+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

The Confederate battle flag, called the "Southern Cross" or the cross of St. Andrew, has been described variously as a proud emblem of Southern heritage and as a shameful reminder of slavery and segregation. In the past, several Southern states flew the Confederate battle flag along with the U.S. and state flags over their statehouses. Others incorporated the controversial symbol into the design of their state flags. The Confederate battle flag has also been appropriated by the Ku Klux Klan and other racist hate groups. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.
    I was watching my local news and they had a story where a kid was suspended for wearing a hat with the Southern Cross(Confederate flag) Symbol on it. So it gave me an idea for a good topic to post here.

Do you think the Confederate flag is a symbol of southern heritage or symbol of Racism? Should this kid have got suspended?

I think the school was just covering its butt, in case some parent would call up and bit** at the school and threaten to sue em. The kid should have been told just to not wear the hat, not be suspended.

To me its just a symbol of southern heritage not some racist tool. Those jerks just tarnished a once sacred symbol.

To help the Ppl that don't live in the US, see here:

http://www.geocities.com/gngerald/Confederacy.html

Horror movies rule Graveyard Champion Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Re: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I was watching my local news and they had a story where a kid was suspended for wearing a hat with the Southern Cross(Confederate flag) Symbol on it. So it gave me an idea for a good topic to post here.

Do you think the Confederate flag is a symbol of southern heritage or symbol of Racism? Should this kid have got suspended?

I think the school was just covering its butt, in case some parent would call up and bit** at the school and threaten to sue em. The kid should have been told just to not wear the hat, not be suspended.

To me its just a symbol of southern heritage not some racist tool. Those jerks just tarnished a once sacred symbol.

To help the Ppl that don't live in the US, see here:

http://www.geocities.com/gngerald/Confederacy.html
    I don't really know if it's racist. I think it is! I hate racist people so I hate that flag too! And the KKK!

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

It is a sign of southern herritage but it's also the reason the person has it for. Like take my family we have southern flags because it's part of our heritage not because we are racist. Also I do not think a child should get into trouble for wearing a southern flag on his hat. They do not know what it's supposed to mean it could mean that he supports his herritage and wants to show it.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks

racism isn't in wut u wear... but in how u act... so yeah I think the school overreacted there...
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-lyrra View Post
    It is a sign of southern herritage but it's also the reason the person has it for. Like take my family we have southern flags because it's part of our heritage not because we are racist. Also I do not think a child should get into trouble for wearing a southern flag on his hat. They do not know what it's supposed to mean it could mean that he supports his herritage and wants to show it.
    But is wearing a Confederate Flag symbol any different then wearing a German Swastika symbol??? And the fact that the Confederate Flag was incorporated into the Flags of several southern states during the late 1950s as a protest of the Federal intervention on civil rights under the Eisenhower administration does indicate what the intended symbolism is ...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

He should be able to wear the flag and whatever else he wants to wear. But then you have to think, what happens if a kid walks in one day wearing a swastika, what should be done then? I don't know about this cause people should be allowed to show their opinion even if it's a negative one, but at the same time it could emotionally hurt others at the same time.

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

But is wearing a Confederate Flag symbol any different then wearing a German Swastika symbol??? And the fact that the Confederate Flag was incorporated into the Flags of several southern states during the late 1950s as a protest of the Federal intervention on civil rights does indicate what the intended symbolism is ...
    If that was the case then why do they even make them. If people think that they are used for racism? My whole neighborhood has them up but yet we are not a racist neighborhood. We are just showing our southern herritage. I can see where you are coming from with the swastika symbol and that's one part of my herritage I will not be proud of. I see that both of them have been used for bad but that does not mean that they are used that way now or atleast the flag isn't.

A flag is not that bad now when a kid walks into school wearing a KKK suit then your have a problem.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

But is wearing a Confederate Flag symbol any different then wearing a German Swastika symbol??? And the fact that the Confederate Flag was incorporated into the Flags of several southern states during the late 1950s as a protest of the Federal intervention on civil rights under the Eisenhower administration does indicate what the intended symbolism is ...
    Yes, but originally it wasn't a bad symbol, but the german German Swastika was always thought of as a symbol of hate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast