+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry on Campus

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Concealed Carry on Campus

It'll just get the things worst. You'll have a lot of people with the "power" of killing on their pokets. There are going to be those that are not goint to hesitate to use it even if it is not necessary.... There should be no guns on campus, student hands whatsoever under any circumstances. What the campus need is more security... After the Virginia thing... ny dad was wondering how secure are we (my bro and me) in the University we are at.... and the truth is we have no good security. The security is ok but it wouldn't be able to handle a big incident as the masacre on Virginia.
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OdysseanPromise View Post
    I'd like to think, especially being a Resident Assistant at my college dorms, that I have at least some responsibilty for keeping the campus safe. I suppose we could run situations through the what if machine all day, but I know that if someone came into my dorm and shot two people, I would be hesitant to go into a situation with absolutely nothing going for me, at least having a firearm in a lockbox in my room would allow me to be on a roughly even playing field.
    i can see that u are feeling insecure but concealing a firearm.... well i can see a couple of things going wrong there. as said firearms are purely tools of killing or inflicting massive amount of harm on to a living being. now u say that u would conceal this firearm right? in a lunch box or something. now what if someone like that is unstable as such stumbles across ur lunch box or where ever u concealed it? i know u would be extremely careful since u did state ur military record but u are still only human. so are u just pretty much shotting urself in the foot?

i know a little bit about this cause some of my coz where bouncers for some night clubs around the Goal Coast (Australian reference). both of them thought very hard about whether or not they should get their license and carry them around for there job. since there are plenty of stabbing and such in their line of work. but both of them decided not 2 mainly cause of 2 reasons.

1) it is very difficult to keep an eye on ur firearm all the time, nearly impossible. this leads to a point where it can be stolen from u and used against u. now is it so smart to carry one around? even if they don't know how to properly use it and they do shot some1 u r responsible for it. not very wise if u ask me.

2) this one mainly about the shear cost of carrying it around over here. got very tight restrictions.

but America's type of thinking is seems to run along these lines "a strong offense is the best defense" but that not always the case.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Humans may think they have everything in control, but they seem to forget one thing : Humans are only humans and are bound to stuff up every now and then. Look at some of the major disasters in the world - human made, some by mistake.

You could put the same theory with civilians holding guns. Just like what
    dude101 said

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Pocket knives are just ats bad as guns. A fifteen year old killed another student in his school by stabbing him to death. I agree. Weapons should not be allowed in schools. No matter what the education is, be it elementary, university, middle... Students in a university here in FL actually want to have guns [to protect themselves from outsiders].

Hello, ever heard of Columbine?
    Do you think that the kids in Columbine had permission to carry those weapons?

What everyone seems to be missing is that allowing concealed carry on a college campus would still be limited to people who were otherwise legally able to carry weapons.

I'm not advocating giving a glock out with a t-shirt at freshman orientation, I'm advocating people being able to carry weapons to protect themselves and not be arrested or expelled from the university for doing so. There are plenty of examples of crazies, who are going to get weapons elsewhere, who were thwarted by people who had firearms nearby, but had the weapons been closer than their car, which was as close as CC authorized citizens were allowed, the shootings could have been stopped sooner.

I think everyone here is operating with some notion that allowing concealed carry would somehow increase violent crime, when it has been proven the opposite. In Texas, where carrying a firearm is more or less a staple of life, firearm related crimes, includind armed robbery is significantly lower than in areas that outright ban the carry of firearms for anyone but law enforcement officials (i.e. NJ, NY, and DC).

All I'm saying is that if I am otherwise enabled to carry a firearm for self-protection, I should be able to carry it on a college campus, especially considering that is where I live. If you think by virtue that I am carrying a firearm, that I am more likely to kill someone, you are making quite an erroneous assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by dude101 View Post
    i can see that u are feeling insecure but concealing a firearm.... well i can see a couple of things going wrong there. as said firearms are purely tools of killing or inflicting massive amount of harm on to a living being. now u say that u would conceal this firearm right? in a lunch box or something. now what if someone like that is unstable as such stumbles across ur lunch box or where ever u concealed it? i know u would be extremely careful since u did state ur military record but u are still only human. so are u just pretty much shotting urself in the foot?
    Lock box. I said lock box. A box with a lock on it, not to be confused with a plastic recepticle that is meant for sandwiches and perhaps a soup in a thermos.

Well, the point of it is that I could easily hide things in my room. People hide all manner of contraband anyway, and this would be no different. I don't know how much traffic you think my room gets, but I don't think anyone comes into my room when it is locked and rummages through all of my stuff.

Still it seems that you are making the connection that just because I had a firearm in my possession and proximity, that I would somehow be more likely to use it. It is a "just in case" measure, or would be. I guarantee if the Resident Assistant on duty in that dorm had a firearm, s/he would have at least been able to engage the killer and at least deter him before he got any farther. The problem with these types of people is that they have the conviction to kill other people, but rarely have the conviction to stand to be killed by someone else.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Lock box. I said lock box. A box with a lock on it, not to be confused with a plastic recepticle that is meant for sandwiches and perhaps a soup in a thermos.

Well, the point of it is that I could easily hide things in my room. People hide all manner of contraband anyway, and this would be no different. I don't know how much traffic you think my room gets, but I don't think anyone comes into my room when it is locked and rummages through all of my stuff....

I guarantee if the Resident Assistant on duty in that dorm had a firearm, s/he would have at least been able to engage the killer and at least deter him before he got any farther. The problem with these types of people is that they have the conviction to kill other people, but rarely have the conviction to stand to be killed by someone else.
    Lockbox aye? I am curious as to why nobody picked up on that from the very beginning. You think have a gun put in a lockbox is going to help you if someone suddenly busted into your room with a shotty or dual 9mm glocks? Man you are dead long before you even reach the lockbox, not to mention how stupid you would look turning your back on the assailant and fiddling with something pretending it is just your zipper.

This lockbox would be no different than concealing one on you or in reach. Most people who carry a concealed weapon carry it for protection and never hope to fire that thing ever. Killing a person is very different than taking the thing out to a shooting range or killing a squirrel.

Being killed by someone else comes with the territory of a mass murderer. You don't willingly kill a bunch of people without realizing the risk involved. Who is going to kill two people and then look at a gun pointed at them and then quickly drop their weapon or run away to hide. What a load right there. I havn't heard many of these campus killers running away from a gun when the whole objective is to kill and then kill themselves.

Besides having probably teachers or security guards holstering weapons, there are very few people who would be able to identify or react to a situation like Tech calmly. Fear strikes you when the sound of a gunshot rings through the air, and confusion and/or suspicion can cloud your judgement very easliy. That is why being trained in combat situations is very important. It wouldn't be that hard for someone to accidentally shoot someone suspicious purely out of fear of the unknown, or create a ruckus under the impression that someone merely looks suspicious.

It would make carrying concealed weapons even more dangerous if it suddenly became legal after something like Tech happened.

You don't even know the assistant or ordinary people it seems, because why would you confront someone that dangerous, that unknown, when your responsibility is to first phone the authorities to take over. It isn't your job to do that, and frankly doing something like that is very stupid.

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    In my opinion weapons of any kind have no place in a school or on a campus. No exceptions.
    Even pocket knives should be discouraged.
    in the usa, the second amendment allowed NOBODY on campus (talkin bout the virginia tech shooting) to carry weapons and that allowed Seung-Hui Cho to kill those 32 people without them resisting. im wondering if they should have a better search policy, or a better security, or allow voted people to only carry weapons. the problem is this...
    1. the searches would take long, and for many people, it would be a sign saying 'everyone is a threat' not to mention that it would make them late for class.
    2. security would also no know where to start, and if just informed with a shooter in campus, their responce might be delayed and lives would be lost.
    3. people voted to carry weapons, you never know. the person carrying a weapon to protect you might also want to kill you.

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raimann View Post
    in the usa, the second amendment allowed NOBODY on campus (talkin bout the virginia tech shooting) to carry weapons and that allowed Seung-Hui Cho to kill those 32 people without them resisting. im wondering if they should have a better search policy, or a better security, or allow voted people to only carry weapons. the problem is this...
    1. the searches would take long, and for many people, it would be a sign saying 'everyone is a threat' not to mention that it would make them late for class.
    2. security would also no know where to start, and if just informed with a shooter in campus, their responce might be delayed and lives would be lost.
    3. people voted to carry weapons, you never know. the person carrying a weapon to protect you might also want to kill you.
    Omg I can't believe I completely forgot about that.

Lol yeah lol..omg..funny business. Allow weapons right? Ha, how difficult would it be to stop a murderer then. You are allowing them to carry weapons ROFL. OMG that is funny stuff there. I can't believe that didn't jump right at me.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Do you think that the kids in Columbine had permission to carry those weapons?
    No. My point was that students at Universities want to be able to bare weapons to protect themselves from outsiders. Kids at Columbine were students from the school. They weren't "outsiders". So if students are allowed to have guns and knives, etc.. they are just endangering themselves even more. Even if there was an "outsider" present; kids here and there with guns and no training on how to use them whatsoever could cause way more damage than anything else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast