+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    It's ridiculous to consider child obesity any more "child abuse" than any other condition caused by the environment in which a child is raised. To a certain point, it is left to parents to raise their children and instill values in them.

What next? Spoiled children? Crybabies? Aggressive kids? ADD? Religious zealotry?
    I'm not talking about genetic obesity. Some families run heavier than others. I'm talking about the parents who let their children gorge themselves, who think that food is a healthy substitute for something else (i.e. affection). Besides, I think that spoiling children is a minor form of abuse; it puts them at a great disadvantage for the rest of their lives.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    So will being a spoiled brat or a bigot (I would argue those will cause more long term damage to both the child and the society they live in). But we can't interfere with that without intefering with the right of a parent to raise their children any way they like.

I don't approve of parents swearing in front of their children, telling them lies, or deliberately giving them misinformation... I don't approve of children growing up in projects or in large cities without parks to play in... I don't approve of parents dying their children's hair or putting their little girls in middriff tops and high heeled shoes. I don't approve of parents leaving 7 year olds home alone for hours at a time. I don't approve of Pro-lifers bringing their children to hold signs that say "God Hates Murderers" outside of Planned Parenthood. I don't approve of a lot of things: but it's none of my (or the government's business). It is a parent's right to raise their children how they deem fit.

What you think is good parenting, I may think is reprehensible.

For example: I think DENYING a hungry child food because they have a genetic tendency toward obesity is cruel. I think calling your child names or sending them to fat camps or doctors for something they feel they can't change is just as damaging emotionally as being obese is physically.
    The major difference between being a spoilt brat and Childhood obesity is that if your a spoit brat doesn't mean that your chances of getting heart disease and dieing young are high. But if you believe it is, good for you, child abuse comes in many forms.

I don't care what people think 'good parenting' are, I don't care how people raise their children, as I said in my last post, I agree with you, no one has the right to tell some one how to raise their children

I never said you had to deny a child food, because they are genetic tendacy towards obesity. I never said you had to call them names, take them to fat camps or doctors. as you said, it's cruel and damaging.

nor do you have to address the child that way, though I do believe they have to be addressed some way so that they can learn

what I am saying is that not doing anything about it, knowing that your child has a problem with obesity, can be put under child child abuse. Like I said above child abuse can come in many forms
    Last edited by _gwenibe_; Aug 14, 2007 at 01:51 PM.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

For example: I think DENYING a hungry child food because they have a genetic tendency toward obesity is cruel. I think calling your child names or sending them to fat camps or doctors for something they feel they can't change is just as damaging emotionally as being obese is physically.
    Knowbody wants to deny a person(with a genetic tendency toward obesity) food, just more carefully monitor what they eat. You cant change it, but it can be helped somewhat. Not all of these doctors and fat camps are out to hurt the kids. Some are there to help them to learn to eat right by changing the behaviors of how they eat.

Otaku Spooked_Ninja may be famous one day Spooked_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Child Obesity = Child Abuse?

But if you think about the individuals themselves...then sometimes it's not always the parents, some kids just eat way too much, and when they leave out, who knows where they go, they could be hitting up fast food places while they are on a diet (seen it a lot)

So sometimes it's hard to catch them in the act if they aren't eating at home And some may go eat at other places, including: small stores,
    vending machines, at a friends house. A Cause if they don't get it..it's more than likely they'll sneak it

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked_Ninja View Post
    So sometimes it's hard to catch them in the act if they aren't eating at home And some may go eat at other places, including: small stores,
    vending machines, at a friends house. A Cause if they don't get it..it's more than likely they'll sneak it
    But parents should know where their children are. If they leave the house, the parents should either go with them, or (in the case of school) be able to contact someone with the child (if not the child him/herself). I know kids can lie about their whereabouts while shoving half an ice cream sandwich down their throats, but shouldn't the parents have more control?

Newbie Guardiandemonhate is off to a good start Guardiandemonhate's Avatar
    Thanks

i think it could be included in child abuse. its not right to not teach your child when they should eat and when they just feel like eating something. or in other words healthy eating habits. its like slowly killing your child. almost equal to letting your child smoke cigs.
    time dies with me

Newbie hendo24 is off to a good start
    Thanks

I believe it to be too dep a subject to label it abuse, thier are households that encourage a diet that causes severe weight gain and households that encourage healthy diets and exersize, ur weight doesnt always react to these things though! when i was small i had such a healthy way of eating it was obsurd id eat anything and was giving all the right foods, however i was force fed at one point and ever since then my diet is beyond terrible is seen phsyciatrists and doctors about it and still nothing however my weight has never been affeted, i think this causes me to believe that a persons weight is effected by 2 things, a persons biological makeup and a persons personality. thier are people that can abuse themselves and not reape the effects and people who can treat themselfes like everyone else and for some reason be effected like other people are`nt, i think people now a days are gaining more weight due to the increase of fast food places and general ecceptance of sitting inside for days on end playing games and watching TV. no matter how good your motabalism is everyone needs to stretch thier legs and get some fresh air! But how do u force i child to do that? forcing someone to do something you whant will never get the effect you desire! the only way to get exactly what you whant from a child would be to get them to do it out of free will. this is my beliefe

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

if we don't take genetic matters into consideration the yes child obesity is something that the parents either didn't care about because they're not or they hate their children !!!! anyway i think a father or a mother that don't give their troubled son at least a piece of advice are criminals towards their own children because even if the child was happy during his childhood he will just grow up and will be shocked when he realizes some reality facts related to his case and on top of that when parents leave their son like that it's just like they prepare him to die earlier than his time if he was healthy and more over he will become the target of heart attacks in the future
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast