+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Designer Children

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Designer Children

Theres a lot of movie and book suggestions here. ^^

I am so ignorant on this topic.... I should probably do some research before commenting... BUT I'm tired.

My question is.... If there are natural anomalies that we, as a sepcies OF nature can not yet explain..... Then, how is it we plan to emulate the very same nature that we don't fully understand! We aren't even that successful of a species!

I mean... the humans responsible for this egineering would likely be born natrually correct? Some old scientists? Just as prone to making mistakes as anyone else.... I doubt that such attempts would be so successful that we'd end up with a superior race. We never perfect anything! And even when we come close... its after much trial and error. So I am imagining, in lieu of super beings; We will end up with a generation of defected kids... born to those who like to gamble with their monay. Frankly, betting that another human is going to assist you in creating something closer to perfect- Sounds beyond retarded to me.

I'm not really in favor of in vitro either... Although I understand wanting to have your own child, rather than to adopt. It is still sad to me... So many children go without families. But my reasoning for bring up in vitro is.... it sounds like a great idea to some
    But studies show that in vitro babies have higher risk of certain birth defect than those born naturally. Face it... as great as we like to think we are, we really haven't IMPROVED anything beyond natures capability.

Besides... I'm pretty sure, concieving the good ol' fashioned way... is a lot more fun than whatever those scientists are up to
    ... Not Ever Again...

Newbie dark anime prince may be famous one day dark anime prince may be famous one day dark anime prince's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    My question is.... If there are natural anomalies that we, as a sepcies OF nature can not yet explain..... Then, how is it we plan to emulate the very same nature that we don't fully understand! We aren't even that successful of a species!
    Lol, let's backtrack a little. We aren't that successful of a species? You gotta give your own species some more credit. Humans are the most developed of the animal kingdom, so I'd like to think that we're the smartest. Through theories such as the genetic drift, survival of the fittest, gene mutations, and so on, I think it's safe to say that we came out alive, fit and healthy, and ready to rule the world at the top of the food chain.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Most developed species? Even if we are... that doesn't make us successful. We have large brains (which we only use a percentage of). We think complex thoughts, we love, and we hate. Build big machines, buildings, weapons... So , yeah... we're an intelligent species alright.

But that doesn't make us successful. It just means we don't know when to stop.

There are bacteria that VASTLY out number us. Beings with a metabolic rate more sufficient for survival than us. Species more likely to survive environmental changes (because our once healthy environmental status is depleting due largely to our developed humaity). NATURE can take us out in the blink of an eye.... Yet, we think we have what it takes to replace natural process?

WOW.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Most developed species? Even if we are... that doesn't make us successful. We have large brains (which we only use a percentage of). We think complex thoughts, we love, and we hate. Build big machines, buildings, weapons... So , yeah... we're an intelligent species alright.

But that doesn't make us successful. It just means we don't know when to stop.
    I think the fact that our species has survived this long, and will probably continue to survive, is an indication of our success in this world. =]

There are bacteria that VASTLY out number us. Beings with a metabolic rate more sufficient for survival than us. Species more likely to survive environmental changes (because our once healthy environmental status is depleting due largely to our developed humaity). NATURE can take us out in the blink of an eye.... Yet, we think we have what it takes to replace natural process?

WOW.
    Lol, you're absolutely right. Bacteria is present everywhere we go. The term "superbug" scares me like none other. However, genetic mutations will continue to occur, just as is happening with all other organisms, 'til eventually, only the fittest will survive. It's a natural process, and I sincerely doubt that hindering the process of natural selection will be of any benefit to us in the long run. No matter how advanced technology has become, I still doubt, like you've said, that we have what it takes to replace the natural process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2