+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down forests to make toilet paper

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cutting down forests to make toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    Arrianna, who's to say that the kleenex site isn't biased aswell - they are trying to sell the product after all.

I guess unless we actually researched it ourselves, we'll never really know the whole true story of where they are getting the wood from

unless i'm reading it wrong: where does the other 90% come from?
    Now that is a good question. Thank you.

Considering however that they say they use "spruce, fir, aspen, maple and eucalyptus" exclusively we can guess where they are not getting them from. Then it's just a matter of checking the sources of those woods in the bussiness. Lying about that could get them in serious trouble law wise so I suspect that much is true.

Chances are alot of it does come from Canada since they export a great deal of wood. So the next question is what laws does Canada have concerning forest maintenance. When living there I was impressed with the land managment I saw so personally I would tend to be rather optimistic on the subject.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Patrick Chan may be famous one day Patrick Chan may be famous one day Patrick Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=_gwenibe_;401099]Link to Article

So what do you guys think?
    Will you boy cott these products?
    Would you used recycled toilet paper?

i would not boycott these products because i need it for sure. in parts of asia they recycle old newpapers to produce toilet papers. you can see some newsprint on them if you purchase the cheap ones. i was wondering why tissues and toilet papers come in twin ply, if we just peel them off and use just one single ply - i think we will be saving half of the trees meant for making toilet paper and tissues...

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a thought, wipe your ass with plastic for a week then come back here and say the same thing. No we should not make them stop. As long as we keep eating we'll keep ridding ourselves of that which we ate but did not process. So long as we do that we will need to keep ourselves reasonably clean. Therefore we should continue cutting down (and planting) trees to further our progress in having a nice relaxing time reading while on the john.

And for the record I don't read in there, if I did I wouldn't be able to touch that book again D:

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frr_vegeta View Post
    Here's a thought, wipe your ass with plastic for a week then come back here and say the same thing. No we should not make them stop. As long as we keep eating we'll keep ridding ourselves of that which we ate but did not process. So long as we do that we will need to keep ourselves reasonably clean. Therefore we should continue cutting down (and planting) trees to further our progress in having a nice relaxing time reading while on the john.

And for the record I don't read in there, if I did I wouldn't be able to touch that book again D:
    lol, you pretty much said everything i needed to say and more

why make such a pointless thread? if youre against it, go collect some leaves and use those, but im not going to stop using toilet paper

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shu View Post
    lol, you pretty much said everything i needed to say and more

why make such a pointless thread? if youre against it, go collect some leaves and use those, but im not going to stop using toilet paper
    Actually trees need leaves to live. If you were truely against it you would have to use dead dried up leaves which have already fallen off trees in the fall.

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frr_vegeta View Post
    Actually trees need leaves to live. If you were truely against it you would have to use dead dried up leaves which have already fallen off trees in the fall.
    umm ..................ouch

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

The hell? This is still going on while I was busy with my portfolio?

Tree farms are vast stretches of land planted with one type of tree. The problems with these farms are multifold: first, native forests are often cut down to make way for these lucrative farms and second, they are sprayed with various chemicals to ensure that only the particular tree of interest grows – all else is killed – which means that no animals or insects can survive in these farms. Additionally, this chemical spraying can and often does contaminate local waterways and communities. Industrial monoculture tree plantations are having a devastating effect in the Global South.
    Global Justice Ecology Project: GlobalJusticeEcology.org , Hinesburg, VT
    and
    Global Justice Ecology Project: GlobalJusticeEcology.org , Hinesburg, VT

Ok let say they plant the trees back with different kinds of species, they planted all the trees back they have cut. The newly planted forest won't have enough time to "grow" back meaning not just the trees, as in back to what it was once was before it was cut with all the animals, other types of plant whatever before it gets cut again for manufacturing. The forest could of been homes to animals,insects and different plants that can only live there.

Plus with such high demands, I don't even know how sustainable forestry can keep up the demands. Thats where tree farms comes in, read the quote again. People worry about population where there isn't enough space for everyone but consumption is more of a problem than the worlds population.

Don't know why such thing can be sacrificed for the comfort of wiping your own ass. Thats why we recycle or just use less. The tree farm doesn't just apply to making toilet paper, just in case nobody notice.
    Last edited by ZeRoGravity; Oct 30, 2006 at 02:05 PM.

Newbie CoNtR0l may be famous one day CoNtR0l may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think its a terraible thing to..What cut down something good to the community for something ur going to be whiping ur a** with.No deal its a bad idea but what can you do right

Anime Black-Join My Anime Forum
    http://z10.invisionfree.com/Anime_Black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast