+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down forests to make toilet paper

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cutting down forests to make toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by princesslady View Post
    sorry arianna but they are going to start cutting down rainforset trees to make paper products including toilet paper. and where did you clearcutting comment come from?
    Then give me a link that proves it since everything I have read says they want softwoods for the longer fibers. It just gives you a better product and since such tree farms are quite lucritive it is only in third world countries they have to turn to destroying their forests and jungles. You could say that supporting bussinesses like Kleenex/Kimberly-Clark actually helps prevent the destruction of the rainforest since they only use wood from "sustainably managed forests". If they continue to expand in the market then the bussineses that don't could be put out of bussiness.

My clear cutting comment is the essence of the argument for and against logging. You see, when someone logs a forest or jungle they actually make it more healthy by clearing spaces in the trees making room for more new growth etc. not to mention planting new trees. It actually makes the ecosystem healthier and takes the place of things like oh... forest fires. It is only when clearcutting is used that damage is done to the ecosystem and rare plantlife is destroyed. Clearcutting is not used in sustainably managed forests.

Now you have said I am incorect. How about a link or site to back up what you are asserting or I will write it off as your opinion only.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

The Rainforests - Information

The Rainforests > Rainforest Information

Photo courtesy by RIC

The Rainforests are the most natural, beautiful, diverse places on this Earth. They are home to many rare birds, plants and animals, contributing around 50 to 80% of the species on this Earth. Today it is termed as. 'The Lungs of the Earth' and two thousand years ago, 'The Gardens of Eden'. Within the last forty years we as a whole have managed to destroy seventy percent of these Ancient Forests.

It takes an average of 300-500 years for a tree to firmly establish its roots with a maximum height for some of the trees reaching 200ft you can easily see why it takes this long and yet minutes to burn. With the size of Wales being destroyed each year for products such as toilet paper, newspaper, writing paper and furniture, the forests are looking more like deserts than the greenery it once was. So where are these forests that we hear so much about, below is a list of them all, many now have been cultivated for land to graze cattle, for roads and of course felled for their

Rainforest - tropical rain forest - Rainforest Fact

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, now can you find an unbiased link that covers more facts then the PR packages from the 80's?

First, they are not the lungs of the earth. We have since discovered that that is the oceans followed by the grasslands. Second, the people clearcutting those rainforests are the ones living there. They have that right. Third, both of those sites are PR sites, have a decided bias, and have no incentive to get their facts right or present the entire picture if it helps them.

Now rainforests are harvested for their hardwood for furnishings. The sawdust from manufacturing those products are sold to manufacturers of paper products including toilet paper. The trees aren't cut down for the purpose of making toilet paper, it is a byproduct and it they can't buy it from them they'll get it elsewhere. Companies like Kleenex however only buy their wood from sustainably managed forests because that way they can control the quality and because soft woods provide longer fibers wich result in a higher quality product, and in the case of toilet paper a softer tissue. It is actually the way that companies are moving and by buying high quality papers you are more likely to be supporting tree farming companies. If you want to change the harvesting of rainforests stop buying hardwood furniture made from rainforest woods. Not buying toilet paper won't make a difference.

So now you tell me. The thread is about the Kleenex company and a claim by Greenpeace that they are destroying forests. However Kleenex does not use non-renewed forest wood. What's more, they get their woods from North America. So... how does that transfer into "Save our Rainforests"? (Since you are the one that brought up the rainforests in the first place even though it had nothing to do with the thread.)

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Arrianna, who's to say that the kleenex site isn't biased aswell - they are trying to sell the product after all.

I guess unless we actually researched it ourselves, we'll never really know the whole true story of where they are getting the wood from

High-quality KLEENEX® Tissue requires high-quality cellulose fibers. Pulp is purchased from a number of different sources. Approximately 10 percent of the pulp used is supplied by Kimberly-Clark's own pulp mills. Kimberly-Clark does not own any forestlands but requires that all fiber purchased for our pulp mills come from sustainably managed forests.
    unless i'm reading it wrong: where does the other 90% come from?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    Arrianna, who's to say that the kleenex site isn't biased aswell - they are trying to sell the product after all.

I guess unless we actually researched it ourselves, we'll never really know the whole true story of where they are getting the wood from

unless i'm reading it wrong: where does the other 90% come from?
    Probably form other sustainably managed forests?

Otaku rockroc may be famous one day rockroc may be famous one day rockroc's Avatar
    Thanks

Tissue isn't really paper its kinda paper, they also use fibers of cloth, but small fibers.

Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Thanks

It takes a long time for a good tree to grow. I spend the money on 100% recycled tp. I dont really care what I wipe my butt with. Some people say they wanna be clean and that low quality tp doesnt do this for them, but I need to ask what isnt getting clean? Theres only one exit and if your having problems keeping your crap confined to this one area, maybe you should use a baby wipe or something. This way you would only use one piece instead of three or four. If you need more than that then you need to eat something a little more solid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast