Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
The problem is in the definition of "The Common Good" and who is left out of the equation. Rarely does "the common good" include everyone. Often it's a slim majority (and ocaisionally not even a majority at all). When you begin to restrict the other "inalieable", constitutionally guaranteed rights of anyone in order to further even a large group's "higher" goal: you're walking a very dangerous path.

An example that PERSONALLY ticks me off, because I end up on the wrong end of it:

In the United States and Japan, all foreign visitors and residents are treated like criminals every time they enter the country. They are fingerprinted, photographed, and questioned. American and Japanese citizens require only passports. It takes HOURS and it can be incredibly humiliating and infuriating (especially as in order to BE a foreign resident you've ALREADY had a background check, applied for a foreign residents' card and have completed multiple procedures to ensure that you're NOT a criminal.

The justification: terrorists and criminals could enter the country from other countries. It's for the common good.

The reality: A vast majority of crimes and terrorist acts committed in each respective nation are committed by their own nationals or holders of legitimate passports obtained through shady dealings. Japan, in particular, has NEVER had a terrorist attack that wasn't perpetrated by JAPANESE.

Here we have "the good of all" acting as an excuse for systematic racism.
You definitely got a point there Tsurara. But my whole issue with this is, that these groups jump into be against anything at the first moment they can. It doesn't matter whether it's the fingerprinting (you mentioned), or the HIV testing, or even the use of water; regardless of what the scenario is on the spectrum they will jump on it.

At one point it would almost seem to me like they are just doing it for the sake of getting on the news. Indeed some are very very farfetched, but at the same time there are just as matter situations that are no-brainers.