+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyber Love?

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Cyber Love?

All right good people on AO. I have something I would like to ask you all.

If you never met a person just emailed them and/or mabey even called them a couple of times. Could you truly say that you knew them well enough to say that you love them? I mean while it may seem like the perfect relationship, is it really? Do you truly need to met the person to say that you love them? Or is it just infatuation with the other person that makes you think that your in love with them? I realize that if you acutally met with the other person, it would be a bit different. But I still have a hard time beliving that a true relationship can come out of just emailing somebody. Am I wrong?

I don't want to offend anyone who is in a relationship like this but I just don't understand it. If I'm wrong about it please convince me, but as for right now I just don't understand it.

So what do all of you on AO think about this?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cyber Love?

I think there are levels of maturity in all things... including love. But like any emotion, there's not much account for maturity or sense in what makes people feel the way they do.

In this world, there are people who fall in love with animals, inanimate objects, celebrities... all sorts of people who CAN'T return their feelings in any sort of sensical fashion. But they still end up feeling "love" one way or another.

It's totally possible to fall in love over the internet. It's not SMART, mature or necessarily based entirely on truth (the internet makes it too easy to tell white lies, send touched up photos and edit your statements)... but plenty of people have done it and plenty more will.

In general, think the internet should be used sort of like a telephone: as a suppliment to real life. You meet folks and like them... then you go out of your way to meet them and make those relationships "real". That's not necessarily immature: it's actually pretty freaking brave (since it generally requires travel, potential dissappointment and being totally out of your element).

My parents both remmaried people they met on the internet. Half of the relationships I've ever had began as penpals, tutors I met on the net, or just online buddies. As I've gotten older I've gotten a lot less likely to "fall" for someone texting me... but when I was younger, I did the long-distance thing once or twice myself.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    If you never met a person just emailed them and/or mabey even called them a couple of times. Could you truly say that you knew them well enough to say that you love them? I mean while it may seem like the perfect relationship, is it really? Do you truly need to met the person to say that you love them? Or is it just infatuation with the other person that makes you think that your in love with them? I realize that if you acutally met with the other person, it would be a bit different. But I still have a hard time beliving that a true relationship can come out of just emailing somebody. Am I wrong?
    I think it depends on the person. I know I wouldn't want anyone to fall in love with me through e-mail. Through my writing, people might develop a highly romanticized version of me . . . in reality, I'm really cold-hearted and a bit of a sadist. If someone knew me entirely - knew of all my faults and foibles (as if I'd really confess them, or even admit them to myself) - that'd be one thing. I'm just afraid of hurting someone like that . . .

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd haveta agree wit tsurara on this one, some cyber relationships work, others don'. U do need ta b careful, I guess it would b one of those "let the buyer beware" except ur not buyin' anythin', but that's not my point. Caution is the "key word" here, there r alotta crazy people out there who use the internet as a means of meetin' people that they wanna hurt. I'm not, necessarily, tryin' ta scare anyone from tryin' ta find that special someone through the internet, though. If one feels it'll work then they should go for it, but only after meetin' that person and gettin' ta know them in real life. Like tsurara said, the internet is alot like the telephone; a useful tool for meetin' someone, but not a good substitute.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku ice viper is off to a good start ice viper's Avatar
    Thanks

Fireandice I can understand where you are coming from. Actually I am in the same boat as you not understanding how someone can actually have a relationship with someone over the inet. With all of the people that I talk to I just consider them penpals or friends. I am one that really doen't through around the words "I love you". My personality is soooo different in real life than on the internet. I will agree with Joe Mage on this that you do have to be careful on the internt since their are people with will use the internet to hurt people. And divine_punishment YOUR NOT A COLD HEARTED!!
    Last edited by ice viper; Aug 26, 2007 at 09:05 AM.

Otaku Nodes Champion, Flames of Fury Champion shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz's Avatar
    the sign says "in a black hole". Is that even possible?!?!
    Thanks

Choosing to fall in love online is not really your choice. If you do fall in love online, it's just fine. I myself can actually say I know what it means to ----- cutting that. But, still falling in love is just like running into a glitch in a game. It can be a completely random encounter or it can be planned. Just like some people look for glitches, Some people look for love online. The only problem I actually see with it is, you can't completely trust the one you "love" online. . .

A big thanks to Renn for the sig! THANK YOU!

Banned Jamie5192 is off to a good start Jamie5192's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that you can fall in love with someone online... it is possible and it happens more than most people think.. Granted it is dangerous to do that because you have no idea who your getting yourself involved with, there are more and more relationships online that work out. In all honesty you usually don't plan of falling in love with someone it just happens, online or in real life. There are several things wrong with online dating, the main one is you don't know if they are telling the truth or not, if they actually love you or not... And online dating is so that you can meet people you don't know... People from other towns, cities, states... how often do you find the love of your life in your hometown??? Very rarely... i don't know if i was talking about what i should have and i could keep going but I am starting to ramble... so maybe i'll write more later...^^

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

I used to do the AORelationships (america online, not anime ) And the general internet relationship thing. In fact most of my dating relationships have been through the computer. I had two boyfriends at different times online that came to visit me. THese relationships were hard and rather dramatic. I'm a physical person I found out later in my life. Now that I'm an adult and know what I can get and give into and from a relationship with someone. I know that I need more then the emotional support which is essentially the only thing someone online can offer you if you want to be realistic about it. I need touch and feel and sight. I need to be able to look at a person to know they love me and that sort of thing. I called myself and felt really in love with these people. They were everything to me at certian points. But in the end, now that I've experianced an actual face to face relationship. I had no idea about love. At all. For me love is easiest known in someone elses eyes. If I can't see their eyes I can't believe their words of adoration. I do believe that for some people these relationships work. WHen I was a kid, they worked for me. Now that I'm not, I realize how difficult and not worth it they really are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast