Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting art from schools!

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry Re: Cutting art from schools!

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post

Yup, that sucks. I LOVE art! And music is art too! My favorite classes in high school were music classes. I never had art until my senior year in high school, but I drew all the time! When I worked for Lincoln Elementary School, I used art as a reference for most subjects when I tutored. My mom is a teacher, and she agrees that art is fundamental in the learning proccess. You gotta have some kind of fun while learning, and you have to have some way to express your emotions without endangering others, so why would you cut art from schools???

One of my close friends is setting up a bunch of fundraising events to keep art in schools. His band and about 16 others so far are gonna perform and use the money to give to the school district; so they can keep art in schools. Because, I guess the city of Minneapolis can't afford to keep art in schools! To make matters worse, they're closing about eight schools in the Metro area in order to be more "efficient". WTF??? My high school is on that list!!! Has the government gone mad???

Yes the gov has become mad.... meeeeeen I am sorry to hear about ur HS thing....
    DO u know that even here on college if the budget goes down the first thing that goes has to do with some kind of art??? it is crazy man!!!!!
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cutting art from schools!

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    So, a friend and I were talking the other day. And, he tells me that the Minneapolis Public School district is cutting art classes from a good chunk of schools around here. Not just visual art, but music and dance as well. How messed up is that?
    Could you find some kind of link to back that up? I couldn't find a thing on it. Plenty about them closing 6 schools but nothing about curriculum changes.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

The highschools and middle schools in BC generally have like a $20 dollar fee each school term for all students, which goes towards funding and purchasing art supplies and whatnot....

However, last year there was a lawsuit done by some guy who claimed that it was illegal for schools to charge this fee, as it should be government funded....well, he won the case, so the schools can't charge the fee anymore, but this lack of money wasn't made up for in the school budgets, so now art classes and extra curricular activities are suffering due to lack of funding.

Judging from what Arrianna was saying (after reading that, I checked too and couldn't find anything) I would say if anything was being done, it would just be a decrease in funding, and not completely shutting down classes...If funding was that bad that they DID need to shut down the clases, they'd have to shut down sports activities as well, because uniforms, fields, equipment cost plenty more than art supplies. They'd have to roll back everything, which would create huge amount of problems.

Not only would they have to fire teachers, they'd also have to make up for the extra teaching time they would now have, as different electives would be gone....in turn, the teachers who wouldn't be fired would probably request increased amount of pay for the increased amount of time, which would start to chew on any savings the school board would make by cutting out such activites.

It would also be detrimental to the student's health because young kids require these extra activities to increase in knowledge growth, and electives help to relieve stress.

So I highly doubt that a schoolboard would completely shut out these programs. With Arrianna mentioning that she couldn't find anything to validate this claim, I'm guessing it's something just going around the rumour mill, and if anything it would just be a decrease in funding to the programs, and not a full out closure.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    The highschools and middle schools in BC generally have like a $20 dollar fee each school term for all students, which goes towards funding and purchasing art supplies and whatnot....

However, last year there was a lawsuit done by some guy who claimed that it was illegal for schools to charge this fee, as it should be government funded....well, he won the case, so the schools can't charge the fee anymore, but this lack of money wasn't made up for in the school budgets, so now art classes and extra curricular activities are suffering due to lack of funding.

Judging from what Arrianna was saying (after reading that, I checked too and couldn't find anything) I would say if anything was being done, it would just be a decrease in funding, and not completely shutting down classes...If funding was that bad that they DID need to shut down the clases, they'd have to shut down sports activities as well, because uniforms, fields, equipment cost plenty more than art supplies. They'd have to roll back everything, which would create huge amount of problems.

Not only would they have to fire teachers, they'd also have to make up for the extra teaching time they would now have, as different electives would be gone....in turn, the teachers who wouldn't be fired would probably request increased amount of pay for the increased amount of time, which would start to chew on any savings the school board would make by cutting out such activites.

It would also be detrimental to the student's health because young kids require these extra activities to increase in knowledge growth, and electives help to relieve stress.

So I highly doubt that a schoolboard would completely shut out these programs. With Arrianna mentioning that she couldn't find anything to validate this claim, I'm guessing it's something just going around the rumour mill, and if anything it would just be a decrease in funding to the programs, and not a full out closure.
    Trust me, there's no rumor mill. I used to work for the school district, and my friend still does. Typically, if a class or program is cut, the news won't mention it. But, if a school CLOSES, then it's all over the media. I should know. They cut the computer animation and computer graphics magnets out of North High School a couple of years after I graduated. I didn't find out until I went to school to see if I could volunteer as an aide for the Arts and Communications program--mind you I was in the Computer graphics/animation magnet when I was there.

Edison High School will be losing their art program soon. I don't remember if it was visual or music, but it's being cut. That's why my friend is having a fundraiser. Because if Edison can lose their art program, that means that other Minenapolis schools will suffer. And sports will always stay in schools! You pay for your own jerseys and equipment every season. It's been like that here for YEARS. I was on the fencing team, and I had the choice to pay for my equipment each year, or pay for my own equipment to keep perpetually. The latter was a little more expensive, so I have my own gear still. You don't get free sports gear ever. Another friend of mine played semi-pro football up until this last season, and he had to pay for his own gear. Mind you, you don't get paid for the semi-pro season. Only arena footbal and NFL.

There have always been cuts like this--Peach, you can vouch for me on this one. Around here, the only way you can have an art class around here and keep it through out your entire enrollment in school, is if you go the Perpich Arts High School. Minneapolis is spending all of its money on new arenas (even though we already have three) and the schools are paying the price. That's about the jist of it.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Do ya know if the parents and students have been making a fuss at any of the schoolboard meetings over these cuts?

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

It's more likely that they would throw a fit over the sports being cut. A lot of students work toward sports scholarships through the sports programs who might not otherwise be able to get in. Kids interested in arts tend to find a way no matter what. Also the sports programs make money and the arts doesn't. Money talks even in the school system. I'm afraid that is just one more way the public school system is broken in the US. I was just hoping for a resource I could look up.

Fact is that it has happened more then once where schools who are failing to educate try to "refocus" through cutting anything "unnecessary". Usually they end up putting them back in after the math scores start dropping.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    Do ya know if the parents and students have been making a fuss at any of the schoolboard meetings over these cuts?
    That I don't know. I haven't been to a school board/PTA meeting since I worked for Lincoln Elementary. But I DO know that alumni from certain schools are throwing huge tantrums about it. They feel like the younger students should have the very same experiences that we had when we attended.

I'm gonna start a thread on this topic at MySpace.com and see how many of my former classmates have something to say about this. I'll even post my results if you'd like.

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

the arts is clensing of the soul it has to be there if they take away that they should take away english too cos am i right if not tell me but poems storys the ant a type of art form am i right if so the should take way that and all and i wouldnt be surpised if they lost alot of sudants cos if this i know i would be on the frist bus out of there

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast