+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

Re: The Confederate Flag: Racist or A Sign of southern Heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-lyrra View Post
    I know what you are saying and as for my town and school (on hats) we have southern flags all over the place. We show our support in our herritage. No one at my old school got into trouble for wearing a southern flag anywear on their body. What do they do when someone has a southern flag on their shirt or something. I mean my cousin goes to school all the time with a shirt that has southern flags on them. What about the Southern Dixie shirts (Think that's them) what should be done about them if schools don't allow it?
    There are certainly examples of people wearing it without hatred in their hearts, but the fact is that it does hold a sort of stigma. I don't know if it should be banned from schools, but there is a conscious decision a person has to make when getting a southern flag tattoo, a manji, or even, my Japanophile friends, a Japanese hachimaki with something cool written in kanji.

People have memories and lives invested in symbols, one way or the other. The soutern flag may be either an example of refusing to sit idly when what you don't agree with happens, while the manji and your highspeed "kamikaze" hachimaki that you bought off of J-list may inspire some less than savory results from old veterans who fought tooth and nail against the people who we normally just associate with making our cars and drawing our cartoons.

Newbie worldpeace2529 is off to a good start worldpeace2529's Avatar
    Thanks

All the sh** regarding racism... the people who are like anti-racists and who are like more nice to black people than white cuz they're afraid of being called racist, the schools and government making a big deal out of it... well all thouse are the BIGGEST RACISM THERE IS. like how many times have u thought of the word racism as like be nice to black people? i mean racism is about being equals, not judging by skin color, right now, even thou people don't realize it, the ones being disciminated are the white people, i mean all the "look at all the poor african-americans dying for their freedom" thing is like a HUGE deal in schools right now, I mean it's all in the past, just drop it k?

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Where I am at the Confederate Flag is a very common symbol. It is not portrayed as a symbol of the South rising again or anything like that either. It's more of a symbol of Southern pride and as the topic says heritage. Now, I know that the Confederate flag didn't have the best beginnings. I mean it used to stand for one of the most horrid things ever in America's history and nobody can help that. We can change what we think of it now though. Instead of it standing for racism just look at it as a sign of Southern pride. I mean it's all in the human perception and we decide how we will be effected by it.

I know it has been compared to the swastika the Nazi symbol. Well, before the Nazis twisted it around it was a symbol of luck and good fortune.

So in the end a symbol is created by the human perception.You decide if the swastika will stand for the Nazi and the holocaust or as a symbol of luck. You decide if the Confederate flag will stand for racism or if it will stand for Southern pride.
    Last edited by Priestess Angel; Feb 06, 2007 at 05:48 PM.

Newbie worldpeace2529 is off to a good start worldpeace2529's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree with P.A. on ONE thing: it's just a symbol, and u decide what it stands for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4