+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I was watching my local news and they had a story where a kid was suspended for wearing a hat with the Southern Cross(Confederate flag) Symbol on it. So it gave me an idea for a good topic to post here.

Do you think the Confederate flag is a symbol of southern heritage or symbol of Racism? Should this kid have got suspended?

I think the school was just covering its butt, in case some parent would call up and bit** at the school and threaten to sue em. The kid should have been told just to not wear the hat, not be suspended.

To me its just a symbol of southern heritage not some racist tool. Those jerks just tarnished a once sacred symbol.

To help the Ppl that don't live in the US, see here:

http://www.geocities.com/gngerald/Confederacy.html
    Yea your right the teachers had no right to suspend him. they should just have warned him about wearing the hat or sent a letter home. That would be a lot more reasonable. Actually depending on the school the conciqueces would be worse. For example my school if you wore that, you would be like kicked out of the school. its just not right for them to do so but whats done is done

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Some flags and symbols have sadly been used throughout history as symbols of racism or other political ideas.
    Remember that the swastika has a very long history and was only recently defiled through Nazi ideals.

I think that the Confederate Flag was invented specifically for the Confederates.
    It's more like a symbol for rebellion than it is a symbol for racism.
    However, popular culture and some groups feature it prominently as racist symbols. It's sad but unavoidable that people could take offense when seeing them. Just like all the fascist symbolism in WWII. (skull and bones, the two sig runes of the SS, the swastika, ...)
    I'm afraid that most of those symbols will be forever tainted. Certainly in countries where they were abused.

Now there are multiple ways to deal with this, you either try to forget or you make the symbolism illegal. E.g. Almost all Nazi symbolism is forbidden in Germany today.
    I honestly don't know which is best.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Some flags and symbols have sadly been used throughout history as symbols of racism or other political ideas.
    Remember that the swastika has a very long history and was only recently defiled through Nazi ideals.

I think that the Confederate Flag was invented specifically for the Confederates.
    It's more like a symbol for rebellion than it is a symbol for racism.
    However, popular culture and some groups feature it prominently as racist symbols. It's sad but unavoidable that people could take offense when seeing them. Just like all the fascist symbolism in WWII. (skull and bones, the two sig runes of the SS, the swastika, ...)
    I'm afraid that most of those symbols will be forever tainted. Certainly in countries where they were abused.

Now there are multiple ways to deal with this, you either try to forget or you make the symbolism illegal. E.g. Almost all Nazi symbolism is forbidden in Germany today.
    I honestly don't know which is best.

banning this isn't gonna make anything better. people always find a way to do this. especially teens. i know a lot of guys who go and spraypaint the nazi sign on the walls of random houses and buildings and no body does anything. Just gasp, leave it there and clean it up later..Its not the response taht peole want but thats just how it goes

Hell Enforcer George Wants Beer Champion, Monkey Cliff Diving Champion, Tilt 2 Champion hellknight may be famous one day hellknight may be famous one day hellknight's Avatar
    Thanks

its both, pretty much its why they fought for the whole racist and slave trade, it was based on a movie about it and that's why the confederate flag is both

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hellknight View Post
    its both, pretty much its why they fought for the whole racist and slave trade, it was based on a movie about it and that's why the confederate flag is both
    still there will be people who still mock the racist and slave trade thing. and no one is stopping anyone. just a while ago on teh news some kid went to a jewish school and spraypainted the nazi sign on it. devistation cam a long but like poepl who actually mock it should be punished not some boy who had no idea what was wrong

Newbie Naruku is off to a good start Naruku's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmph! I really don't know as much and probelly don't care much about racism but heres my oppiniones on the subject.
    I think people do things like say racist remarks or jokes, spray paint nazi signes on jewish schools cuz I think they are curious about the other peoples reactions. They want attention or they flat out don't care whos to say thats the if thats the case.
    Last edited by Naruku; Jan 29, 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Trying to change the font color.
    Naraku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naruku View Post
    Hmph! I really don't know as much and probelly don't care much about racism but heres my oppiniones on the subject.
    I think people do things like say racist remarks or jokes, spray paint nazi signes on jewish schools cuz I think they are curious about the other peoples reactions. They want attention or they flat out don't care whos to say thats the if thats the case.
    well actually im guessing that they know the reaction but do it to mock the other religion. im not no scientist on this subject but like suspending a kid for that little thing that he proabbly had no idea with is pretty bad man. it was liek when that girl bought those cool winers drink which is liek really light wine for kids. she was suspended for drinking it at school

Newbie Naruku is off to a good start Naruku's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmph! that reminds me of the time brong a poket watch to school had a small chain attached to it and I got trouble for it cuz they it said it could used as a weapon .The way I it figuer it a pencle could used as a weapon and just as well these rules make any since to me.
    Naraku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast