+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cigarettes (Or: "Squares for Squares?")

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Cigarettes (Or: "Squares for Squares?")

Over the past few years or so, I've been seeing--and I'm sure you all have as well--massive amounts of anti-tobacco commercials. Now, I'm not gonna defend "Big Tobbaco", because I myself am trying to quit; but WTF, man??

I mean, as smokers we know the consequences of smoking cigs and we choose to accept those consequences. Why do we keep hearing people on television griping about cancer and emphyzema like it's a new epidemic or something?

Then, here in Minnesota--and probably a few other states--we've got a LARGE tobacco tax, a smoking ban which prevents us from enjoying our death sticks in public areas (which really sucks because I used to hang out at the arcade and smoke cigs and play DDR all day), and teens who are hired by truth.com to harrass us in to quitting.

They almost got me last year, but I'm quitting for my own reasons this year. Anywho, what's your opinion about anti-tobacco campaigns? Are they truly necessary? Why when half the nation smokes and knows they'll die sooner, would the other half ridicule us for our own adult decisions? I don't mind that they're tryin' to keep kids from smoking. I was a kid when I started and wouldn't want anyone younger than me to start that young. BUT, if you're gonna go against something, campaign against something worth fighting against. Like coccaine/meth, alchohol abuse, CRIME... You catch my drift.

Let's talk tobacco!

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cigarettes (Or: "Squares for Squares?")

well a while ago, I saw a very good quote about cigarettes.
    it went like this.

A beer reduces your life span by 4 minutes,
    A cigarette reduces your life span by 8 minutes,
    A day of work reduces your life span by 8 hours,
    you do the math.

as for the whole anti tabacco campaigns and all these bans and taxes,
    why should the government even try to stop those who wish to smoke?
    as I see it, the taxes and levies and such taken from the cost of cigarettes,
    help the government keep the country, safe. ETC
    and they don't even see this. go figure.

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

In my opinion...i think those commercial are very good.....especially for the teens and young kids......and they are trying to prevent them from smoking or starting from smoking....
    i do not think that it is really necessary for the adults....because they probably do not give a bloke about it......
    I know of a relative that started smoking when he was fifteen and he is tough as a nail at an age of sixty-four........it all depends on the person......
    I am neutral about smoking..........but if you bring that stuff unto me...then we have a problem......
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

It's just a side effect of the environmental craze. People are starting to get worried more and more about the climate. Health care and the aging process is also a big thing in the rich countries. Tobacco is an obvious target.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    In my opinion...i think those commercial are very good.....especially for the teens and young kids......and they are trying to prevent them from smoking or starting from smoking....
    i do not think that it is really necessary for the adults....because they probably do not give a bloke about it......
    I know of a relative that started smoking when he was fifteen and he is tough as a nail at an age of sixty-four........it all depends on the person......
    I am neutral about smoking..........but if you bring that stuff unto me...then we have a problem......
    I can understand keeping the younglings from smoking, that's not a problem. But when they try to make GROWN ADULTS quit something they CHOSE to do--knowing fully that they accepted the consequences of disease/death--that's crossing the line. I'm 27 years old. I don't need people telling me when I can and can't smoke. I don't appreciate the media telling me stuff I already know about tobacco and telling me I'm going to die. EVERYBODY DIES! It's just sickening how 5/8 of commercials are talking about how everyone should just quit smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    It's just a side effect of the environmental craze. People are starting to get worried more and more about the climate. Health care and the aging process is also a big thing in the rich countries. Tobacco is an obvious target.
    With that being said, shouldn't they just let the smokers smoke? What ever happened to "survival of the fittest"? Do you know how ridiculous it's getting here in MN? I've seen ads at bus stops saying things like, "Take it outside!" And they're talking about your own home!! I can understand that Denny's got tired of hearing people bitch and whine about smoke in resturaunts, but when they try to tell me I can't smoke in my own home... Ugh... I'm glad I'm quitting on the first.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The assumption here is that those commercials are targetted at grown adults who are perfectly capable of making decisions reguarding their own health... when in reality I'm pretty sure that most PSAs I've seen are shooting for a younger audience or are about public-interest/more obscure issues like second-hand smoke, smoking around babies or young children, or the harmful effects of cigarette smoke on your skin/premature aging, etc.

I'm pretty sure everyone who smokes cigarettes knows it will give them lung cancer. But quite a few need to be seriously guilted to give a crap about the affect they're having on the health of those around them. And how many 15 year olds puffing them "not to get fat" know that they just might make them look like 40 year-olds by the time they're 30? If you don't like them: ignore them. Sort of like the political ads, Latter-Day Saints ads and McDonald's commercials.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    They almost got me last year, but I'm quitting for my own reasons this year. Anywho, what's your opinion about anti-tobacco campaigns? Are they truly necessary? Why when half the nation smokes and knows they'll die sooner, would the other half ridicule us for our own adult decisions? I don't mind that they're tryin' to keep kids from smoking. I was a kid when I started and wouldn't want anyone younger than me to start that young. BUT, if you're gonna go against something, campaign against something worth fighting against. Like coccaine/meth, alchohol abuse, CRIME... You catch my drift.

Let's talk tobacco!
    Now this would be true if only smokers suffered the effects of tobacco smoking. But when you consider the issue of both environmental contamination, (as the EPA classifies tobacco product spills as TOXIC WASTE incidents bad enough to require Haz-Mat suits), and the second hand smoke effects on innocent non-smokers, then this becomes a totally different matter...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Right you are Mr. Miyata. Not only is second hand smoke annoying, it's very poisonous too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast