+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catholic School expells pre-schooler because of Lesbian Parents

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Catholic School expells pre-schooler because of Lesbian Parents

First off, I can't make this clear enough: This thread is not to debate homosexuality itself. You bring up that topic, and I will smack you with the infraction bat myself..
     click to show spoiler

Next, Read this article: Catholic School Rejects Child Because Of Lesbian Parents - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

This is to discuss whether or not it is right for church run schools to discriminate against a group of people, especially at the expense of an innocent child.

Obviously from the statement above, I do not agree with this issue at all. I'm worried about the education of the child, which should be paramount to both the church, and the child's parents.

I think the church was wrong to deny the child entry into the school. Pure and simple.

And here's my reasoning:

The child is a pre-schooler. Pre-School in some area's are not free, and can be very expensive. Logistically (meaning travel wise) and financially, the school in question might be the only option for the parents.

I myself attended catholic schools when I was younger, and my mom (at the time), was single, had 4 kids and was divorced twice (if you read the article, someone had pointed out that the school was practicing a double standard in regards to not allowing children in the school who's parents didn't practice Catholic beliefs). I wasn't denied enrollment in the school, but if I was, my mother would not have been able to send me and my siblings to school, since this was the only place in range that my mother could get me too.

Then you have to consider the child's situation. The child did not choose to come into this world, and has no control over its situation in life, and because of that situation, is being denied an education.

Education is every child's right, and it is against the law (last I heard) to deny a child education, so, if the school in question is the only feasible option for the parents, the school could be breaking the law in this situation. But that's just my opinion.

Whats yours?

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Catholic School expells pre-schooler because of Lesbian Parents

I don't know much about catholic schools. I guess I was under the impression that getting your child into a catholic school took more effort and expense than regular public schooling.

I guess I can't use a "separation of church and state" argument here?... Being that this is a catholic school....?

I think I am in agreement to many of the people quoted in that article. Despite my lack of "religious" practice.... I have to agree that its unfair to discriminate against one "sin". I'm sure there are children attending, without question, whose parents are guilty of just as bad or worse.

I see no regard to the child... at all. It seems like the "church" is more concerned with an appearance of righteousness. Maybe more bad publicity will enlighten them... that in this day and age most people just want to treated fairly. Thus, that is what others root for. The golden rule right? Treat others how you would like to be treated.

And you're right Ace, the child, who asked for none of this... is the one who suffers... shame.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Mar 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Otaku clover may be famous one day clover may be famous one day clover's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree 100% the child should not be subjected to something because of her parents. He has every right to an education, and one that the parents can easily afford if not get too.
    though its the same thing with alot of religion that disagree with their choice its not up to them to turn someones child away just because they dont agree with what their parents sin. they should be more worried about the education that child will recieve than turning the evil eye on him just because of his parents to uphold a image of the church.

In catholic belief everyone is a sinner, why should they discriminate against these two and not the others? Its really not fair since parents of the other children attending are most likley doing something just as bad if not worse, that they have no idea about or just plain ignoring it. Espeically after all the controversy and finding preists who were either molesting, or hooking up with the alter boys.
    I think it would be a benefit for them to allow their daughter into the school, and show that their teaching tolence to their students of sexuality, race, and religion.

but i think they should go to court, they cant turn her away and deny her education because of her parents, especially if thats the only school in the area for her.

..........nothing is true, everything is permitted..........

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

think this is stupid but what can I say. The catholic church's stance on homosexuality is well known. Why seek out an institution that you know has those beliefs. I am sorry though to say the catholic church does have its rights to impose its standards in institutions it funds.

On a personal note I went to a very strict college part of my quest for a bachelors degree. It was Lutheran based. For all its strictness people were polite and the honor code meant you never had to lock your dorm amd could leave your supplies in my classroom between periods.

Then I went to a college were anything went and no one cared about students integrity. Theft and assualts were rampant. You couldn't leave your supplies alone and if you were a woman it was a bad idea. To be alone.

The point is you take the good with the bad.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I kinda agree with Beast, if it was a private catholic school, they're well within their rights to deny whoever they want, regardless of how shallow their reasons are. The child is required by law to attend school, and I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a non-catholic public school close. (or if they were doing private schooling in the first place, home school?)

I guess my point is that if the school is private, they reserve their right to deny whoever, and as long as there are public schools the kid can go to, why are we so outraged at an institution that we know has a reputation for being corrupt and intolerable? It's institutions like the church that make so many of us atheist in the first place, and it's because of shit they pull like this.

I also think it was a bit naïve of the parents to think that it was a good idea to try to fraternize with a school that has been bred to hate homosexuals, or at least think of them as hell-bound sinners because they 'choose' to be gay. But I don't know the whole story. Maybe aceman's right, maybe this is the only school they could go to. which if that's the case, this becomes a very different argument, where the sexuality of parents is no longer relevant, the school would be violating the law by denying the kid education, which by law they are required to.

So idk, it's a clash of ethics, on one hand the kid needs educating, on the other the private school should reserve its rights to accept or deny whoever they see fit.

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Obviously from the statement above, I do not agree with this issue at all. I'm worried about the education of the child, which should be paramount to both the church, and the child's parents.

I think the church was wrong to deny the child entry into the school. Pure and simple.

And here's my reasoning:

The child is a pre-schooler. Pre-School in some area's are not free, and can be very expensive. Logistically (meaning travel wise) and financially, the school in question might be the only option for the parents.

I myself attended catholic schools when I was younger, and my mom (at the time), was single, had 4 kids and was divorced twice (if you read the article, someone had pointed out that the school was practicing a double standard in regards to not allowing children in the school who's parents didn't practice Catholic beliefs). I wasn't denied enrollment in the school, but if I was, my mother would not have been able to send me and my siblings to school, since this was the only place in range that my mother could get me too.

Education is every child's right, and it is against the law (last I heard) to deny a child education, so, if the school in question is the only feasible option for the parents, the school could be breaking the law in this situation. But that's just my opinion.

Whats yours?

I attended a catholic middle school and highschool. and now-a-days, in my state (things have changed rather drastically in the last few years when it involves money) not only is it more expensive to send your kids to a catholic school, it is several times more expensive than a head-start program, or any other public school type of education. This couple probably didn't care about the religion that the school offers, but the educational level and the security. It is a well known and proven fact that most if not all catholic (and other private schools) are at a much higher academic level than public schools, and have less behavioral problems when it comes to their students. Now the fact that this one particular catholic school denied entry doesn't mean this family can't go to another school. Most catholic schools operate independently, and not from the diocese (which for those of you who don't know is the catholic higharchy of catholisms, like the catholic goverment). What one school decideds to do with their students normally does not affect another school. So if this particular school denied the child entry, (even though it's completely legal, most private and religious schools have a very tough and low entry rate, they can and do reject dumb kids, rowdy or undisciplined kids, perhaps kids that have special needs that they can't supply) the family can just go to another, or here's a bright idea go to a non-religious private school. Not all catholic schools are as strict as some. My catholic highschool has had, Muslim students. In fact a very close friend of mine was a Muslim girl. Now i don't know if ya'll remember this, but it is in the koran (or at least this is how some muslims interpret it) that it is good to kill 'infidels' which would include catholics. Yet my school didn't judge this girl for her religion, which was in truth pushed on her at a certain level, and took her in, and gave her everything they gave a normal student.
    every rose has a thorn

Otaku ToxicShadow is off to a good start ToxicShadow's Avatar
    Thanks

homestly i think that is messed up because they expelled the kid because the parents are gay. who cares about that its just how they wanted to be and that school should be sued for discrimantion i hate people who look down on the children of gays or lesbians
    Hold me Like you held on to life When all fears came alive and entombed me Love me Like you love the sun Scorching the blood in my vampire heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

"To preserve the mission of our schools, and to respect the faith of wider Catholic community, we expect all families who enroll students to live in accord with Catholic teaching. Parents living in open discord with Catholic teaching in areas of faith and morals unfortunately choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment."
    Instead of throwing tiny temper tantrums because we aren't a nation of robots who all think and speak in perfect tandem with their (or your) opinion perhaps people should take the time to learn the actual laws and rights in the US not to mention actual scripture they claim to quote.

In the US everyone has the right to believe what they want, say whatever they want about those beliefs, and live according to those beliefs. That means that a private institute can have their own moral clauses they required be they secular or religious based and those who CHOOSE to attend are required to follow them while they CHOOSE to attend. That is their right. If you don't like it then just imagine if it your beliefs were the ones being challenged instead for the same reason. It is the same for everyone and that is what makes it fair.

Now the people protesting are doing the exact same thing. They are "assuming" a double standard her but fail to catch that this is not someone being denied entry but re-entry, they were already a student here. There was no person interviewing on application saying are you (X). Instead there was, as there always is, a signed morality clause saying that the people will live up to (X) and when it is found they haven't they have the right to say sorry, no. They are also erroneously crying about God and Jesus but miss completely that that is exactly where the moral code, especially the one against homosexuality, comes from. It was God who said don't do it and it was Jesus who (yes, associated with sinners but then he...) called them to repentance. Never once did either say, "it's ok, do whatever you want" no they said "we will love you no matter what but you need to listen and obey." Thus the entire argument falls apart as a huge red herring. This is a private institute with a moral code that has been broken based on the teachings of their religion as they have the right under the law to have.

If you don't like it then go to a school that is secular but to demand that everyone change their view to agree with you because you are "right" and they are "wrong" just because that is what you believe is prejudice pure and simple not to mention persecuting someone for their beliefs which then creates hypocrisy on the part of anyone who is claiming that that should not be done. If you think they should be forced to take someone who is breaking their code of conduct just because you have no respect for their beliefs maybe you should take a good look in the mirror and then decide how you will feel when the person being being told what you can believe is you.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast