+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cyber Love?

Otaku Robo Soccer Champion, Gorillaz Groove Session Champion blackrose92 is off to a good start blackrose92's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cyber Love?

i agree with you firedance, i dont understand it either o.0 i think it would be better not to be in a relationship over the internet especially since you've never met the person..but if they want to do that i guess its their choice...
    I'm the best you'll ever have because i am that f*ing AMA-zing chic who can stand on her own d*n feet and becasue of you I am the Greatest Thank you so much SasuraiHell and Gwen

Otaku Meji Imaru may be famous one day Meji Imaru may be famous one day Meji Imaru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Like actually hanging out, eating together, watching movies together, playing games together, meeting each others' family and friends, holding hands, kissing, hugging, seeing what each other looks like when you HAVEN'T done your makeup and lighting for selected myspace picshoots, not being able to hide that HUUUGE zit or creeping pot-belly, learning what you're like when you're tired/sick/miserable, how you treat others (and each other) when you aren't hiding behind a computer screen?

Sorry... but I think MEETING someone online is just the bees knees... but having an entirely relationship?? Until you're in the same room together: you're still just roleplaying.

EVERYONE is pretending on the computer... even if it's just a little bit. NO ONE is quite the same online as they are "in real life". Add to that the fact that by virtue of being so far away and not having met, 90% of the blanks are left for you to fill in with your own idealized fantasies. Having a love affair online is sort of like writing yourself into a self-insertion fanfic: and while I appreciate that some people NEED that... I also think a lot of those people are really just scared to go out and have a one-on-one relationship with a person without the safety of a computer screen and half a world between them.

So, can you honestly say that when you talk to you boyfriend over the phone, your merely roleplaying?

Otaku Lupas is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    All right good people on AO. I have something I would like to ask you all.

If you never met a person just emailed them and/or mabey even called them a couple of times. Could you truly say that you knew them well enough to say that you love them? I mean while it may seem like the perfect relationship, is it really? Do you truly need to met the person to say that you love them? Or is it just infatuation with the other person that makes you think that your in love with them? I realize that if you acutally met with the other person, it would be a bit different. But I still have a hard time beliving that a true relationship can come out of just emailing somebody. Am I wrong?

I don't want to offend anyone who is in a relationship like this but I just don't understand it. If I'm wrong about it please convince me, but as for right now I just don't understand it.

So what do all of you on AO think about this?
    i believe love lies behind ones eyes
    look once even in anger u'll see it
    the first time and every time

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I say that you have to know someone for quite a while before you can say that you love them. I also think that before you reach a certain age you don't really know what love is. I think that even when you are in high school and have had a couple relationships you don't know what love really is. You need to get out of all the drama of high school and go into the real world where you can really experience it.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meji Imaru View Post
    So, can you honestly say that when you talk to you boyfriend over the phone, your merely roleplaying?
    No. Because I see him nearly every day and know too much about him (and visa versa) to be tempted into pretending to be anything I'm not.

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Like actually hanging out, eating together, watching movies together, playing games together, meeting each others' family and friends, holding hands, kissing, hugging, seeing what each other looks like when you HAVEN'T done your makeup and lighting for selected myspace picshoots, not being able to hide that HUUUGE zit or creeping pot-belly, learning what you're like when you're tired/sick/miserable, how you treat others (and each other) when you aren't hiding behind a computer screen?

Sorry... but I think MEETING someone online is just the bees knees... but having an entirely relationship?? Until you're in the same room together: you're still just roleplaying.

EVERYONE is pretending on the computer... even if it's just a little bit. NO ONE is quite the same online as they are "in real life". Add to that the fact that by virtue of being so far away and not having met, 90% of the blanks are left for you to fill in with your own idealized fantasies. Having a love affair online is sort of like writing yourself into a self-insertion fanfic: and while I appreciate that some people NEED that... I also think a lot of those people are really just scared to go out and have a one-on-one relationship with a person without the safety of a computer screen and half a world between them.
    I must say I agree with you entierly. Same point I had but you conveyed it a LOT better. People are different online. When I was a big girl, online even if they boy knew i was big, I didn't have to ACT like a big girl. I could be "flirty" and such like that without it being judged because the only time they kenw was when Iwas showing pictures. You can be ANYONE on the internet, some people chose to be something/someone close to themselves. And some people make up an entierly different person. Which is why I've always been wary about the whole thing in the first place.

Newbie rukiasoulreaper is off to a good start rukiasoulreaper's Avatar
    Thanks

the most serious problem w/ cyber love is how do you know that they're not lying about their age? Seriously, because you could be chatting w/ some cute guy who's actually some old pervert. T_T I just think that for cyber love u need to make out that the important info (sex & age) r actually true.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rukiasoulreaper View Post
    the most serious problem w/ cyber love is how do you know that they're not lying about their age? Seriously, because you could be chatting w/ some cute guy who's actually some old pervert. T_T I just think that for cyber love u need to make out that the important info (sex & age) r actually true.
    If looks, real interaction and physicality don't matter: if it's JUST your heart, personality and you "can't help how you feel" then why couldn't you be in love with a much older man? a pedophile? an incredibly ugly person?

If it's just the personality that matters: why do you want photos? Even if you do get photos: how do you know they're of the right person? (It's easy enough to find someone else's facebook or flicker and send all of those photos passing them off as your own)

Seems to me the cyber love proponents are a bit naeive...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast