+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are Children Really innocent?

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are Children Really innocent?

Even so, that doesnt mean they should be tried as adults. Not until they grow up, and learn the distinction between right and wrong, and get wiser. They will learn about how their actions have affected them, and will grow from it. Locking little kids away for life will just throw away lives, making them worthless. they'd be better off being aborted as a embryo..

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Namida Goddess View Post
    I believe that children up to a certain age are innocent. They cannot grasp what is going on in the world around them no matter how horrible and it should be kept that way for as long as possible. And as far as how books have changed, in what way would you like to introduce your child to the world? With fear that every little thing that they do will make them suffer and others suffer or let them be optimistic that the world can be an amazing place to grow up in with many opportunities to do good such as the heroes created in the books that talk about fairies and knights and such.

But reality is, there are children that are dealing with lifes horrors, children who see war, famine, rape, murder. I think children grasp more than what people think they do. They just need help with dealing with it and understand the reasons why. I suppose if a child grew up all rosey, there would be no need. But should we hide children from issues like terrorism, climate change, sexual predators, pedophilea? I'm not saying tell them the whole lot, but, should we not tell them that there are people out there who do bad things? We say we are protecting them by not telling them, but for the last two examples I mentioned, should we not tell them that there are bad people out there, hence stay away from stangers?

And why hide the truth of whats happening in the world? Why should they not learn that wars happen? I mean, we seem fine to tell them that WW2 happen and encourage them to participate in Rememberance/ ANZAC day ceremonies, yet we want to hide them from issues such as terrorsim and current wars?

Actually this reminds me of an article I read a while back (sorry, have no references to it T_T) talking of a book that came out whose underlying message was of teaching children the dangers of child predators or something the like. Some thought it was a good idea, others slammed it.

I would think that by introducing these issues to children, through books, or more likely through their questions ( and answered correctly/appropriately) would help eliminate any fear that they do and be even more optimistic about there own lives. I mean, what do children think when they see the news ? But please, any parents out there, feel free to disagree/agree, I know for a fact that knowing about it would be different if one was a parent ^_^;;

Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    Even so, that doesnt mean they should be tried as adults. Not until they grow up, and learn the distinction between right and wrong, and get wiser. They will learn about how their actions have affected them, and will grow from it. Locking little kids away for life will just throw away lives, making them worthless. they'd be better off being aborted as a embryo..
    not to say that we should lock them away for life, or tried as adults, but it seems being tried as a minor isn't doing anything either. Basically, what is happening with some cases is that they are being told 'naughty boy' yet, no real punishment is being done. What is that teaching them? That if you do something bad, all you'll get is a slap on the wrist, is that not encouraging them to commit crimes again becaue the punishment is minimal? We are saying that an 11 year old hasn't truely learnt right from wrong through life experiances, yet we are also saying that it's ok to teach them that they can get away with things in life, due to this 'early learning' of minimal punishment.

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Well then i'd have to say that its inevitable and theres nothing we can do about it.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Well then i'd have to say that its inevitable and theres nothing we can do about it.
    That's awfully cynical. Can't we be responsible parents and role models and raise them correctly so that there's less of a chance of them turning up corrupt?

Thanks

No. Because the only way to do that would be limiting the children and shielding them from the outside world. Keeping them away from friends, telling them who they can and can't hang out with, what they're allowed to watch, where they can go, just treating them like the parents own them as property. The children will begin to resent their parents.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    Why/ Why not are we hiding children from realities of the world and Should we be?
    because children have to grow up to an extent in a normal kiddy manner ...
    Are children really innocent - why, why not?
    they're innocent but selfish and the prove is that the child is always imitating what his older people does .. so it is always "bad" children come from "bad" parent people .. and because children sight of thoughts is limited they seek selfishly to accomplish their desires in anyway (they don't know yet if it is good or bad it is just a way to get something) so they would be handled if they were to be told what's right and what's wrong ...
    What about children who commit serious crimes? Should they get similar punishment to their adult conterparts?
    no but minor ones should do in my opinion but they mustn't be left unpunished because they would do the mistake again expecting to be forgiven again too ..
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku BrokenLover101 is off to a good start BrokenLover101's Avatar
    Somewhere where only simplicity can take me
    Thanks

I guess this thread stems on to the many other children thread there are -

I've just finished a year of doing a children and youth literature course, and through out it there were many discussions about the portrayal as the 'Child as innocent'.

Children these days are often seen as innocent, can do nothing wrong etc etc. We seem to want to hide them from the reality of life (death,wars, murder, rape, sex etc etc).

So for example, one arguement that was brought up in class is how books have changed. Once open a time books told the harsh realities of life ( such as a book called Struwelpter which harshly told of what would happen to naughty boys and girls) today, books seems to hide realities of life with cute little fairies or dinosaurs.

Also, the point was brought up that children too are also just humans capable of doing right or wrong.

another example, we know of stories of children commiting serious crimes, some of them get away free with just a slap on the wrist, yet if an adult did the same thing, fines and jail would be the punishment.

So my questions to AO:

Why/ Why not are we hiding children from realities of the world and Should we be?

What about children who commit serious crimes? Should they get similar punishment to their adult conterparts?

explore AO

btw these are nesecarily my views, just a start of a discussion, I shall add my bit later

Parents try to hide the reality of the world from their kids to keep them young and innocent until they are ready to know for themselves and are ready to handle knowing about the world. If you show it to them young it causes damage. Mental, social, emotional. They learn enough about it in the news and on t.v they really don’t need to be pushing them along.

Are children innocent?... To some extent. They have their virginity in case they don’t give that away too. If they didn’t have their virginity I would say no, that they aren’t innocent because their minds are filled with the sex and violence you see on tv, not including what they see in real life. Music is surrounded by sex, drugs and violence.

… I can’t really answer this because my experience is different. The parents and the children would suffer if we treated them like adults but then again there are some things that cannot be helped. Say a 7 year old is rapped by her older brother whose 11. Should he be charged for rape and sent to jail at the age of 11? No, that would tramatize the kid for life and may send him out on a killing spree when he get s out. Now for 16 year olds. Yeah, send them to jail because they want to be treated like an adult at that age so why the hell shouldn’t they?

X.x.X The only thing I'll ever want... X.x.X

X.x.X Is for you to love me the way I love you.. X.x.X

Otaku arekandera is off to a good start arekandera's Avatar
    Thanks

Because people believe it's better to wait till the children are older to tell them certain things.Sometimes hidding is a good thing other times it isn't

I don't think they are because the world that surrounds them makes them grow to fast and loose their childhood to soon

Not the similar punishment,but they should be punished so they would learn that what they did wasn't good

No. Because the only way to do that would be limiting the children and shielding them from the outside world. Keeping them away from friends, telling them who they can and can't hang out with, what they're allowed to watch, where they can go, just treating them like the parents own them as property. The children will begin to resent their parents.
    mellow maromi sometimes it's better if your parents defend you from the world by telling you who to hang out with,what to watch or where to go, because children are young and don't always know what's good or bad for them so it's better for their parents to warn them not always telling them:"no" but always warn them about what might happen.This way the children are capable of making the right decission.

… I can’t really answer this because my experience is different. The parents and the children would suffer if we treated them like adults but then again there are some things that cannot be helped. Say a 7 year old is rapped by her older brother whose 11. Should he be charged for rape and sent to jail at the age of 11? No, that would tramatize the kid for life and may send him out on a killing spree when he get s out. Now for 16 year olds. Yeah, send them to jail because they want to be treated like an adult at that age so why the hell shouldn’t they?
    Things can be helped and i don't mean we should send the 11 years old one to jail but he should be punished for what he did,not the way we would punish the 16 years old one but still punished.They want to be treated like and adult at 16 and sometimes they should be treated this way.

"If you need something to worship, then worship life - all life, every last crawling bit of it! We're all in this beauty together!" - Frank Herbert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast