+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

Child Abuse?! How absurd!
    (there are instances where parents encourage over eating, but I dunno that thats all to common)

How many of you are obese?... How many of you have been an obese child?
    Compulsive overeating (which is why many people are overweight) is an addiction. Blaming parents for a childs addiction. Is simular to blaming children for a parents addiction. Would you blame the children of a crack addicted mother?

Discovering that overeating actually can produce a "high" feeling... Isn't that hard. It can be found out without the parent even knowing!

Many people with this addiction do things like sneak food, and eat alone.

Not to mention, you can also end up obese simply because of your genetic make up.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    As I may have mentioned previously, I work in children's retail. A few days ago we had a customer trying to buy uniforms for her fifteen-year-old daughter. Unfortunately, we could only special order the clothes because the girl wore a size 5XL (that's XXXXX-Large) and we only carried up to 3XL. I've looked around and it seems children are much . . . larger than children were even ten years ago. Childhood obesity is a (excuse the pun) growing problem. Do you blame the parents? Do you think that childhood obesity is a form of child abuse?
    a size 5XL?!! good lard (can't help it)!!! i think children should be taught to value their bodies by applying control and discipline.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Child Abuse?! How absurd!
    (there are instances where parents encourage over eating, but I dunno that thats all to common)

How many of you are obese?... How many of you have been an obese child?
    Compulsive overeating (which is why many people are overweight) is an addiction. Blaming parents for a child's addiction. Is similar to blaming children for a parents addiction. Would you blame the children of a crack addicted mother?

Discovering that overeating actually can produce a "high" feeling... Isn't that hard. It can be found out without the parent even knowing!

Many people with this addiction do things like sneak food, and eat alone.

Not to mention, you can also end up obese simply because of your genetic make up.
    And how were they introduced to this addiction? By the parents. I know they can get some of the food else where, but the parents control most of what there kids eat. Also some schools allow parents to set up a restricted menu for their kids. They can also talk to the parents of there friends as to what they can eat. So unless its a genetic thing parents can keep there kids from becoming fat if they do this and make em play and exercise.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Speaking from a fat kids POV. I disagree.

At home I would just walk into the kitchen unnoticed and stand at the refridgerator and eat. My parents would be asleep or busy. My mother was\is a health nut. Always had healthy food, she didn't buy sugary things. Always whole grain bread. But I over ate that stuff too, over eating ANYTHING will result in obesity.

At school other kids would give me food they did not want.

My friends parents? They knew I was fat (it was clear), they also thought of me as a cute\good kid... being as they knew food made me "happy" they would offer me goodies. Even though my parents didn't approve. Its extremely hard for a parent to dictate what someone else does in thier home.

From a parents POV. There are some things you just can't control. You really can't contol another human being.. period. And to TRY to do so, can be abusive. All you can do is encourage people to do right, and set a good example.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Otaku Spooked_Ninja may be famous one day Spooked_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

I really think it's a contribution of a lot of things.
    It's more than video games, cause it it was the video games then children in Japan (the video game paradise) would be really huge. So it's not video games alone, here are the contributing factors.

1. Laziness
    This occurs whenever we want to set down and play video games, sit and watch TV or yap on the phone. When they come home from school, most ride the bus or they get a ride..no one ever walks or bikes anymore.

2.Habits
    A lot of what you do at home will reflect on you /your parents/ your family.
    And if you just let this kid eat whatever he wants to eat, or not tell them to get a gym subscription...then thats pretty bad. Most children that are obese have obese parents (or sympathetic) themselves.

3.Diet
    If you take a good look at the back of the nutrition boxes on the back of whatever you buy, they state that you should eat a specific serving.
    Most people never do..(including myself) but look a little closer at the ingredients...you'll find "high fructose corn syrup" and "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil". Those are alien substances to the human body...your body doesn't know what to do with them(they have no nutritional value)...and so the sit in your body...obesity is linked directly to this studies have suggested. And when the 2nd factor takes a part in this, then
    you just get fat...candies and other things used to be made with real stuff.
    but changes in production found "cheaper substances".
    Yep...says so in "the abs diet".

and 4. Porking
    All kids eat these days is junk food, no veggies no fruits...
    not that it's a bad thing but...c'mon the food triangle don't exsist for nothing.
    most obese children see something and want it...the love to eat, thats what they do (seen lots of documentaries) as unhealthy as it is..they just pork themselves that way....and combined with no excersize...then look what you get...cause you can walk or bike...thats easy..you don't have to get a bowflex...so get that ass up!!

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

ok im NOT obes but i am heay .....
    and i dont belive its child abuse with me .... being a bit over weght
    but like getting bullyed or anything like that can make a child obes or even anarxic.... no one knows why people are the way they are.... i think im just lazy .... ( i do got lots of friends but there not true so i dont hing out with them not cos im lazy its cos i dont really liek them im nice to them)
    so really anything can make a person obse or even anarxic.........

Newbie Truth may be famous one day Truth may be famous one day Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally don't believe so. My sister is...quite large(Cuz I feel bad for calling her the F word). But of course it wasn't our moms fault. She would sneak food. My mom tried to stop her, but its kinda hard seein' as my sister used to do it in the middle of the night. but in my own opinion...my sister is to blame for her condition. so no i do not believe its abuse.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Speaking from a fat kids POV. I disagree.

At home I would just walk into the kitchen unnoticed and stand at the refridgerator and eat. My parents would be asleep or busy. My mother was\is a health nut. Always had healthy food, she didn't buy sugary things. Always whole grain bread. But I over ate that stuff too, over eating ANYTHING will result in obesity.

At school other kids would give me food they did not want.

My friends parents? They knew I was fat (it was clear), they also thought of me as a cute\good kid... being as they knew food made me "happy" they would offer me goodies. Even though my parents didn't approve. Its extremely hard for a parent to dictate what someone else does in thier home.

From a parents POV. There are some things you just can't control. You really can't contol another human being.. period. And to TRY to do so, can be abusive. All you can do is encourage people to do right, and set a good example.

True, you cant watch your kids all the time, as they will do what you did. You can do things to help though. Like making good healthy meals for them, and not just being lazy and going Mc D's every night. I know parents are busy now a days, but when its your child health, they need to make time.
    Parents can also make sure they get out and play, and put down the joystick.

Nope you cant control another human being, but you can try to teach them some good eating habits. Like when there hungry give em some fruit or something, not hand them a bag of chips. Also dont let em have regular soda, give em a diet one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast