+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't ask, Don't tell policy: Right or Wrong

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't ask, Don't tell policy: Right or Wrong

A while back, the United States military enacted the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Policy, which basically kept people from telling about their sexual preference.

What makes it interesting, is that if you should reveal yourself as either Homesexual or Bisexual, you can be discharged (honorably) from your unit earily. It was feared when the policy was enacted that increased homosexuals in the army would cause whatever units to errode gradually out of predjuice and fear from hetorsexuals.

Personally I think its a bunch of bullshit: these guys can fight just as well as anyone else.

I just wanted to know what you all thought.

Newbie bluewolf is off to a good start bluewolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Don't ask, Don't tell policy: Right or Wrong

A lot of people are probably going to shoot at me for this *hides behind a wall* but honestly I think it's a great policy on paper however in reality I think it has it's also unfair.

I think that on paper it's a great policy because sadly their are people who are homophobic. Homophobia is basically the new racism however unlike the color of everyone's skin we can keep our sexuality to ourselves. It's a way for the government to allow LBGT to be in the military with out their possibly being an issue with some homophobic people. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if once some people found out some one in their group wasn't straight they probably beat, torture, or even kill (friendly fire isn't all that friendly).

As great as I think it is because it keeps the issues from happening in the group it's absolutely unfair in reality. I believe that if someone gets a discharge for bringing up the fact that he or she is not straight than straight people should get discharged for saying that they are straight.

That's all just my opinion.
    I suppose Santa Claus doesn't go around delivering semi-automatics, extra mags, and cans of tear gas.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bluewolf For This Useful Post:

Marcus Fenix (Apr 20, 2011)

Thanks

Wow...I love it when you actually see intelligent people online. For some reason, Great Britan has not enacted this policy and has had no problems with it. Plenty of open homesexuals in the army and they ain't got one bone to pick.

I don't know, it may not help that the USA was founded on Christain Principles. And this is from what knowledge I have on the issue, any one who knows anything more should come forward and enilighten us from our ignorance.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like the policy one bit. I'm an Army vet and I don't think that it's fair for anybody to basically force homosexuals to hide who they are. They're defending our country just as good as any other people who are enlisted.

I had a friend in the Army who is gay and he had to act like he wasn't when we were on duty. It's a stupid policy. It's like saying I can't tell people I'm black. Like I should just walk around pretending I'm a different race. I don't have to, so why would a homosexual person be forced to act like a heterosexual. We live in a heterosexist society, so the "authorities" will do what they can to enforce the thinking that being straight is superior to being gay/lesbian.

Thanks

Unfortunately, that's life. Not really all that fair. Like I said, it's all bullshit.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

My dad, an old vietnam vet, had a comment about gays serving in the military, "a foxhole doesn' care what your sexual preference is." Meaning, in war, any problems one may have about being uncomfortable with someone elses sexual preference, usually, goes out the window... you're too busy fighting for your life to worry about someone elses business. Usually, it's during peace time that something like this becomes an issue. IMO it shouldn' matter what your sexual preference is, as long as it doesn' effect nor interfere with the job you're doing in the military. However, it IS a great issue during peace time and the "don' ask, don' tell" policy allows homosexuals to serve sans discrimination, even though it's a hypocritical policy. I, for one, do not like the policy, but I understand the reasoning behind it. It's not jus' to protect the heterosexuals who serve, but also the homosexuals who do. We are the greatest threat to ourselves, at times, and sometimes we need to protect ourselves from that threat. So thus, unfortunately, we enact hypocritical policies like "Don' ask, don' tell" to do jus' that.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    My dad, an old vietnam vet, had a comment about gays serving in the military, "a foxhole doesn' care what your sexual preference is." Meaning, in war, any problems one may have about being uncomfortable with someone elses sexual preference, usually, goes out the window... you're too busy fighting for your life to worry about someone elses business. Usually, it's during peace time that something like this becomes an issue. IMO it shouldn' matter what your sexual preference is, as long as it doesn' effect nor interfere with the job you're doing in the military. However, it IS a great issue during peace time and the "don' ask, don' tell" policy allows homosexuals to serve sans discrimination, even though it's a hypocritical policy. I, for one, do not like the policy, but I understand the reasoning behind it. It's not jus' to protect the heterosexuals who serve, but also the homosexuals who do. We are the greatest threat to ourselves, at times, and sometimes we need to protect ourselves from that threat. So thus, unfortunately, we enact hypocritical policies like "Don' ask, don' tell" to do jus' that.
    I argree why should your gender preference, should stop you from batting in a war,?
    Elite Member
    Achieved after 150 days AND 500 posts.
    Veteran Member
    Achieved after 365 days AND 1000 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Grave Heat View Post
    I argree why should your gender preference, should stop you from batting in a war,?
    Unfortunately, this is what you get when someone says that a certain group of people can't fight any better than the others.

Listen, I'm joing the reserve and I could be shipped out at any momnet, which means that I could be facing down a business end of a gun. A bullet or a foxhole, Like our friend previously mentioned, don't give a **** weather or not your striaght or gay, it knows that your the enemy, and you must be killed.

So why enacted? Bias.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

+ Reply to Thread