+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Classic Morality Puzzle

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The Classic Morality Puzzle

You may have done this excersize in ethics class, psychology or at summer camp...

You are on a sinking ship with 9 other living passengers. Only 5 people will fit on the lifeboat and for some reason everyone looks to you to make this decision.

The passengers:

- Male, 68: A brilliant physicist on the brink of a major discovery. Gay and in a relationship. Atheist.
    - Female 52: Married housewife and mother of 2 grown children. Buddhist.
    - Male 45: Married car salesman and father of six (some grown, some still at home). Muslim.
    - Female 43: Civil rights activist and widow of a baptist preacher. No children. Christian.
    - Male, 35: A married doctor with three children. You know that he's cheating on his wife. Catholic.
    - Female 24: college dropout (you do not know the circumstances), now a substitute teacher. Very kind, but doesn't seem very smart. Scientologist.
    - Male 18: former gang member just out of juvenile hall, he says he has reformed completely and wants to be a musician. Born-again Christian.
    - Female 8: a sweet little girl and math whiz... she has Progeria (a rapid aging disease) and likely will not live past her 10th birthday. Jehovah's Witness.
    - Male 3: A child with downs syndrome. His parents died in the accident that sunk your ship. Religion unknown.
    -yourself

Who will you save and why?

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: The Classic Morality Puzzle

Female 52: Married housewife and mother of 2 grown children. Buddhist
    because i belive she wouldnt panic and would be calm about being in a
    small boat and if there wasnt much food she would know that rationing
    things would be a mujst and wouldnt complain.

Female 24: college dropout (you do not know the circumstances), now a substitute teacher. Very kind, but doesn't seem very smart. Scientologist.
    she is young enough to paddle the boat and have energy that the 52
    year old wouldnt have for rowing for miles.

Male 18: former gang member just out of juvenile hall, he says he has reformed completely and wants to be a musician. Born-again Christian.
    same reason as the 24 year old since he would have more energy.

- Male, 68: A brilliant physicist on the brink of a major discovery. Gay and in a relationship. Atheist.
    i would need somone who would know how to navigate by using
    the stars and this guy seems smart enough.

myself just because i dont want to die
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    You may have done this excersize in ethics class, psychology or at summer camp...

You are on a sinking ship with 9 other living passengers. Only 5 people will fit on the lifeboat and for some reason everyone looks to you to make this decision.

The passengers:

- Female 52: Married housewife and mother of 2 grown children. Buddhist.
    - Male 45: Married car salesman and father of six (some grown, some still at home). Muslim.
    - Female 43: Civil rights activist and widow of a baptist preacher. No children. Christian.
    - Male, 35: A married doctor with three children. You know that he's cheating on his wife. Catholic.
    - Female 24: college dropout (you do not know the circumstances), now a substitute teacher. Very kind, but doesn't seem very smart. Scientologist.
    - Male 18: former gang member just out of juvenile hall, he says he has reformed completely and wants to be a musician. Born-again Christian.
    - Female 8: a sweet little girl and math whiz... she has Progeria (a rapid aging disease) and likely will not live past her 10th birthday. Jehovah's Witness.
    - Male 3: A child with downs syndrome. His parents died in the accident that sunk your ship. Religion unknown.
    -yourself

Who will you save and why?
    Seriously: HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!!! (Oh, and I have nothing against women, but there were way more guys on this boat!) Here goes:

Reason: He may be old, but he's on the brink of a major discovery. This discovery could benefit the world greatly, in ways we never dreamed.

Reason: (Why did the Catholic have to be the adulterer?) He's a doctor. After a ship accident and floating on the sea, people are going to be in need of medical care. Who knows? Maybe this traumatic experience will bring him back to his wife and children.

Reason: She's a math whiz, for crying out loud! She may contribute to the field! Anyway, you can't help how you were born.

Reason: No child deserves to die. None. (That may be the first emotional thing I've said all post!)

Reason: Face it - with six kids, you need both incomes for the family to survive. Trust me. Besides . . . he has SIX CHILDREN!!! They need their father to raise them well, to be a good example, to tell the story of the brave person known only as divine_punishment who gave up the last seat on the lifeboat.

Otaku trustworthy may be famous one day trustworthy may be famous one day trustworthy's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, this actually was very difficult. But I chose first off, according to what I could live with after-words, if I was going to live, and therefore, what I felt would not send me to hell. So the two kids live. I wouldn’t be able to say no to them. Now, religion and sex preference didn’t matter to me, and I deleted that part after I copied it.
    I said no to the guy cheating, because this way the family would get all of his money insurance money, instead of only half when he left them, and even money for sewing the place. Plus, cheater, die bastard.
    Anyone older than 40, probably wont make kids, or has kids grown, that can take care of ones that aren’t if there are ones that aren’t. so them no. don’t care about discovery, know that field, other people are working on it with him, or at least as well, others will figure it out, plus, it probably won’t help the world much, at least this generation.
    That leaves the 18, 24 year olds and me, so there. the hardest thing doing this though, was arguing with myself, trying to get me to live, because I wanted to choose death to save someone else, but 20, college, family, with those, couldn't say no to if I looked at it rationally.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I would put the two youngest and the three oldest in the boat and the rest in the water beside the boat in an entempt to save them all. The reason being is the middle aged ones should be able to float while holding onto the boat. But then again I'm always trying to save everybody so I guess I'm not very good at this type of game.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Only the doctor and me. He can help me row and will be handy in case of injury or sickness.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

My answer is based on what would benefit the world the most, survival of the fittest, and a natural self preservation instinct.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Passenger #1-Male, 68: A brilliant physicist on the brink of a major discovery. Gay and in a relationship. Atheist.

-Would so benefit the world, would definitely save him. You never know, he could get us to mars?? (Save)
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Passenger #2- Female 52: Married housewife and mother of 2 grown children. Buddhist.

-Her kids are grown, and shes lived fairly long. Dont see her saving the world either. (No save).
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    Passenger #3-Male 45: Married car salesman and father of six (some grown, some still at home). Muslim.

-This guy is really needed, family would really suffer if he was lost. So he gets saved. (Save).
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Passenger #4- Female 43: Civil rights activist and widow of a baptist preacher. No children. Christian.

-Does alot of good for the world. (Save)
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Passenger #5- Male, 35: A married doctor with three children. You know that he's cheating on his wife. Catholic.

-Has three kids that needs him, and he saves ppl lives. The cheating don't matter to me. (Save)
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Passenger #6- Female 24: college dropout (you do not know the circumstances), now a substitute teacher. Very kind, but doesn't seem very smart. Scientoloist.

-Looks like the world wouldn't miss her? (No save).
    Passenger #7- Male 18: former gang member just out of juvenile hall, he says he has reformed completely and wants to be a musician. Born-again Christian.

- Thats nice and all, but just a musician? Ify on this one, and since my boat is now full, gotta let him go. (No Save)
    Passenger #8- Female 8: a sweet little girl and math whiz... she has Progeria (a rapid aging disease) and likely will not live past her 10th birthday. Jehovah's Witness.

-Seeing she has only 2 years to live, wouldn't make sense to save her. (No Save)
    Passenger #9- Male 3: A child with downs syndrome. His parents died in the accident that sunk your ship. Religion unknown.
    -This one gets let go on the survival of the fittest factor. Dont see her saving the world. (No Save)

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    Passenger #10- yourself

Well out of a natural instinct to survive, you know ill be saving myself. (Save)
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Aug 20, 2007 at 04:14 PM.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

@ Miroku: that's six in your lifeboat I'm afraid :P

Fixed it. Got carried away, and thought i had room for him.
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Aug 20, 2007 at 04:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast