Her cancer was ovarian. And she was offerd a treatment that was still in its testing phase. A hormonal treatment at that. They paid her to treat her. And it was a success.

I , myself had a benine (non-cancerous) tumor found on my ovary when I was 16. It was the size of a softball with hair and teeth (NO JOKE!). Unfortunately for me, both the tumor and ovary had to be removed. So I am rockin' one overy less than most women. Yet I was still fertile enough to produce 2 beautiful boys.

My sister got to keep all her lady parts despite the cancer. And she has no children. Her being a model, her figure is really important to her. It is a long standing joke that when she decides to have children she will make me (The fat little sister, with one ovary) carry the baby for her. lol.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post

Well, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was around thirty six. She got lucky though because it was in its first stage. She had surgery done when the tumor was found.
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GallComp View Post
    1) 32 Years old. Diagnosed this past september.
    2) Testicular Cancer. Surgery to remove the cancer was needed. As for treatment, Two sessions of Radiotherapy, and a five year monitoring program (Doctor's visit every three months) just in case it returns.
    3) So far yes, and I hope I will be cancer-free from now on...
    Damn Gall, that's just gnarly.

My sports teacher's friend was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of years ago. So the friend tells my teacher "you're 50 this year, why not get tested?" and sure enough, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer as well. Lucky they were able to get it before it metastasized.

The problem is, (even though new ways of diagnosing the disease have been introduced or will be introduced soon) the original way to diagnose is not a very fun one. They go through your anus to cop a feel of your prostate. No wonder many men don't feel like getting tested for it.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel View Post
    You haven't answered your own questions yet, Legend. Sharing is caring.
    @Zief: It's great to hear about your work, care to shed a little bit more light on your research??

My mother was diagnosed Thanksgiving Day to have pancreatic cancer (which I read was the least case in the world but highest death rate). I still believe that this whole thing could have been avoided if the doctor wasn't so incompetent.

She'll start her chemotherapy next Tuesday. While it hasn't spread it has gotten into her lungs that is why she can't go under the knife. She is in her late 50s but all the years of working 10 hours a day six days a week has made her body like a 70 year old's. Hopefully this doesn't come out sounding wrong but I'm glad it hasn't spread and that she didn't have to go under the knife. I didn't think her body will be able to that amount of sudden damage to the body. I know chemotherapy isn't a walk in the park either, but she's a strong lady and I know she can stand that. On top she gets to go home and spent time with family where she'll be more comfortable.

So yeah, that's the story.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast