+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating curse words from rap?

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Eliminating curse words from rap?

im just pointing out that rap are made by people who think they are gangster ( american ones anyways) and this is the way that they talk and to them this is poetry. it's street poetry so like we can't stop the cussing nessicarly if its in s good context but i it isn't then its worthless

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

What they should do is take off that. "I'll take your kids away if you beat them"

When I cursed when I was a kid, my mother would take a nice bar of soap to my mouth.

>O< THE HORROR!

They can do as they please I mean really, "New" things will be made to get around it. (....()

Like always for each generations. I don't believe you should fix everything in life.. Speak your mind!
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

well, i don't think it's a violation of free speech, since it's imposed by the people themselves and not the government.

i suppose it's good that they're taking a higher road, it's their art and their way of expressing themselves... if they want to change it, then hazaa for them!

hazaa i say!
    hazaa!

Newbie TheYellowMnM is off to a good start
    Thanks

Personally this is a tough one for me. I am not necessarily a big fan of rap, but the first radio station that comes on when i turn on my radio is a Hip-Hop R&B station. While this Simmons person has a good intention, it is just not right. Most of the time the n-word used in songs by rappers have totally different meaning, not used with all the racist connotations. Though I do wish they would get rid of the "make it rain on my hoes" type of songs.

Why? Because this type of things have become reality. The respect for African American females have dropped for sure when it comes to getting a spot in a music video, or Kanye's "she's a gold digger"

I hate to beat on a dead horse, but ultimately it is once again left up to the parents to educate. For most of us who have already passed middle school we know what's right and what is wrong when it comes to those words. So it is just those kids that people should worry about.

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

What exactly is the the problem with swearing in rap? So what if kids swear? Its up to the parents to enforce rules on the kids and if they can't stop their kids from swearing well then thats their fault, the kids bad attitude will reflect the bad parenting.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrail View Post
    What exactly is the the problem with swearing in rap? So what if kids swear? Its up to the parents to enforce rules on the kids and if they can't stop their kids from swearing well then thats their fault, the kids bad attitude will reflect the bad parenting.
    the problem with swearing in rap is when it goes far and beyond any reasonable limit, there are some rap songs that don't have non-curse words in them or go something like
    "these N-, N-, N-, these H-s,"
    or something like it, stuff like that shouldn't be said, PERIOD. freedom of speech ends when you offend someone else, and I was offended Years Ago!

Kids got about 55% of their tendancy for swearing from their parents 15 years ago.

Now that percent is around 25, maybe 50-ish is MUSIC and the other 25% from other sources. Rap is probably the most litened to genre of music (i'm happy to say i don't contribute to THAT statistic) and it curses and makes referenses to gangs/sex/drugs/drinking/violence more than EVERY OTHER GENRE TOGETHER! i am glad to see a comming back of rock, as it makes only about a sixth the dirty references (to say nothing of the cursing) as rap.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheYellowMnM View Post
    Personally this is a tough one for me. I am not necessarily a big fan of rap, but the first radio station that comes on when i turn on my radio is a Hip-Hop R&B station. While this Simmons person has a good intention, it is just not right. Most of the time the n-word used in songs by rappers have totally different meaning, not used with all the racist connotations. Though I do wish they would get rid of the "make it rain on my hoes" type of songs.

Why? Because this type of things have become reality. The respect for African American females have dropped for sure when it comes to getting a spot in a music video, or Kanye's "she's a gold digger"

I hate to beat on a dead horse, but ultimately it is once again left up to the parents to educate. For most of us who have already passed middle school we know what's right and what is wrong when it comes to those words. So it is just those kids that people should worry about.
    The song (make it rain - fat joe ft. lil wayne) is not really saying that they are insulting the "hoe" they're saying that they have enough money to buy a hoe (prostitute) and have enough left over to make it rain bills on her. thats all they're implying

also........

So far on this thread there was no actual rap fan (excluding me) and i seem to be the only one thats disturbed by this a lot. I dont mind the swear words, it adds the lil truth taht this was once made because people wanted to speak they're mind. take the rap legend Tupac for example. he was raised in teh Ghetto and all he rapped about was his old habits in teh ghetto and also how bad it was. thats rap for you but now hip hop..... thats whats usually saying those words out of context. If you listen to a rapper fan talk about this, they dont care what it means usually unless we can copy the line, sing it, rap it, and thast all becuase it sounds cool. I knwo tons of people that acutally hear songs with a lot more swearing and usage of the n word tahn normal and to me... its liek "oh it has a cool beat" or "his voice really fits!" or "nice flow" we don't nessicarily look for the context as much as normal songs.
    i think i blabbled enough, all the steams out

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

Curse words do not only come from rap.There may be swearing in other songs(not that i am aware of) and swearing from parents or peers that may influence the kids to curse.The blame can not be put on one type of music alone.Eliminating curse words is not the solution because it won't do anything much.Reducing curse words might be one solution but it may be a short term solution to a long term problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast