+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Censorship

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Censorship

This is especially for Americans:

I am currently writing a speech about censorship and its affect on the average American. Are you pro-censorship or anti-censorship? Do you feel that it protects groups such as minorities and children, or does it violate your First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and the press?

(Background: Censorship - noun
    1. counterintelligence achieved by banning or deleting any information of value to the enemy [syn: censoring]
    2. deleting parts of publications or correspondence or theatrical performances [syn: censoring] WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University

Censorship is the removal of information from the public, or the prevention of circulation of information, where it is desired or felt best by some controlling group or body that others are not allowed to access the information which is being censored. Typically censorship is undertaken by governments, or by established bodies (religions or the mass media), although self-censorship and other forms also exist. Censorship of some forms of sensitive information, such as commercial secrets and intellectual property, official secrets, and legal privilege, are not usually described as censorship, provided that they remain within bounds which are recognised in general as being reasonable. For this reason, the term "censorship" often carries with it a sense of untoward, inappropriate or repressive secrecy as opposed to a reasonable and expected level.

Censorship is closely tied in as a concept with freedom of speech and other forms of human expression, and when tightly exerted is often allied with human rights abuse, dictatorship and repression.

In countries which broadly describe themselves as democratic, there have at times been allegations of scientific censorship, colloquially known as "spin", a form of massaging and censorship of science to ensure conclusions described match the agendas and wishes of non-neutral parties (political agendas, religious bodies or pressure groups' purposes, and the like), and that unfavorable results which undermine or fail to support such agendas are minimized.

Censorship is often used as a pejorative term to signify a belief by the speaker that some group controlling certain information is using this control improperly or for its own benefit, or not allowing others access to information the speaker believes should be made readily accessible (often for oversight purposes, to verify the conclusions drawn). (For further information, see Wikipedia.org)

Newbie Bloody Sword may be famous one day Bloody Sword may be famous one day Bloody Sword's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Censorship

Oh lets see I would be for and and against the matter censorship is good but also bad for the matter because some people do not need to now some facts but then again what about global warming and other hidden topics that are put in the vault....the pubic needs to know something but not all because like the little saying curiousity killed the cat......and then again some specific topics just need to be known to the public/ world

I also think that there should be able to watch read and listen to whatever you want just dont dig a hole to deep for you so you cant get out
    Last edited by Bloody Sword; Feb 16, 2007 at 10:36 AM.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I am an artist, and a mother, and am ANTI-CENSORSHIP. To me it is a total infringement on my first amendment rights. But theres is also a gray area. I believe when things are exploited and uncensored they should be done so appropriately. In designated areas. If its television or movies it should be on its designated channel, during its designated time...ect.

As far as protecting children, that is mainly the responsibilty of a parent.

Protecting minorities? I think anything that could be deemed offensive should come with a disclaimer, instead of being censored. Well lets say I'm at a museum, viewing art that has to do with Nazi warfare... and I see something I view to be offensive. I should perhaps have thought before viewing it. If there was a disclaimer I would have been warned.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Otaku Fallen Hero may be famous one day Fallen Hero may be famous one day Fallen Hero's Avatar
    Thanks

I think censorship is necessary in todays world. People can't really handle the truth all that well. Seems like people need things to protest or complain about. If my government thinks I don't need to know something, I would assume it is for the best. I do agree with preserving history in the respect that we shouldn't teach it different than its reality, meaning that we cannot rewrite history. Censorship is a bad thing despite my previous statement. Makes you wonder how much we are left in the dark about. It is going to get out of hand one day.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

Censorship has bin used for many thing like movies,shows,music,wars, its just there to keep us from knowing the truth "meaning wars" and from not letteing or us see some thing or hearing that my offend us.

do i like Censorship its not right in my opinon i rather know the truth about some thing then being told some thing else or them hiding the truth on me
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh god.

Censorship is one of the most annoying things in the world. They try and protect the children from the "evils" of the world. They fabricate the truth so that they have no clue as to what is going on. I for one want to know what is really going on.

And besides censorship is annoying on the radio. They're going to hear the bad words from their parents and the kids. It's so dumb. I mean what's the point.

Horror movies rule Graveyard Champion Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Re: Censorship

I don't care about censoring things! Kids cuss all the time it doesn't help they will say bad words either way. And they should keep the black bars on naked people or the blurry thing. I know a channel that says the s word. It is not bleeped out. It was Spike tv. And kids get back words from parents too. Iam talking about little kids mostly.

Newbie Gehirn is off to a good start Gehirn's Avatar
    Thanks

In Australia, and I'd imagine alot of other western countries, censorship is huge, especially that of anime. It's even hard to find uncensored anime on DVD.

4Kids Entertainment do most of the censoring for anime shown on basic television. The name of the company explains almost everything. The preconceived idea that all animations are for children runs heavily in Australia and so censorship companies endeavour to clean up all the blood, rephrase every sentence with cuddlier words and turn that M15+ rating into a PG or sometimes...G. I can imagine the shock of the censors as they review an anime thinking "How can they (The Japanese) expose their children this!" All the time oblivious to the fact that anime is aimed at multiple audiences and enjoyed by many adults.

In terms of censorship in general it is apparently far more acceptable to show people getting blown apart or a man getting his throat slit multiple times, than it is to show something with sexual connotations.

Censorship is abused in its use but of course those who hold the power to make the censor decisions would never consider their views biased as any other perception of censorship would go against all of their beliefs and what gives them power.

Censor Censorship.
    I am 18.5 years of age and a soldier in the Australian Army. Yet I still play the pokemon card game with my brothers.Why?
    You'll understand when you're younger.

+ Reply to Thread