+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: capital punishment

Newbie Pteronophobia may be famous one day Pteronophobia may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    You are missing one small fact however. In the old testiment they lived in a theocracy. The laws were given by God for their government. By new testiment times they were living under the law and rules of the Romans.

Mark 12:17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.

And Caesar/Rome had capitol punishment.
    I think you are saying since the OT laws were given by God for their government we should have it in our system. These don't matter at all though because of the fact that Jesus came. If you were trying to make a different point I'd like to know what it was. ^.^
    Jesus was talking about taxes there, so I'm not sure what your point was there either.
    xD

Some people think they are thinking, but all they are doing is rearranging their prejudices.

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks
    there's a reason y there's capital punishment....this is used as an example to deter other ppl from committing the heinous crimes they committed i.e murder, manslaughter, anything tht relates to them taking another's life with intent.

It is only with those tht kill with intent regardless of their mental state. If it was for medical reasons where all parties concerned have consented to end the life of their relative then it would be lawful. Thus this exercising their human rights

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pteronophobia View Post
    I think you are saying since the OT laws were given by God for their government we should have it in our system. These don't matter at all though because of the fact that Jesus came. If you were trying to make a different point I'd like to know what it was. ^.^
    Jesus was talking about taxes there, so I'm not sure what your point was there either.
    Well, remember you said that the OT didn't matter, and that rather Jesus told us to forgive our enemies, and so on...

Arrianna was just trying to clarify that in the OT the people there lvied in a theocracy, and by the time they were under the Romans in the NT, they were under the Roman government. And with her verse, I think she was just trying to prove how they were instructed to follow the rules of the government placed upon them, thus making it impossible for people to take in effect the whole eye for an eye. Instead, they should leave it to the government, and not take revenge, as what Jesus said.

And a little sidenote: The OT does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X
    there's a reason y there's capital punishment....this is used as an example to deter other ppl from committing the heinous crimes they committed i.e murder, manslaughter, anything tht relates to them taking another's life with intent.
    To get back on topic...

But what if capital punishment does nothing to stop all the crimes in the nation? Then what is it's purpose? Last time I heard, crime was on the rise, and there are near 300,000 murders a year.

Correct me if I'm wrong (Arrianna ).

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145 View Post
    ... To get back on topic...

But what if capital punishment does nothing to stop all the crimes in the nation? Then what is it's purpose? Last time I heard, crime was on the rise, and there are near 300,000 murders a year.

According to the published FBI statistics, in the US, violent crime has shown a gradual decrease over the past decade... This correlates with both the aging of the US population, as well as the availibility of legalized abortion (though this is different topic, mind you...)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this debate, is that capital punishment prevents the possibility of a criminal breaking out of prison and committing more acts of murder. It also protects the people working at the penal institutions... (If someone is already in prison for life, and there was no death penalty, what would a prisoner have to lose for killing a prison guard???)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

According to the published FBI statistics, in the US, violent crime has shown a gradual decrease over the past decade... This correlates with both the aging of the US population, as well as the availibility of legalized abortion (though this is different topic, mind you...)
    I still think that abortion statistic is loony. Where do you see these stats?

I'm also surprised to see that crime has gone down, but what about the crime rate, has that gone down or up?

Newbie Pteronophobia may be famous one day Pteronophobia may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Well, remember you said that the OT didn't matter, and that rather Jesus told us to forgive our enemies, and so on...

Arrianna was just trying to clarify that in the OT the people there lvied in a theocracy, and by the time they were under the Romans in the NT, they were under the Roman government. And with her verse, I think she was just trying to prove how they were instructed to follow the rules of the government placed upon them, thus making it impossible for people to take in effect the whole eye for an eye. Instead, they should leave it to the government, and not take revenge, as what Jesus said.

Ah. i see what she was saying now.
    Civil Laws are not all correct though. There have been many civil laws that contradict Jesus's teachings, so leaving it up to the gov't is not what He meant. Gay marriage is legal in some states and this is an obvious contradiction of Jesus's teachings.
    And I meant the OT does not matter as in the laws made back then (besides the Ten Commandments of course ) do not apply now. The OT definitivly does matter.
    xD

Some people think they are thinking, but all they are doing is rearranging their prejudices.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    I still think that abortion statistic is loony. Where do you see these stats?

I'm also surprised to see that crime has gone down, but what about the crime rate, has that gone down or up?
    Here's the offical Federal Goverment statistics as published by the President's White House website...

SSBR: Crime
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

No, you have it right. The only thing you missed is that when Christ said the laws were fullfilled he is talking about the laws of sacrifice or the religious ceremony that were symbolic of his comming.

Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

He never said "I have changed the law of government".

So if you stand there and say that God wouldn't have capitol punishment I would like to know what that is based on since the only government he made did.

...and yes, the old testiment matters. Especially since the 10 commandments are part of that law that you are saying is unimportant. Where in the new testiment does it say to follow the 10 commandments but forget the rest of it?

...I think this is on topic.

PS. Thanks Len. I can see why there is concern with crime dropping steadily but homicide remaing level. I can see why there are statements that the level of violence in crimes is increasing in spite of the drop.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast