Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Change the Age to Drive from 16 to 18

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Change the Age to Drive from 16 to 18

Most accidents that occur with teenagers occur because of lack of experience. There are a lot of parents out there that don’t show their children how to drive. They just get their permit and when they reach 16 they just go ahead and get them the license; letting them go out on the road with absolutely no driving experience. If these parents aren’t going to teach them how to drive during that one year then they are most likely not going to do it during the three and if they do it won’t be much. When these children turn 18 and they are off to college with no driving experience you can almost guarantee a wreck if not a fatal one. What can we do to avoid that situation?

Someone mentioned earlier that 18 year olds are more mature then 16 year olds and that is most definitely true. Wisdom comes from age and experience after all. But driving is something that takes practice and time. If these 18 year olds are not shown how to drive then they will just be as bad of drivers as the 16 year olds.

Some have mentioned that teens that are involved with school or have to help support their families could ride a bike. That is nearly impossible for some individuals. For instance, I live on a mountain (technically a plague but we call it a mountain) and the city is below. Now, if you have ever driven up a mountain or anything of the sort then you have seen just how hilly those roads are. It would be impossible for someone to ride a bike uphill. And what about the teens that live in big city? Riding a bike as transportation can be more dangerous then driving a car. There are a lot of crazy drivers that don’t pay attention when they’re driving and it isn’t just teens. If those teens get hit by a car their chances of dying are nearly quadrupled compared if they were in a car. Maybe in a small town or in the suburbs using a bike as transportation would work but other then that not likely.

I think they should make the driver’s test stricter and require that you have taken driver’s ed. I also think that there should be more then just 30 days of driving experience with an experienced driver with you. I also think that they should have more examinations. After all, it is not only vision that determines if you are going to be a better driver or not.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Thats my point too. I cant see how they havent changed today. Ive seen tons of women drivers going too fast, doing illegal crap, and so on.
    You are usually more observant then that Miroku. They give the stats for '98 (male drivers were in 43 fatall collisions per 100,000 liscensed drivers and female drivers were in 16 fatall collisions per 100,000 licensed drivers). If you can find something more recent that disproves it I would love to see it.
    http://www.animeonline.net/debate-an...tml#post407380

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel View Post
    Some have mentioned that teens that are involved with school or have to help support their families could ride a bike. That is nearly impossible for some individuals. For instance, I live on a mountain (technically a plague but we call it a mountain) and the city is below. Now, if you have ever driven up a mountain or anything of the sort then you have seen just how hilly those roads are. It would be impossible for someone to ride a bike uphill. And what about the teens that live in big city?
    Well, lets see... my sister has worked in cities for over a decade and rides a bike because she doesn't want to pay for a car/insurance/maintenance. For 2 years she lived in the hills overlooking the city. Another 3 or 4 she lived a good 7 miles away from work through major thuroughfares. The entire time she has driven a bike and only been in two accidents both of which she came through unscathed (she wears a helmet). If it looks dangerous (snow on the road etc.) she takes the bus, a city large enough to be as dangerous as you suggest will have them you know.

Buy a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel View Post
    Riding a bike as transportation can be more dangerous then driving a car.
    Buy a helmet.

Bicycle-Related Injuries
    Each year in the United States, more than 500,000 people are nonfatally injured while riding bicycles.

* In 1999, 750 bicyclists died in crashes. More than one-quarter were children ages 5 to 15.

* More than 95% of bicyclists killed were not wearing helmets.
    Teens Behind the Wheel
    Two out of five deaths among the teens in the United States are the result of a motor vehicle crash.

* In 1999, 5,749 teens died of injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes. On average, that's one teen death on the nation's roadways every 91 minutes.

* The risk for motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16- to 19-year-olds than any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, a 16-year-old driver is seven times more likely to crash than a driver 25 to 29 years old.

* In 1999, the economic cost of police-reported crashes (both fatal and nonfatal) involving drivers ages 15 to 20 was about $32 billion.
    So 750 deaths for all ages on bicycles vs 5,749 just for teens in cars. There is simply no comparison.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel that maturity should be taken into account and those who do not pass the maturity test shouldn't even be able to get a permit until 18.

But having two seperate ages for driving would be quite the hassel....so 18 it is. Just in time to be able to drive yourself down to the voting booths.

But of course there should be a permit available to those 16....perhaps 17. This way by the time they're 18 they at least have a few miles of experience under their (seat)belt.

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

no, because

a. kids driving can help out parents alot
    b. kids diserve freedom as well

Personally, i got 0 points off on the road test. What i think should be done is make the test stricter so the idiots who screw around dont get their license

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Make the test stricter? I personally think the test is already strict enough where I am, infact it's not unusual anymore for a person to have to go 3 times to get there liscence. It took me two goes for my liscence and 3 for the permit >< lol

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

lol, i have no problems with the age changing, but most people would (meaning those affected). i really can't have a say in this tho, because i hate driving anyway.

btw: funny there frr vegeta

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Newbie CoNtR0l may be famous one day CoNtR0l may be famous one day
    Thanks

its not really a debate
    the people over 18 are
    most likely going to say u should be 18
    because they "dont want to drive on the road
    with 16 year olds"

Please I bet when u were 15 and 16 you wished or couldnt wait to drive
    I think it should stay at 16..

Anime Black-Join My Anime Forum
    http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_Black

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

A better idea would just be to raise it by one year to 17. Or like others said make the test more strict, and make the penaltys stronger for teens when they skrew up.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast