+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are credit cards our generation's cigarette?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Are credit cards our generation's cigarette?

We all heard the stories about credit cards. Someone's dog getting approved for a credit card, credit card companies luring young first year students on a college campus, and you getting letters for pre-approved cards even before your 16th birthday. Many young folks who do not have the proper financial education will often fall for those freebies that come with those credit cards and end up with thousands of dollars on several cards within months or years.

I actually know someone who said he can't wait for the his tax refund. Why? So he can pay off one of his cards. In a way, credit cards looked a lot like cigarettes for those of previous generations. Many don't see the down side of the "plastic", one swipe and voila that item become yours without a dollar leaving your pocket. And with the constant pressure around us to BUY BUY BUY in order to have the latest games, fashion, electronics things would get real ugly in a few years.

So what do you think about this?? Will there be some nerdy teenager 40 years down the road posting credit card ads and letters laughing at how "uneducated" we are??? Just like how we are often laughing at cigarette and booze ads?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Are credit cards our generation's cigarette?

I may not be very representative for my generation but I have always hated credit cards.
    I never use them. Mostly because I find the whole system behind it (not losing the money the moment you buy something but at the end of the month) borderline criminal. It comes as no surprise that they're aiming at children for these payment methods either. Consumerism at its best. ¬¬

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    I may not be very representative for my generation but I have always hated credit cards.
    I never use them. Mostly because I find the whole system behind it (not losing the money the moment you buy something but at the end of the month) borderline criminal. It comes as no surprise that they're aiming at children for these payment methods either. Consumerism at its best. ¬¬
    Well but to be fair at the same time, it is still a much better alternative for purchasing stuff online or big things compared to sending in money orders and carrying a lot of cash on you. I'm probably one of those that the credit card companies hate, those that pay the bills full and on time so they can't dock me for the interest rates.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Well but to be fair at the same time, it is still a much better alternative for purchasing stuff online or big things compared to sending in money orders and carrying a lot of cash on you. I'm probably one of those that the credit card companies hate, those that pay the bills full and on time so they can't dock me for the interest rates.
    You don't have to carry a lot of money with you at all. Debit cards are what you should use instead of credit cards. (And I use them occasionally as well.)

They serve the same purpose as a credit card, the difference being that money is immediately subtracted from your account when you make a purchase.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Like you hassun, I don't like them and I plan on never using them for anything. If I can't afford it I won't buy it or save up for it. Why get into debt for pathetic things like fashion, games or whatever our generation seems to be spending it on.

If your a person who is in control with a credit card and need it for online buying go for it ( but that's what alot people aren't - in control of their spending) but like hassun said, you don't even need a credit card today to shop online.

it's consumerism at it's best and it seems in most societies are based on consumerism and people buying things with credit cards they can never ever afford, they don't know anything about interests rates on them - which most are rip offs and way through the roof anyway.

I wouldn't target our generation though, as I know a lot of people older that are in credit card debt (yet still spend on it..). Our generation is defiantly targeting ( I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've thrown away credti card ads in the junk mail). But we are a consumption crazy society for some reason we have to spend, spend, spend and do it now

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think there great you dont have to have a bunch in your wallet caring it around you know but they both have there good and bad money can be stolen credit cards can be stolen you know but i think credit cards are great to have.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    You don't have to carry a lot of money with you at all. Debit cards are what you should use instead of credit cards. (And I use them occasionally as well.)

They serve the same purpose as a credit card, the difference being that money is immediately subtracted from your account when you make a purchase.
    Much power to the almighty debit card!! Your money is spent right there on the spot, and you don't have to pay some creditor any money back. ^_^

Credit cards aren't like the new cigarettes, they're the new crack! Everybody's tryin' to get a credit card these days, it seems. There are more MasterCard commercials than there are FOOD commercials! And they aim them at young folk the same way they do with alchohol and cigs. The reason I compare it to crack is because it's an expensive habit and hardly ever worth the risk.

Banned CTD High Jump Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Kill Time in Your Office Champion, Slow Motion Champion, Moodys Magical Eye Champion, The Fridge Champion, Dangerous Fishing Champion, Panda Golf 2: Christmas Edition Champion, Driving Mad Champion, Head to Head Champion, Super Headers Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Air Dodge Champion, Chopper Chase Champion, F/A-18 Hornet Champion, Snow Boarding Champion, Spaceman Bob`s Great Escape Champion, Space Cowboy Champion, Rons Free Fall Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Black Dragon Champion, Samegame and Champion, Mayan Mask Champion, 42 Games Champion, Cubedelic Champion, Smaugs Schatkist Champion, Python Champion, Thor Towers Champion Mini Dev is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The GunGrave of Trigun View Post
    I think there great you dont have to have a bunch in your wallet caring it around you know but they both have there good and bad money can be stolen credit cards can be stolen you know but i think credit cards are great to have.
    The Gungrave depening on your age depends on your opinion, i look at my parents and if ask for something they often say i don't have any money. Credit cards get you in a lot of debt and make your life worse, yes there are some good things about a credit card but personaly gungrave, i would rather have a walllet with a load of cash in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast