Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Death Footage, Entertainment Gone Too Far

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Death Footage, Entertainment Gone Too Far

Death and violence are everywhere. Not showing footage of it won't make a difference. People die horribly all over the globe. I also watch the news to be informed, certainly not to be entertained.

Faces Of Death is fake, and not even that bad. The only shots that are real are the ones from the morgues. I do special effects makeup - I can tell a rubber monkey head when I see one. V.V;;

Anyone heard of the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs? Three 19 year old kids in the Ukraine brutally murdered 21 people within a two month period. Their victims were random. They video taped and photographed their crimes. One video got leaked on the net - So much so that the authorities can't control it. It's hideous and foul. Apparently, they were doing it for money - Making snuff films. Some witnesses alleged that they heard them talking about some rich website owner that wanted 40 films made. The prosecutors thought they were just doing it as some sort of sick "hobby." Trust me, they are behind bars for a long while.

So indeed, there are people who find this sort of thing entertaining. The Dnepropetrovsk maniacs are an extreme example - But I wouldn't be surprised if this "rich website owner" was a legitimate deal. That means a lot of nasty people are watching.

So when I see the news, and they show violence, a dead body, someone getting shot, I am not entertained. I'm reminded to keep myself and my loved ones safe, and I remember the world isn't all rainbows and bunny rabbits.

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Horror movie, right there on my TV...
    It's the 6:30 news...
    Part of the chorus of an older song. Still rings true though...

Now I'll admit, there are times when death & violence are acceptable, such as during a relevant news story, or when a storyline calls for it, but only if it's tastefully done. Just having someone's brains splattered all over the walls for the sake of it (not for real of course) is OK every now & again, but sometimes it can show up a bit too much...

Actually, I noticed something a few days ago. I grew up watching Astro Boy, Transformers G1, Thunder Cats, Inspector Gadget & so on, & in those, basically nobody died. they got blown up by bombs, the snot beaten out of them & so on, but they rarely actually died. Nowadays, it can be a bit too easy to see some character blasting away SWAT troops just to show how tough they are. Mindless violence with no reason behind it? Never was too big on those kinda movies, I do want a semi-decent story at least...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

Look i grew up with action cartoon, action Anime, video games and even Wrestling and yes I even read /still collect Punisher Comicbook,

But "these death video" on other video they don't brother me I just blame MTV'S Steve O and The Show "Jackass" for those videos and these death videos Each person or people that are in these death video want that 15 mins of fame, Did they have consider that 15mins of fame could be thier last mark on or in the world..

Otaku Zidane - Head Butt Game Champion, Zizzo Challenge Champion, Zwill Champion, Aragon Dragon Champion KingAnime is off to a good start
    Thanks

Faces of death doesn't even compare to documenting reality, talk about gruesome this goes beyond that by miles.

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night
    No Evil Shall Escape My Sight
    Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might
    Beware My Power Green Lanterns Might

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally have mixed feelings.

Some people say seeing death desensitizes us.

But, death is reality. How much is it helping to be so overly sensitive?... If by turning our heads... Or censoring.... Or diverting... doesn't really mean we eliminate, or even decrease it?

Some people live in war zones, where death is all around. And they don't have the option of complaining. They cant turn the channel.

But, I suppose that fact would make SEEKING death footage (although I have been guilty of this) VERY appalling. Im not sure I thinks its bad for news to document death. Their job is to report real life (including death). It gives you a chance to put into prerpective that there are people who have to live as witnesses to this kind of tragedy.

Looking for that footage though, would indicate (in my opinion), that there is a thrill you enjoy by viewing death.
    ... Not Ever Again...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peach_follows For This Useful Post:

Spike'sRose (Jan 04, 2010)

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post

Looking for that footage though, would indicate (in my opinion), that there is a thrill you enjoy by viewing death.
    Do you feel that is an okay way to get thrills or are you indifferent? Is it like bungee jumping or sky diving, it doesn't bother you.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Some people live in war zones, where death is all around. And they don't have the option of complaining. They cant turn the channel.
    Agreed.

That's sort of what I meant in my post, but you said it better than I.

It's hard to accpet reality. It's a rough world out there. It's painful to know that people are suffering and dying, but that's the truth of it.

I think you can acknowledge this fact, and accept it... There's not a whole lot we can do as individuals to change the way the world is. In our own lives we can, yes. And that's makes some small difference. Or you can wear blinders and remain ignorant. Sometimes, ignorance can breed the very violence we see on the news.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Do you feel that is an okay way to get thrills or are you indifferent? Is it like bungee jumping or sky diving, it doesn't bother you.
    I did mention that I thought seeking "death footage" was appalling. Even though I've been guilty of doing so, Ive deeply regretted it. However, I would say I fell more into curiosity rather than thrill seeking. It still felt wrong.

I do think however, there's a difference between documenting death (informing people of tragedy).

....And exploiting death (feeding off of the hype).
    ... Not Ever Again...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast