+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannabis Consumption vs Alcohol Consumption

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cannabis Consumption vs Alcohol Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    Marijuana isn't addicting period. I have friends that smoke it but they aren't addicted. The word addiction has been overused countless times and its getting annoying. As I have stated before the DEA handbook says that marijuana isn't an addicting drug. (which makes that ironic in a sense)
    Then you need to get a newer handbook. The online DEA handbook says quite clearly it is.
    The DEA Position On Marijuana
    Dependency and Treatment:
    • Adolescents are at highest risk for marijuana addiction, as they are "three times more likely than adults to develop dependency."21 This is borne out by the fact that treatment admission rates for adolescents reporting marijuana as the primary substance of abuse increased from 32 to 65 per cent between 1993 and 2003.22 More young people ages 12-17 entered treatment in 2003 for marijuana dependency than for alcohol and all other illegal drugs combined.23
    • "[R]esearch shows that use of [marijuana] can lead to dependence. Some heavy users of marijuana develop withdrawal symptoms when they have not used the drug for a period of time. Marijuana use, in fact, is often associated with behavior that meets the criteria for substance dependence established by the American Psychiatric Association."24

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    And like Priestess said the whole marijuana gives you cancer is merely speculation
    Also covered in the DEA handbook online.
    DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, Drug Descriptions, Marijuana
    Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illnesses, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency toward obstructed airways. Cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs may also be promoted by marijuana smoke. Marijuana has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because marijuana smoke contains 50 percent to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.(8)

Oh and since Amsterdam keeps coming up the DEA handbook covers that as well.
    The DEA Position On Marijuana: Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    • Due to international pressure on permissive Dutch cannabis policy and domestic complaints over the spread of marijuana "coffee shops," the government of the Netherlands has reconsidered its legalization measures. After marijuana became normalized, consumption nearly tripled – from 15 per cent to 44 per cent – among 18 to 20 year-old Dutch youth.58 As a result of stricter local government policies, the number of cannabis "coffeehouses" in the Netherlands was reduced – from 1,179 in 199759 to 737 in 2004, a 37 per cent decrease in 7 years.60
    • About 70 per cent of Dutch towns have a zero-tolerance policy toward cannabis cafes.61
    • In August 2004, after local governments began clamping down on cannabis "coffeehouses" seven years earlier, the government of the Netherlands formally announced a shift in its cannabis policy through the United National International Narcotics Control Board (INCB). According to "an inter-ministerial policy paper on cannabis, the government acknowledged that ‘cannabis is not harmless’ – neither for the abusers, nor for the community." Netherlands intends to reduce the number of coffee shops (especially those near border areas and schools), closely monitor drug tourism, and implement an action plan to discourage cannabis use. This public policy change brings the Netherlands "closer towards full compliance with the international drug control treaties with regard to cannabis."62
    • Dr. Ernest Bunning, formerly with Holland’s Ministry of Health and a principal proponent of that country’s liberal drug philosophy, has acknowledged that, "[t]here are young people who abuse soft drugs . . . particularly those that have [a] high THC [content]. The place that cannabis takes in their lives becomes so dominant they don’t have space for the other important things in life. They crawl out of bed in the morning, grab a joint, don’t work, smoke another joint. They don’t know what to do with their lives."63
    There is also a push to get marijuana reclassified back to a B rating due to it's "link between cannabis and psychosis" and the more "potent cannabis" in use.

The only real myth about marijuana is that it is harmless.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Apr 21, 2008)

Newbie Young Wolf is off to a good start Young Wolf's Avatar
    Thanks

the government created aids and dont make a cure for cancer because they make more money by making medicine that makes you sicker which is another reason weed is illegal.
    IT CURES CANCER!!! big no-no to the government
    fear me
    i am lycan other kin

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Young Wolf View Post
    the government created aids and dont make a cure for cancer because they make more money by making medicine that makes you sicker which is another reason weed is illegal.
    Sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. Try supporting your statements with more than mere opinion, and give us some legible sources.

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I wanted to add this fact to the debate since I haven’t seen this mentioned. This would be a count against the side for legalization but it should be a factor considered by both sides in my opinion.

Now, I have been reading articles on the effects of marijuana so that I could reacquaint myself with the information and be in top shape for this debate to say the least. Needless to say that I came on to an interesting point.

Average Percentage of THC in Samples of Seized Marijuana, 1985 – 2006

Source: The University of Mississippi Potency Monitoring Project.

Basically, marijuana of today is not the same marijuana that was here in the 1970s. Over the years, THC levels in marijuana have risen making the drug more potent and more easily addictive. Some reports estimate that today’s marijuana is five times stronger than it was in the 1970s while other reports estimate the strength to even be 25 times higher. One of the most potent forms of marijuana is a new strain called the BC bud which has a THC content of over 30%.

Here is something else to consider as well. Even if the drug was legalized, the marijuana would only be sold with a THC content of about 6% if I had to guess. So really it most likely wouldn’t affect the black market because than they would just offer marijuana with higher levels of THC. The selling of illegal marijuana most likely wouldn’t slow down much if at all.

But don’t get me wrong. I still think that marijuana should at least be used medically because it does have medical qualities that can be very beneficial for patients.

Also if you want to read the articles that I found that contain this information, here are my sources.

Family Guide – Keeping Youth Mentally & Drug Free: Marijuana's Potency Has Increased Over Time

DEA: Marijuana - National Drug Threat Assessment 2008

U.S. Customs Today: U.S. Customs Today - Commissioner's Message

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priestess Angel For This Useful Post:

Arrianna (Apr 21, 2008), Silverskater145 (Apr 19, 2008)

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Young Wolf View Post
    Aids started in Africa if I am not mistaken and there are two types, A and B, each is different strain and both originated in Africa. Most of the money goes towards research and to help fund hospitals and not the gov. Once again Mj doesn’t cure cancer it increases the chance of it, the only benefits it has with cancer patients is as a pain killer and this type of Mj is altered so the chemical in it are less potent as stated earlier and is very weak compared to those that you see on the streets. And if you say well then let people have the weaker one well guess what, they will not want that kind as they want the more potent one because it gives them a better "feel".

Priestess Angel, that was brought up already by Arrianna ealier.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mind a nice link to some readable facts. I didn't know about the 30%THC strain from BC though it doesn't surprise me since I used to live there and remember quite well the general uncaring attitude toward marijuana use. Back then they legalized minor marijuana possession and now they produce a "hard drug" variety, it figures. Just goes to show what legalization can really do.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Young Wolf is off to a good start Young Wolf's Avatar
    Thanks

but the government leaves out details on how it was created and how it spread
    but why are you all aginst ganja it doesnt kill anyone cigaretts and alchol do but nobody has died from ganja overdose

i think this was alreaddy brought up by someone
    fear me
    i am lycan other kin

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

One of the reasons why I have a problem with it is because we have enough crap flying around screwing people up as it is, like tobacoo, alcohol... reality tv shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast