+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double Standard of the Law

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

Double Standard of the Law

Here's an interest article found on CNN.com, according to the report, Senator Sam Browback of Kansas wishes to question a federal judge in front of the senate on her impartiality of Gay and Civil Unions only because she attended a lesbian civil union. What the hell type of double standard is that, the senate is log jammed with federal nominations due to this and this senator will only allow her to go through if she recuses herself from all civil union cases.

This article comes down to this sentence, so by this standard, as a senator I should drag all federal judges onto the senate floor in order to question them about their impartiality only because they attended a traditional wedding.

Man, I feel sorry for kansas to have this idiot.

Senator questions judge's role in lesbian wedding - CNN.com

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie nocturnal_heart may be famous one day nocturnal_heart may be famous one day nocturnal_heart's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Double Standard of the Law

*sigh* this isn't right. Well, hopefully the rest of congress thinks differently, because it doesn't make any sense. Or we could just say that anyone who's attended heterosexual unions are biased as well.
    Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
    ~Edgar Allan Poe

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I can see both sides of things there. I can see why it could be considered comprimising but simply attending a wedding does not necessarily show partiality. Now if she had presided or sponsered the wedding then it would. As is he seems to be overreacting.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie nocturnal_heart may be famous one day nocturnal_heart may be famous one day nocturnal_heart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Well I can see both sides of things there. I can see why it could be considered comprimising but simply attending a wedding does not necessarily show partiality. Now if she had presided or sponsered the wedding then it would. As is he seems to be overreacting.
    why is it that sponsoring a homosexual wedding shows partiality, but sponsoring a heterosexual wedding does not?
    Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
    ~Edgar Allan Poe

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Because it is not heterosexual marriages that are on "trial" currently. A judge is not supposed to have partiality over a case he or she presides over. Making flamming statements against homosexual marriages or civil unions would require the same reclusion.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

The article states that Brownback is an opponent of gay marriage. I'd like to know what he bases his opposition on. If it's religion, then he has no right to call Neff's partiality into question, since the separation of church and state was outlined a very long time ago.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    The article states that Brownback is an opponent of gay marriage. I'd like to know what he bases his opposition on. If it's religion, then he has no right to call Neff's partiality into question, since the separation of church and state was outlined a very long time ago.
    False. The seperation of church and state only means that the state cannot make laws concerning religion. In fact the Constitution forbids "litmas tests" of political position based on religious beliefs or lack thereof. So even if his opposition is based on religion he still has every right to it. You or anyone else, on the other hand, have no right to question his religion as pertaining to his duties.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    False. The seperation of church and state only means that the state cannot make laws concerning religion. In fact the Constitution forbids "litmas tests" of political position based on religious beliefs or lack thereof. So even if his opposition is based on religion he still has every right to it. You or anyone else, on the other hand, have no right to question his religion as pertaining to his duties.

Cleary, I misunderstood the concept of church/state separation, but I didn't say he doesn't have a right to his opinion, religious or not. My concern is that he calls her biased due to having merely attended a same sex union ceremony. As was stated earlier, doesn't that make him biased if he ever attended a traditional marriage ceremony? In that light, I still ask what right he has to call her partiality into question.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast