+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Does a plant have feelings?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does a plant have feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    So what are you saying? That plants that hear music will grow more? If that's the case then how do you explain the Rain forest? Most of what's there now hasn't come into human contact and it seems to be nice and healthy to me.

And as far as emotions go I am far from narrow minded when it comes to living things. But untill a blade of grass makes a sound I think that I'll stick to my opinions on this subject.
    if a tree falls and no one hears it, does it make a sound? ha ha ha... okay, bad joke...

anyways, i don't see how a blade of grass making a sound would change your opinion... it would kinda freak me out...

Music Therapy

this helps illustrate the whole music thing... but what i'm trying to say is that creatures will interact with other creatures around them. Ameobas will react to each other, sunflowers turn to the sun, cats avoid dogs, people avoid hippies (ha ha... okay... bad joke)... so i think that plants having feelings is perfectly natural...

whether or not what they feel means anything to man kind is something else... but i think they have feelings, i see no reason why not...

but of course, this goes to bigger questions, since your answer to one would obviously affect the others...

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

So what are you saying? That plants that hear music will grow more? If that's the case then how do you explain the Rain forest? Most of what's there now hasn't come into human contact and it seems to be nice and healthy to me.

And as far as emotions go I am far from narrow minded when it comes to living things. But untill a blade of grass makes a sound I think that I'll stick to my opinions on this subject.
    O_o So YOU'RE saying that you'd believe plants have feelings if grass had a vocal box in order to talk?

I'm sure mute people don't have any emotions.

-_- So the idea of all of your "against things, other than humans, having emotions" is the idea to express itself?
    But what you seem to be arguing right now is how creatures would still be the same without our help. And you used the rainforest as an example.

-_O Okay, then let me try it your way: Compare a (pure) feral dog to a domesticated dog.
    A feral dog seems to only act out of instinct, if it ever shows any signs of feelings, it is only towards its pack (if it has one).

A domesticated dog however, may be able to act out of instinct, but it's not as sharp as a feral dog's (unless if they were trained)... a domesticated dog seems to react to human emotions, knowing when a person is sad, happy, or etc. If they don't react to it, that's the dog's own doing.

Feral dogs only seem to know survival.

Domesticated dogs don't need to worry about surviving.

What's that got to do with plants?
    Well, you said rainforest.

Rainforests aren't affected by humans (besides them being cut down) because they aren't "raised" by us humans. Just like other creatures, plants are on a need of survival. Plants have self-defense mechanisms just the same as other creatures. The more the plant is in danger, the more likely it has some form of self-defense, or a high reproductive rate.

However, plants raised by humans, just like domesticated dogs, act differently from "wild" plants. They react to music as well as emotion in the room. Try bringing a plant into a really horribly-emotioned house and try taking care of it. Trust me, if it's not as great as it should be, it's dead.
    These plants don't need to survive, they're well-taken care of. And henceforth, seems to have more time to interact with its surroundings without survival in its genes. It can very well react in a happy surrounding as well as a sad surrounding. It can react to music the same ways baby humans do.

If the word "emotion" doesn't cut it for you, then how about character?
    Or do you seem to believe that no animal or creature other than humans have character?

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

On the contrary, I work with animals on a daily basis, so I know all about emotion and character of animals. It's probably the word "emotion" I'm having the problem with due to the fact that I consider crying,laughing,hating...etc. as emotion and not "acting out of instinct or survival" as emotion.And yes I agree that everything and everyone is stimulated by something. But that same something is usually some kinda of a vibe (for a better lack of term) that everyone puts off and out there for everything to feel or see. It is unique to everyone. So to oversimplify things, everyone and everything acts differently to everything. It's just something that happens.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd say because they don't actually show any or any livings moving capabilities, then no.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

No they dont have feelings they might be alive but they dont go @@@ he just stepped on me.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

On the contrary, I work with animals on a daily basis, so I know all about emotion and character of animals. It's probably the word "emotion" I'm having the problem with due to the fact that I consider crying,laughing,hating...etc. as emotion and not "acting out of instinct or survival" as emotion.And yes I agree that everything and everyone is stimulated by something. But that same something is usually some kinda of a vibe (for a better lack of term) that everyone puts off and out there for everything to feel or see. It is unique to everyone. So to oversimplify things, everyone and everything acts differently to everything. It's just something that happens.
    Well, I would see crying and hating as a habit of action.
    How we instinctively react to things at times, at least, in my opinion.
    Afterall, anger at things could be a survival method. Something you dislike. It wouldn't so much endanger you, but seeing how we humans are practically "domesticated" compared to how we were to the past, our needs of survival have lessened to things almost insignificant.

I think the "emotion" that follows before, during, or after anger and crying and etc is what I consider...
    But I suppose then, that emotion for me is a "pure choice", a "freewill of thought" I suppose.
    But I can't find any word to replace those phrases, seeing that I believe those aren't good enough to explain what I believe emotion is.

As for stimulation... I'll agree that everything reacts differently, but I believe that "differently" part would be their emotion.
    As for it just "happening", I believe that is part of the proof of the emotion.

At least for me.

(However, as for laughing... well, I think that's something totally different. )

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they are. The only difference is that they cant express it. If they could talk then they may say "Hey stop chopping off my branches"
    So yeah I think they do.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

i think tree .plants and all vegetation is alive
    in fact i saw a program a few years back where
    they were studying plant and tree reactions to certain
    sounds now there could be alot of explanations but i thought
    it was interesting , this guy went into the woods with a meter that
    pics up movements or vibrations form things , well the guy was like
    100 yards away from this tree and he started up this chainsaw .

and went no where near the tree but the meter moved a bit that
    was attached to the tree showing tree reacted to the noise of the
    chainsaw , this isn't prof for most but i thought it was and that
    if it was the tree actually reacting to the noise the the plants and
    other things around us react in similar ways , if not in th wya i just
    explained.

but i for one belive that they are alive just from seeig that show
    it was a nantional geographic thing or something along those lines
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast