+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Does a plant have feelings?

「Someone」 Goo Slasher Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion, Flower Girl Champion KuwiRules145 is off to a good start KuwiRules145's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does a plant have feelings?

Exactly what Lasura said! It's kinda like this. How would you feel if some random person kept stepping on you or the puck your head off. You can't even say anything or stop it! Thats what I mean! Plants are living things that make for us to survive cause of them were surviving and cause of us their surviving. I mean we give them their carbon dioxide and they give us our oxygen! So yeah! Why do you think they bleed too.
    「When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead」

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Feelings such as sensory systems? No, plants don't have a central nervous system.
    Or do you mean feelings such as emotions?

You can't really answer that. Though scientists have proven that emotions are affected by the chemicals within our body as well as synapses within the mind, they can't fully admit that's where emotions string from... they can only call certain reactions as diseases and etc. But they can never say they know how the emotions fully respond.
    What do I mean? There's still the unknown factor. If there was such a thing as a "soul" then the human emotion could be affected by that as well. Even something that lacks the chemicals and etc, it can still show a "sign of an emotion". But that's debatable.

Is it alive? It's as alive as you and I. It is born, it eats, sometimes they sleep, they grow, and then they die.

In my opinion, they can be considered equal to all other creatures, even us.
    However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't walk on grass or anything like that... they're fine with that, it doesn't kill em nor "hurt" them. Not like you coulda' helped it in the first place anyways.

Creatures eat creatures. Whether meat or leaves. One shouldn't care if they feel pain or not, afterall, if you've got a problem with it, go tell a lion to stop doing that.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Plants don't have a brain, isn't the brain a major part of the emotion system? Like what Soshi said, they also don't have a nervous system, there for they can't feel pain.

But of course they are alive! nutrients water, too much sun to little sun effects them - therefore they have response to stimulus - proof that they are alive.

Now if we are talking spiritually ( which all depends on your view of life and the world). I believe that they are equal to any other creatures on this planet, I'd even go as far to say they are more, because of everything they bring us so much with so little recognition. They are amazing creatures.
    Last edited by _gwenibe_; Jun 19, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    Feelings such as sensory systems? No, plants don't have a central nervous system.
    Or do you mean feelings such as emotions?

You can't really answer that. Though scientists have proven that emotions are affected by the chemicals within our body as well as synapses within the mind, they can't fully admit that's where emotions string from... they can only call certain reactions as diseases and etc. But they can never say they know how the emotions fully respond.
    What do I mean? There's still the unknown factor. If there was such a thing as a "soul" then the human emotion could be affected by that as well. Even something that lacks the chemicals and etc, it can still show a "sign of an emotion". But that's debatable.

Is it alive? It's as alive as you and I. It is born, it eats, sometimes they sleep, they grow, and then they die.

In my opinion, they can be considered equal to all other creatures, even us.
    However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't walk on grass or anything like that... they're fine with that, it doesn't kill em nor "hurt" them. Not like you coulda' helped it in the first place anyways.

Creatures eat creatures. Whether meat or leaves. One shouldn't care if they feel pain or not, afterall, if you've got a problem with it, go tell a lion to stop doing that.
    I totally agree with your statement. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

If it lives, breaths, sleeps, and dies; then it has feelings/emotions. We're just unaware of it most the time.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

If you would stop and think about it, they are just alive. Humans put their own emotions and feelings on things that just don't have that capability. Think about it, if we weren't here they would still be doing the same thing they are now. Living and dying. It's that simple!

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    If you would stop and think about it, they are just alive. Humans put their own emotions and feelings on things that just don't have that capability. Think about it, if we weren't here they would still be doing the same thing they are now. Living and dying. It's that simple!
    We humans are sooo sensitive to things that we believe all things have emotions.
    Silly billy, we humans have rejected so many things that have had emotions through all our generations. Even when science has proven that animals can react to the same chemicals as we do and react in happiness and sadness, we humans, who created science, reject it anyways!

Us humans who believe things have emotions that don't "have the capability", are, unlike most certain people, more open in thoughts. Then we're called "heretics" and "blasphemers" by the religious, and "crazy" and "lonely" by the "normal" people.

It's that simple? Since when has the universe ever been simple? If you can prove anything and make it hardcore fact in the simplest form that would make the entire world agree to it, then you can say things are simple.
    It's not safe to say something "doesn't do this" or "doesn't have that"... it's more selfish to believe that something doesn't exist than to believe something does.

Oh, and I'm also sooo sure that plants would've done exactly the same thing if we humans weren't here. *obvious sarcasm*
    -_- Can you explain to me the science of how plants react to music?
    It's been proven by many plant-owners (and botanists and scientists), that those who talk to plants regularly as well as play "pleasant" music to them, grow faster and healthier. And this is without the use of supergrowth-drugs and hormones.
    O_o Can you explain that?

-_- Look, every creature reacts to another when they live with them. Us humans made the biggest impact in this entire ecosystem called the world, whether good or bad. They wouldn't be doing the same, trust me.
    Last edited by Soshi Kitai; Jun 20, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

So what are you saying? That plants that hear music will grow more? If that's the case then how do you explain the Rain forest? Most of what's there now hasn't come into human contact and it seems to be nice and healthy to me.

And as far as emotions go I am far from narrow minded when it comes to living things. But untill a blade of grass makes a sound I think that I'll stick to my opinions on this subject.

Otaku ice viper is off to a good start ice viper's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't think that plants have any feelings. Plants are here to make people enjoy them not the other way around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast