+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Celebrate Christmas yes or no

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Celebrate Christmas yes or no

celebrate it because its jesus's b-day!
    I mean other than the fact that some of u dont believe in christ, what other reason would u not celebrate it? u celebrate ur own b-day dont u? and ur nothing compared to the glory of christ.

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gren
    I suppose it doesn't matter the actual date of his birth, if you believe he is your savior, and the Christian Church tells you when to celebrate, you do so at that time. What is it, exactly, that you're on the fence about? If you believe in Christ, then what difference would it make if you celebrate him in December or on his actual birthday? I think the real question for you if you're considering converting is do you believe in the tenets of your boyfriends' religion more than the one you currently practice.
    mm yes thats good reference.lol.
    and yea I do agree with you that as long as you believe then it dosn't matter what day. And well I am kinda just like err I dont really know what I'm on the fence about. I guess I really just want to get everyones opinion about it really before I make any desicions.
    But yea I really have no actuall church belifes really cuase I am not apart of one. I have moved around and going to his church has opend my eyes alot about stuff.
    Thanks gren for your input into the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbits are Roadkill
    I hate all holidays because it always reminds me of the things I've lost in life that can't be given back. And all I see around Christmas time is a bunch of greedy little brats that want and want and want. People need to teach their kids to use their heads and realize that there are WAY more important things out there than stupid material possessions.
    yes I semi agree with you that latley it has been about spoiled kids getting what they want. Thats kinda one reson why I wouldn't care less if I gave Christmas up.
    Thanks for your input.

And thank you everyone else for your input.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Cristmas is just a pagan celebration that was turned into a Christian celebration to make Christianity more popular... can't be sure, I just know people did that, so I just guess...

I don't know, I celebrate Cristmas because it's like the time when everyone gets together, when the cold of the winter is killed by the love of the closest people to you. And it's a possibility to give a present to the people you love... to be nice to them ^^

And I would still celebrate Cristmas even if I wasn't Christian...

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Here we go again. Why is it Catholic holidays arouse such skepticism?

When learning about originally Catholic Holidays go to Catholic sources. Catholic Encyclopedia

Put simply Christs birth has been celebrated as early as 200 AD and the 25th of December was recorded as the day of his birth as early as 354 in Rome.

He gar prote parousia tou kyriou hemon he ensarkos [en he gegennetai] en Bethleem, egeneto [pro okto kalandon ianouarion hemera tetradi] Basileuontos Augoustou [tessarakoston kai deuteron etos, apo de Adam] pentakischiliosto kai pentakosiosto etei epathen de triakosto trito [pro okto kalandon aprilion, hemera paraskeun, oktokaidekato etei Tiberiou Kaisaros, hypateuontos Hrouphou kai Hroubellionos. -- (Comm. In Dan., iv, 23; Brotke; 19)

"For the first coming of Our Lord in the flesh [in which He has been begotten], in Bethlehem, took place [25 December, the fourth day] in the reign of Augustus [the forty-second year, and] in the year 5500 [from Adam]. And He suffered in His thirty-third year [25 March, the parasceve, in the eighteenth year of Tiberius C├Žsar, during the consulate of Rufus and Rubellio]."
    Never let it be said that that means it is accurate or that the debate is over however it did become the accepted traditional day for Christmas throughout the Christian world and the 6th of January (twelve days later) was the traditional celebration of the coming of the wise men.

Is there scriptural reference to back up celebrating Christmas? That depends on whether you believe anything not expressly written didn't happen. There are references in the new testament to Christians being chided for celebrating pagan holidays but never for celebrating Christs birthday (or any other occurrence during his life) its self so we simply don't know how they felt about it based on that. So I subscribe to the belief that if it was fine for the Angels to celebrate it is just fine for me to do so as well.
    Luke 2
    10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
    11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
    12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
    13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
    14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
    The important part is making sure that is what you are actually doing and not just thinking of yourself or the entire holiday becomes meaningless.

PS. It seems every time I track down this idea of Catholic holidays being actually pagan I keep coming back to Anglican England as the origin of the belief... hmmmmmm Wonder if there just might have been some bad blood there.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

mm so thats clears it up a bit.

But now you have me thinking that Christman is a pegan holiday. Or does it just originate from the pegans??

I am all confoosled again.lol.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P.R. Princes View Post
    mm so thats clears it up a bit.

But now you have me thinking that Christman is a pegan holiday. Or does it just originate from the pegans??

I am all confoosled again.lol.

It originates in the early Christian/Catholic church. It is and always has been a Christian holiday, one that throughout the centuries the church leaders have had to keep rebuking the members for forgetting the point of and getting caught up in partying instead. There are a few symbols that have worked their way in that have pagan origins, such as the Yule log or mistletoe, but the majority of the symbolism is very much based in the Christian religion.

The confusion in the US about it's origins is because in 1644 the English Parliament banned it's practice as "Heathen" (evidently the conservative members protested). As a result even the non-Anglicans that originally settled the USA didn't celebrate Christmas. It wasn't until the immigrants from Germany came that Christmas was celebrated here. Even then it continued to be quite scandalous for some time and there are still pockets in the US that still believe it to be heathen. That isn't to surprising however when you realize just how strong the anti-Catholic feelings were in the same parts of the country until fairly recently. For example many felt Kennedy couldn't get elected as President in 1961 because he was Catholic.

German Holidays

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Nov 15, 2007 at 06:18 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Thanks

well im not a religious person and i never belived in Jesus but my mother told me that christmas is about FAMILY,LOVE, HOPE and SHARE, and that i will celebrate forever and ever, i dont give a S.H.I.T about what christians say or wht other religion says... im not going to celebrate a B-day from someone unknow to me
    Last edited by Arukih; Nov 20, 2007 at 08:13 AM.

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

There has been much debate over the fact that Christmas is not the actual date of Jesus' birth but that doesn't mean that we can't celebrate a possible date. It gives people something to believe in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast