+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: capital punishment

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Second. There is a direct corelation between population density and violent crime. I can't find it ( ) but there is a chart that shows that and actually correlates homicide with population. It's very illuminating and once you take 'suicides' into account shows very little differnce in the rates between the US and Japan (one of the 'safest' countries).
    I can back that up. For my final project in Statistics I did a study on violent crime and population density to see if they were connected. They were. The more deinsly populated an area, the more violent crime (rape, murder, etc) happens. It was a facinating study.

There were a few outliers. The most notable was Provo, Utah. In the year I did this study there were 0 murders. NONE! Not bad for the 3rd largest city in Utah. And frankly, the only metro city in the US that year that had no murders.

Newbie frednoid may be famous one day frednoid may be famous one day frednoid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Okay, the reason that someone on death row stays there for 4 to 5 years is because of a few reasons. The first is because there is that small window of chance in which the convicted could actually be found innocent with newfound evidence. The second is so that the inmate can have the opportunity in which to discover religion and try to purge himself of his sins. And the third is that if we were to kill someone right after the trial, this could cause some serious riots from equal rights activists, and what-not. Now, it can't truly be called "cruel and unusual" nowadays, now with the lethal injection. After they televised the lethal injection of a convicted criminal, family of his victims honestly felt they should've brought the electric chair back because it just looked like he fell asleep. So basically it's the same effect one would get if they were to sit in their car in a closed garage with the engines on for a long time. You just drift off to sleep and die. So before you go off and say the death penalty is "cruel and unusual," take into mind that we now use lethal injection instead, and they are currently a drain on society by just sitting there behind bars.

Newbie Pteronophobia may be famous one day Pteronophobia may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Capital punishment is wrong simply because it is not human being place to decide who lives or dies. That is God's place. We cannot take His place and say we are doing justice at the same time. If the problem is that someone that cannot co-exist with other innocent people in the world then lock the person up for their lifetime. This gives them the chance to repent, a longer time, and the people of the world do not need to worry about the convicts' interference. It is wrong to take someone's life simply because we don't want to pay for their life in jail or because we are too coldhearted and selfish to forgive them.

xD

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pteronophobia View Post
    Capital punishment is wrong simply because it is not human being place to decide who lives or dies. That is God's place. We cannot take His place and say we are doing justice at the same time.
    Really? God (Chritianity) has already justified capitol punishment. Under that logic by saying we shouldn't have capitol punishment aren't you actually dissagreeing with God as to what justice really is?

Exodus 21:

12 ¶ He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
    13 And if a man lie not in wait, but God deliver him into his hand; then I will appoint thee a place whither he shall flee.
    14 But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die.
    15 ¶ And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
    16 ¶ And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.
    17 ¶ And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
    I love the part where making someone a slave is a capitol offense.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Capital punishment is wrong simply because it is not human being place to decide who lives or dies. That is God's place. We cannot take His place and say we are doing justice at the same time. If the problem is that someone that cannot co-exist with other innocent people in the world then lock the person up for their lifetime. This gives them the chance to repent, a longer time, and the people of the world do not need to worry about the convicts' interference. It is wrong to take someone's life simply because we don't want to pay for their life in jail or because we are too coldhearted and selfish to forgive them.

xD
    Who says its god place. Don't the bible say "an eye for an eye"? Why should we forgive a cold hearted murder anyhow? He wouldnt for the victem.

Newbie Pteronophobia may be famous one day Pteronophobia may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Really? God (Chritianity) has already justified capitol punishment. Under that logic by saying we shouldn't have capitol punishment aren't you actually dissagreeing with God as to what justice really is?

I love the part where making someone a slave is a capitol offense.
    Ah.. Exodus.
    This would be true, in the OLD testament.
    However, when Jesus came, all of the rules that were put in by Moses and other early prophets were totally canceled. Take this quote for example:
    Mark 10 2-6
    "And the Pharisees came up and in order to test him asked,"Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" He answered them,"What did Moses command you?" They said,"Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of divorce, and to put her away" But Jesus said to them,"For your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment. But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife and the two shall become one. So they are no longer two but one. What therefore God has joined together, let no man put assunder"

The reason I chose this scripture is because the Pharisees try to catch Jesus in the act of preaching wrong teachings and then He tells them that the law of divorce is now non-existant. Now, it is impossible to get divorced from your spouse, and if you do, you would be commiting adultery, a mortal sin. This is a good example of how the laws have changed from the old testament to the new. The ones existant after Jesus dies are the ones we are to live by. The new laws replaced the old ones, and this is why you cannot kill simply for revenge or any other OT reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Who says its god place. Don't the bible say "an eye for an eye"? Why should we forgive a cold hearted murder anyhow? He wouldnt for the victem.
    God says its God's place.
    The bible does say this about revenge, but this is in the OLD testament, and I have discussed how the OT doesn't matter since Jesus came in the last post. Also, Jesus taught us to forgive our enemies. Even if they hate us, we must love them and forgive them, no matter their crime.
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Oct 07, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
    xD

Some people think they are thinking, but all they are doing is rearranging their prejudices.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    God says its God's place.
    The bible does say this about revenge, but this is in the OLD testament, and I have discussed how the OT doesn't matter since Jesus came in the last post. Also, Jesus taught us to forgive our enemies. Even if they hate us, we must love them and forgive them, no matter their crime.
    You are missing one small fact however. In the old testiment they lived in a theocracy. The laws were given by God for their government. By new testiment times they were living under the law and rules of the Romans.

Mark 12:17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.

And Caesar/Rome had capitol punishment.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks
    You kill by the sword, you die by the sword.

These people are murderers. They deserve death. For playing Death and killing those who were undeserving.

They should recieve this ultimate punishment. Or would you rather set them aside and talk to them about how killing people is wrong? And risk the uncertainty that they could see freedom one day and kill again.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast