+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deism: why hasn't it caught on?

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Deism: why hasn't it caught on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    Pointless rivalries end up making both religions look bad because people begin doing things because "it is God's will", when in reality it's the followers' will.
    We're back to one of my many qualms with organized religion, beast. I already know people use religion to justify their prejudices, that doesn't make it ok. It shallows the beliefs and makes its 'followers' look like fools. And when people like me see this, a lot of the time those people lose faith altogether. They denounce even the existence of God because of the follies of its followers, or the ridiculousness of their beliefs. Deism offers the concept of God, but isn't muddied by organized fanatics, it's just the idea. How is that NOT attractive?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Jun 14, 2010)

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

How is that NOT attractive?
    Because it doesn't fulfil the needs that religion does. Religion justifies how power is distributed through society. Most religions call for a male dominated society. certainly many religions contradict this but they have fewer members than does Christianity and Islam.

Many religions also lay out peoples place in society based on where they are born and what their occupation is.

Most religions give you a sense of control over your life. You do certain rituals and you get good fortune and can go to heaven when you die.

Religion also fulfils peoples need for social acceptance. To be in a group of like minded people . This drive even exceeds peoples desire for peace. This religion fails miserably in being a tool of the state.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Deism offers all of that again, without the bullshit.

Deism advocates LOGIC and REASON, which can be used to justify the distribution of power far more effectively then medieval bullshit like "divine right" or our more popular chant today, "God's will."

A religion that encourages people to think logically and to seek out answers to the questions they have gives people an objective, and a pretty broad choice on what they can do with their life.

With that power of choice, people will feel a sense of control over their life, just as much as they would if they followed a traditional religion.

See, there's nothing traditional religion has that can't be just as easily applied to Deism. The only difference is that "God's will" falls out of the equation, and the ones who ought to be responsible are the ones left to deal with consequence.

It's more honest, it's more progressive. It demands intelligence of a world in desperate need of upgrading. Traditional religion is meaningless if its messages and practices do not evolve with the times. Granted some messages are timeless, and therefore should not be forgotten, but many times the practices become obsolete, and are best left in a page of history, not practiced in a modern world.

And amidst Deism's advocacy for logic, there still lies that underlying appreciation for the wonder of nature. So again I ask, how is that not attractive?!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Jun 14, 2010), Mittens1987 (Jun 22, 2010)

Newbie Tamahome is off to a good start Tamahome's Avatar
    Thanks

Deism is something I have also believed in and like you, I've recently discovered that it has a name. However, it'll never become the future of religion because if we don't have a God who tells us "don't do this or you'll be damned", we have no one to fear so you see, we can never have an unbiased God.

With Deism, everything is straightforward and there's no room for a priest to say some bogus things like "God works in mysterious ways" whenever you have a question they cannot answer.

What I'm trying to say is the reason it has never caught on to mainstream society and the reason it won't be the future of religion is that well.....it makes too much sense. Also, people who believe in Deism don't have to go to church, pray, and have certain ridiculous rules to be "saved" from a God that's supposed to love them.

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

So again I ask, how is that not attractive?!
    Responsibility: With other religious philosophies, one doesn't need to say "Why is this happening to me?"--they just have to convince themselves that some deity is responsible for the shit they got themselves into. But no one wants to grow up. They want to be babies and point the finger at someone else. Even when it really isn't their fault, they always need someone to blame, and Deism can't offer that.
    In other words, most people are too immature to believe in Deism or any other similar religious ideas.
    Then again, it's fairly difficult to say that there is a sole reason for why Deism hasn't "caught on".

Thanks

bright and beast do make the point..it lacks a scapegoat. The need to blame someone, of this world or otherwise, is much too ingrained in too many people's heads. I really already knew that in my mind before we started this debate, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if we wanted a future where mankind doesn't slit its own throat, Deism would be a very progressive mindset for man to follow. I guess it's wishful thinking on my part that our leaders today wouldn't try to advocate the idea more. We live in a world where we push the envelop for ideas on at a near exponential level; I think injecting some of the ideas of Deism into the school of thought would lead to a more honest society that can survive because when you think about it, Deism's only true 'enemy' are those without reason or logic. An enemy I think we all hate.

There's only two real outcomes for mankind: Our own self-destruction (which is what we're headed towards now in my, and apparently most of your opinions) , or our continued prosperity until nature destroys us anyway. Deism would certainly be a useful mindset to have when trying sustain what we have and, taking a more optimistic standpoint, could save us from even the ravages of nature.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

People tend to think that Deism is unattractive because they fear what they don't understand. I am all for it and encourage others to look in to it. Deism offers us the ability to think for ourselves while offering the same amount of hope and faith that others put in God. It grants us the ability to discern what we can and cannot change and gives us a life free of BS, when talking about what is God's will or who is practicing the wrong religion. In fact, we are able to accept other's beliefs because we have no reason to point fingers at anybody--be they Jew, Muslim or Christian.

We get to use science and logic as a tool to better understand the "laws of God" or the laws of the universe and even a better understanding of why we have free will. I've never heard of an organized religion even promote the use of free will. We simply do what "God tells us to do".

Newbie Mittens1987 is off to a good start Mittens1987's Avatar
    Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it...there are two stand points within Deism regarding the after-life:

a) some Deists believe that the punishments/rewards are given to us during our life
    b) some Deists believe that the punishments/rewards are given to us in the afterlife

This follows my own research on Deism, and I found that Deists believe there is a god whom is the creator of our world and that the god created our world to exist and abide within nature's laws.

Deism states a belief in reason and logic and encourages its followers to live life by seeking out the reason and logic within experiences and events, etc...

Now...going back to my earlier point of punishment and reward....I have read the posts in this thread and I am wondering if maybe something went amiss in my research...

Everyone agrees that Deism is the world created by a god to exist and abide within nature's laws...right?

In the animal kingdom, aka nature...there are laws. Things can be done that fall within reason, logic and that are not wasteful..things that can be done to further growth and existence.

For example; a cheetah can kill a gazelle, for food. But you won't see a cheetah kill a gazelle for sh--ts and giggles.

(this is rambling...sorry, I will wrap up with my point now)

I found, in my research, that in Deism, it is a belief that the creator of our world expects us to behave morally; meaning, following nature's laws.

From what I read about Deism...it is a pretty equal match for any organized religion out there.

I think the only reason it has not caught on is because people are afraid of the unknown, and Deism states that the god which created our world DOES NOT intervene in our lives; that leaves our lives purely open...leaves US open.

I think it all boils down to: people need their blankies..their security blankets, that is.
    Last edited by Mittens1987; Jun 22, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: correcting typos

~mM ... Curiosity killed the cat... Mm~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast