+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you believe it, or not?

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Do you believe it, or not?

I'm having problems understanding that there's any doubt in some people's minds that hypnosis is real. I mean the easiest way to find out is to try it yourself, there's plenty of methods of doing it, and plenty of people that know how to do it. Frankly, the see-it-before-i-believe-it is null and void because refuting it is as simple as allowing yourself to get hypnotized.

So tell me non-believers, do you have any decent argument as to why you refuse to believe the facts? And for those that are even so much as skeptic, why? So far it seems as though the skeptics can only comment on its effectiveness/ineffectiveness, when actual study of hypnosis has proven that the results are variable, so what other reasons do you have to be skeptical?

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

I think hiptism can cure like smoking or drinking Hiptism is like "The force" in star wars it can only work or a willing subject..

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe it some what but I don't think a human can ever be possessed to act against their own will or do anything to counter the instinct of self preservation. In other words I don't think you can compell someone with hypnosis to kill or commit suicide. I don't even think you can get them to sleep with you.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

All of what you mentioned are the media and Hollywood ideas and the kinda ridiculous, popular misconceptions about hypnosis that I was talking about. No one of any credibility has ever claimed they could hypnotize people to make them kill or sleep with you or things like that. I think people too often confuse hypnosis with mind control or the kinda trance vampires put beautiful ladies under in the old movies. If people stuck with the true definition of hypnosis they would agree that it does exist.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

!beast (Jan 31, 2010)

Otaku POOHEAD189 is off to a good start POOHEAD189's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't thin you could do things like make someone think they are actually floating through space or are being eaten. But I do think some hypnosis is possible.
    Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Newbie Zakizo is off to a good start Zakizo's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually I've read about this happening in a psychology book before. Apparently, hypnosis can, in theory, be used in place of pain medication during surgery. But according to the book, the persons ability to be hypnotized depends largely on whether or not they decide to open their mind to the hypnotist. This basically works by the hypnotist attracting the persons attention to basic things they otherwise wouldn't notice, until the person is induced into a trance-like state. For example, if I were to say: "How do your feet feel?" Your attention would be drawn to your feet, an area of your body which you might not have otherwise been paying attention to. So by going through things like that, the hypnotist would further and further change the persons awareness, until eventually the person would do anything the hypnotist said, even in theory, going so far as to ingnore any pain.
    What? You've never seen a talking cabbage before? Well, if you were a bit more open minded, then maybe you WOULD have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2