+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: China and the olympics

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: China and the olympics

yes, and a lot of disturbing things have been dug up about china and what it did in the past on the sites of the olympics are taking place. the pangu plaza for example is a perfect example of this. where human right were forgoten, and students were killed for protesting. This is where most people go to take picture of the beautiful stadiums are, and where most olympic bound tourist see as the center of the olympic experience. I must say though that even with all the human right violations and wat not china has been able to produce some extremely beautiful architecture for the olympics.
    every rose has a thorn

Otaku clover may be famous one day clover may be famous one day clover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    But how many people have to suffer before China is 'ready to change their ways'? Is it right to say that, its ok that people suffer now because they are going to 'change there ways' later or when they are ready?

We have a right to criticise China mainly because we know one thing - It's not right for any government to use force to oppress the people of its own country. It is not right that people don't have a choice about things that affect them directly as well as there families. And as humans we have that right of free will - to be able to choose and not be prosecuted for it.

We like to say that politics stays out of sports, in reality it doesn't. Plus should sports ever be put above human rights? imo no it shouldn't

but as for the Olympics, I think that its good that China got it. In a way all this publicity that it is getting is showing the world about what China is about the good and the bad, like aceman said.
    yea thats true, but all of our counrties have used force to stop something at one point in time or another, but people will say what they want to say, even if nobody likes hearing it. No its not right, but all countries have their own way of dealing with things, and many countries do things that the people dont know about.
    there always cases like this somewhere in the world and history. The only way thats going to change is if the the country itself makes the effort to change, you cant change it for them, because they will only retaliate. Its the same thing that goes on every where else, but on a bigger scale because it was broadcasted around the world.

Its good that china is showing what its got even though america is winning alot of metals. Thats the point though they have to be able to show they can get along with everyone else, even though they are having a rough go like with the tourch and the protests, critisim from everyone else.

..........nothing is true, everything is permitted..........

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sangogirl View Post
    okay all of you have probably heard of the protesting that was going on with the olympics being in bejing this year, especially about the tibetan problem. what do you guys think. should the olympics should have been held in china this year. keep in mind what the olympics are suppose to mean as a symbol of global unity and the consequences that has happened because of it, for example the attacking of the olympic torch.
    i think that where the olympics is held should rotate to different countries in a certain pattern every 4 years...im not so sure how it ended up in beijing, but i know it was in Athens in 04'

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Newbie Anime Crazy08 is off to a good start Anime Crazy08's Avatar
    Thanks
    you know michel phelps is rich, all because he got 8 gold medals. i bet you he cheated! HaHaHa

Quote Originally Posted by sangogirl View Post
    do u think that china might change some of it's policies after the olympics because of all the bad rep it's getting, or do you think that the protesting isn't going to get any where at all.
    I think that china will change some policies after the olympics not only because of the bad rep but also of the crime that has happened since the olympics started.
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Aug 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    i think that where the olympics is held should rotate to different countries in a certain pattern every 4 years...im not so sure how it ended up in beijing, but i know it was in Athens in 04'
    They do rotate on who gets to hold the next Olympics, the only reason why any one let China hold it this time is for two reasons. One being that they were making a big fuss about it and throwing a tantrum like a little child. And secondly is because we (The world) knew it would bring some heat down on China and have much more active talks about Human rights and all that as well as to allow the people there to have their voices heard because China wouldn’t be able to do squat (making certain people disappear) while it stood in the spot light of the world other then show us exactly how they treated "trouble makers" by their definition. This involved beating of peaceful pro democratic protesters. This only makes them look even more like an ass.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that perhaps it might not be a good idea to have the olympics anywhere where it might start violence. like for example rwanda would be the epitamy of bad olympic location, but perhaps almost all 3rd world countries should not be allowed to host, including strict dictatorships. I mean, it would really suck if they have the olympics in cuba, which is basically the poorer latin version of china. Perhaps we shouldn't let any dictorship hold the olympics.
    every rose has a thorn

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

I just love this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    They do rotate on who gets to hold the next Olympics, the only reason why any one let China hold it this time is for two reasons. One being that they were making a big fuss about it and throwing a tantrum like a little child.
    Wrong. This is the first time Beijing has ever hosted the Olympics, and the location for each Olympics is chosen by the IOC Committee by voting. It doesn't rotate like say the Super Bowl does. Show me where the fussing and whining is. If you wanna blame someone blame the IOC committee for voting it that way. I bet all the cities that lost out try to bribed the IOC just as much as China, just that China probably had more to offer.

And secondly is because we (The world) knew it would bring some heat down on China and have much more active talks about Human rights and all that as well as to allow the people there to have their voices heard because China wouldn’t be able to do squat (making certain people disappear) while it stood in the spot light of the world other then show us exactly how they treated "trouble makers" by their definition. This involved beating of peaceful pro democratic protesters. This only makes them look even more like an ass.
    What a joke, the IOC is probably the last organization to bring any "heat" on any country. I think they are probably as backbone-less as the UN. The only way to bring heat is to not buy anything that is made in China. Unfortunately that is impossible because our CEO friends here aren't willing to part with a few billion in revenues for the sake of human rights.

Not to make light of what China does to protesters (peaceful or w/ an agenda) you should check out what North Korea does to protesting farmers. Have you seen a watermelon cracked open with a bat?? Yeah kinda like that.

Once again like I said, in a decade this will change. The rapid changes and influence from the Western world will force the government to change their ways. Considering how much people they have and we have, imagine what happens if they sudden allow so much freedom in a short time. The government will learn that corruption and lack of respect for intellectual property will end up hurting them.

Final thing I want to remind you all is that you think just because we are in the US with the internet that you know everything. In many ways you don't, because you only know as much as the media wants you to know. Warping of facts and sensationalizing the stories can allow the media to shape the way you think and see things. You might think you are forming your own opinion but are you really?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Um thats what I was meaning on rotating on who gets it as in voted upon who get it next. How ever, China was acting like that kid in class with their hand raised going OH, PICK ME, PICK ME!! So we all said "What the hell, lets give it to them. In the process we can sit down and talk about a few things with their leader."

By "bring the heat down on China" I was refering to by putting them in the political spot light of the world. Also having a boycot on traid good will not push them towards change any faster.

As for North Korea, NK is a loose cannon and has to be treated as such, China is the only one holding NK's leash and even then North Korea doesnt always listen to them. The best thing we can do with them is try to nudge them in the right direction, but if we poke them to much they simply clam up and end talks.

I agree, with you on that, change is taking place and we cant speed it up to much because their gov. is not ready for a sudden 180 with out it crumbling.

Yes we all know that the media has a habbit of making things a bigger issue then it really is and like to spin it off for them to get the best raiting and yes its a sad fact that a number of people buy into it all whole heartedly that they become pretty flippen ignorant, how ever, it's up to the person to weed out the fact from fiction and see through the garbage they tend to spit out and form your own opinion. The problem is that we can only form our opinion after weeding the fact from fiction from what we are getting which means we really dont have much of a choice on where we get our information from because its all going to on points of biast any way no matter where you look, no matter if its here in the US or over sea's the story will always be spun around do to biast.

Also... Calm down.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast