Closed Thread

Thread: Charities

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Charities

So, I was watching Poker on TV (It's usually not something that I watch, but my dad had it on in the living room, and was too lazy to move . . .), and I saw a match between a regular poker player and a priest. The poker player was playing for some charity (I forgot what it was specifically) and the priest was playing to build a church.

This got me thinking. Besides the inherent debate-ability of a priest playing poker, I thought that it was very selfish for this priest to play to build a church. Why? There are so many other, much more helpful, (and let's face it: real) charities that he could have played for. Feeding starving children, housing the homeless, giving money for better education, helping to fund programs that give clean water to poorer countries, rebuilding the rain forest, etc.

So these are my questions:
    Is the building of a church more important than other charities? Why? If you were faced with feeding a starving child or demolishing a handful of churches, which would you do? What is the most important charity? If you had a million dollars to donate to any charity/charities, which one(s) would you donate to?

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Charities

I think its a bit hard saying what is the most important charity, considering, charities play an important part in some ones life.

As for the building of the church, I can see what you mean by it being selfish, when you think of all the other charities that are struggling, but for me it depends. I mean, in some communities don't churches offer other services as well? like free counselling and stuff, youth activities and the like? I can't remember what exactly, but I know there is one church in my area that offers stuff like that. So, I guess it's what else that church is offering the community and if it's offering something else that the community doesn't have. It would seem selfish and a waste if it wasn't offering benefits to the wider community.

So if I had a million dollars, I'd probably be selfish and help those charities that help myself or my family at one stage, surf life saving clubs, make a wish foundation, cancer council.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Whether building a church trumps supporting a charity depends on what he believes in.
    I bet some people see building a church as being a charity as well.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrightShadow_96 View Post
    So, I was watching Poker on TV (It's usually not something that I watch, but my dad had it on in the living room, and was too lazy to move . . .)
    Yeah, uh huh.

how is building a church selfish? You do know that churches do charity work, right? Churches attract good people, and when good people come together, they do some pretty awesome things (i.e. help build schools, feed/cloth kids, help the poor, etc.) On top of that, it's a place for people to practice their religion. I ran in a 5k for Habitat for Humanity, guess who it was sponsored by? My parent's church. You know where my parents go to church? A movie theater. No joke, their church doesn't have a physical location so they have services at our movie theater on Sundays. Clearly you're not a church-goer, nor am I, and I'm sure your reasons for not going are as good as mine. But for a lot of people church is still a place of hope and a place to make yourself better.

So before you begrudge someone wanting to build a church, remember that when you put aside your personal beefs with a church or the religion they practice, remember at the root of the idea is charity and helping others.

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    I ran in a 5k for Habitat for Humanity, guess who it was sponsored by? My parent's church. You know where my parents go to church? A movie theater. No joke, their church doesn't have a physical location so they have services at our movie theater on Sundays.
    But that's my point: why should anyone have to build a church, when you can just donate the money that you would have used to build a church to help out with a charity? If a church can gather in a movie theater, then they should have no need to actually build the church, so that they can help out causes now rather than later. If they have the money to build a church, they have the money to go to a theater or other building instead. I understand that one of the reasons that people go to church is to practice their religion in a holy place, but if the actual reason for going to church is to help others, then that shouldn't take priority over charity.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrightShadow_96 View Post
    I understand that one of the reasons that people go to church is to practice their religion in a holy place, but if the actual reason for going to church is to help others, then that shouldn't take priority over charity.
    Yes, one reason. There can be any number of reasons a person goes to church, think about it: you have questions about the religion you're, interested in, and want to find out more from a place you would think would be a good expert on it. Maybe you've got a girlfriend you're trying to keep happy, perhaps you're in a dark moment in your life and you're looking for a way better yourself, maybe you feel guilty for not going to church for so long and want to try and be good by going back, maybe you're looking for a good community to network with. My point remains, people are going to have a variety of reasons they went to a church, and sometimes maybe they don't even really know why they came.

Think about what a church represents on a symbolic level: it's supposed to be a place of atonement, a place to gather with other believers and practice teachings, a safe haven. Now picture how you're going to find this place if you don't know where to look? You could live in an area all your life and never know where the church was because they were having services in a ****in' basement under a bar for all you know. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Churches are no more expensive to build than a community center or charity headquarters, in fact, they're probably cheaper. Here's some quotes on cost/ft. for a church that this man was trying to build:
    Google Answers: Estimation cost to build a church

Another point, how is donating to a charity so noble? You think all the money you give to a charity is used to help those they claim to be helping? A majority of it we would hope, but think what costs they have to cover in order to keep their organization afloat, living off donations and endorsements of people just trying to improve their image. Search online, you'll find stories of scandal. In the end, no cause is more noble then the other, both a church and a charity help our communities in different ways. Charities are there at ground zero as it were, helping those who need it through money, education, etc. Churches also help people to improve themselves spiritually and bring a sense of community to everyone. And the thing those two organizations share in common? They both need a place to call home, be it a church or headquarters, whatever. It can be anywhere, you're right, but when you say its selfish to build a church I'm sorry, but it's not. It's no more selfish than building a headquarters for a charity or paying a charity CEO $300,000 a year.

Newbie DarkDragon is off to a good start
    Thanks

lol I cant actually speak in this one because of my pastor roots but i will quote this:

Give a man a fish and he eates for a day,
    teach a man to fish and he'll feed himself for life.

Basicly charity is a stupidity that takes the wrong route
    they should put all that money into getting these people jobs they can do..
    EVEN THE CRIPPLES CAN THINK...

If you need more convincing go watch Dilbert...
    Last edited by DarkDragon; Feb 08, 2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: one last thing

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

To quote the Forum Rules...
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 1 month or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    Please read the Forum Rules located here... Anime Online - FAQ: GENERAL RULES:
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread