+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    As I may have mentioned previously, I work in children's retail. A few days ago we had a customer trying to buy uniforms for her fifteen-year-old daughter. Unfortunately, we could only special order the clothes because the girl wore a size 5XL (that's XXXXX-Large) and we only carried up to 3XL. I've looked around and it seems children are much . . . larger than children were even ten years ago. Childhood obesity is a (excuse the pun) growing problem. Do you blame the parents? Do you think that childhood obesity is a form of child abuse?
    Well, it depends really. I believe that it's a matter of how the parents raise the child. Sometimes--and I stress the word sometimes--parents have no control over the way thier child grows. But most of the time it's a matter of what the parents are feeding thier kids and how often the child eats.

If a child's parents are the latter of the two, then yeah; I'd consider that child abuse. You ever watch the Maury show, when they have parents of morbidly obese children on? Their kids are huge!!! Two years old and eatin' combo meals from McDonald's and s***!! "So what if my baby's big?! If he wants to eat, let him eat!!! I ain't gonna let my baby starve!" So you'd rather have a log for a child??? That ain't right. >_<

You could moderate his eating habits, and kids don't starve to death if they haven't eaten in five minutes. That's just gross.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked_Ninja View Post
    I really think it's a contribution of a lot of things.
    It's more than video games, cause it it was the video games then children in Japan (the video game paradise) would be really huge. So it's not video games alone, here are the contributing factors.
    All kids eat these days is junk food, no veggies no fruits...
    not that it's a bad thing but...c'mon the food triangle don't exsist for nothing.
    most obese children see something and want it...the love to eat, thats what they do (seen lots of documentaries) as unhealthy as it is..they just pork themselves that way....and combined with no excersize...then look what you get...cause you can walk or bike...thats easy..you don't have to get a bowflex...so get that ass up!!
    You bring up some very good points. Do you think that parents should remove the junk food from the house so that what is available are healthier choices, and limit technology time (like thirty minutes on the video games for every hour spent outside)?

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

ok wel at my school your not alowed salt and now this year our tuck shop has been cleard no candy what so every all you get is like apples ect witch will be good for us all and like i dont eat at school so me ok anyways me stick to gum chuwin all day keeps me goin lol >_<

Otaku Spooked_Ninja may be famous one day Spooked_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    You bring up some very good points. Do you think that parents should remove the junk food from the house so that what is available are healthier choices, and limit technology time (like thirty minutes on the video games for every hour spent outside)?

Well junk food is very quick, it should just be eaten in moderation.
    Healthier choices would be an occasional yogurt smoothie,
    any fruit, and more juices rather than soda. Cause my personal opinion on sodas is they don't taste good to me anymore haha. And if the parents cracked down on the children about eating....when you get a certain size..there should be a limit on the foods they eat. But really my healthy

choice is the one i do every day...think fullmetal alchemst about this one...
    I eat 3 snickers....hmm what must i do...how about i just dance to my fave song or something or something....it's equivalent exchange...if i eat i have to burn it off...it's kinda like fill up a car and leaving it....not even driving it..

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

It's ridiculous to consider child obesity any more "child abuse" than any other condition caused by the environment in which a child is raised. To a certain point, it is left to parents to raise their children and instill values in them.

What next? Spoiled children? Crybabies? Aggressive kids? ADD? Religious zealotry?

Who's to say that raising a fat child is any worse than raising one who walks up to strangers and extolls the virtues of finding Jesus? One who is raised in a less conventional religion? A child raised athiest? How about one who walks up to other kids and punches them? Kids who use profanity? Beat up their siblings? Push? Shove? One who is kind, but naieve enough to trust strangers? Kids who steal compulsively? Kids who give things away even if they don't belong to them? Kids who lie? Kids who make up stories?

There are other factors at work as well: genetics, a child's own personality and desires, diseases, regional factors, social factors...

To suggest that something so complex that a majority of American adults can't manage on their OWN is somehow entirely a parent's responsiblity is silly. And to say that being fat is a factor of abuse both makes it something that people can forever after AVOID taking responsibilty for themselves and makes obesity in general something awful akin to having been raped or beaten.

Parents should raise their own children. It's none of our business how they are raised unless their lives are (immediately) in danger.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

That's always an issue with people isn't it? If the effects are directly affecting anyone then it's a big deal (eg. a parent hitting a child)

Yet, if the effects don't show for another 10 or so years..who cares lets do it anyway.

The reason why I think, it is a form of child abuse, is becuase that it will cause serious damage in the future to a child. if not addressed.

Sure they can eat what they want now, it doesn't matter that when they are older they can get diabete's, shortness of breath, heart attacks, heart disease. I mean hey it's not effecting them now, so who really cares?

I'm not saying that parents should be punished for what they are doing. As tsurara said It's none of our damn business how they are raised provided that they are in immediate danger.

But it still comes into that catergory. There are many forms of Child Abuse, I think Childhood obesity can fall in to it aswell.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The reason why I think, it is a form of child abuse, is becuase that it will cause serious damage in the future to a child. if not addressed.
    So will being a spoiled brat or a bigot (I would argue those will cause more long term damage to both the child and the society they live in). But we can't interfere with that without intefering with the right of a parent to raise their children any way they like.

I don't approve of parents swearing in front of their children, telling them lies, or deliberately giving them misinformation... I don't approve of children growing up in projects or in large cities without parks to play in... I don't approve of parents dying their children's hair or putting their little girls in middriff tops and high heeled shoes. I don't approve of parents leaving 7 year olds home alone for hours at a time. I don't approve of Pro-lifers bringing their children to hold signs that say "God Hates Murderers" outside of Planned Parenthood. I don't approve of a lot of things: but it's none of my (or the government's business). It is a parent's right to raise their children how they deem fit.

What you think is good parenting, I may think is reprehensible.

For example: I think DENYING a hungry child food because they have a genetic tendency toward obesity is cruel. I think calling your child names or sending them to fat camps or doctors for something they feel they can't change is just as damaging emotionally as being obese is physically.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that there r some many factors that go inta this issue that it's hard ta single one, specific, thing out. U could blame the parents, u could blame the schools, u could blame genetics or society, but in the end it's the kids that r sufferin'; even if they don' seem like it. Like I said before "there's plenty of blame ta go around." The real ques is "What ta do 'bout it?"

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast