Closed Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: English Only?

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: English Only?

Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    I am sorry but the ppl of the US are not the only "americans." As I said before: I am American but I didn't born on the US.
    Yes, but this thread is about the U.S.A.. It's a lot easier to type "america" than "the united states of america". So, I'm just saying, when someone in this thread refers to america, they mean the U.S.A. I know there are more americans in south america, but this thread is about speaking english up here.

simpify: in this thread........america=U.S.A

Don't get offended from it, don't think about south america or canada.
    It's just a misunderstanding that I'm sure will happen over and over again in this thread.
    Attitude of AO MODS, according to beast
    Because they have obtained that level they are arrogant. You have to kep in mind when you talk about these guys they are kind of dorks who probably didn't excel at much and this is their only outlet to flex their muscles. Their egos would suffer no less so the the forum suffers some more. Watch one way or another they will probably repond to this post with a threat. But there are better forums out there. Private messege Zev.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deodaclan18 View Post
    Yes, but this thread is about the U.S.A.. It's a lot easier to type "america" than "the united states of america". So, I'm just saying, when someone in this thread refers to america, they mean the U.S.A. I know there are more americans in south america, but this thread is about speaking english up here.

simpify: in this thread........america=U.S.A

Don't get offended from it, don't think about south america or canada.
    It's just a misunderstanding that I'm sure will happen over and over again in this thread.
    Exactly.

In this thread, when we say "America", we are technically speaking OF the United States of America. It isn't because we are stupid an know nothing of geography, because frankly lebasiara, that is how you are making me feel. I'm not saying North America purposely, and still knowing that Mexico is part of it. Plus, most mexicans have been taught english at one point or another because they do trading with the US, so they need to learn how to speak English.

I understand that North America isn't ALL English. But what you need to understand is that in this thread, we're talking about the USA.

To quote from the first post:

So sometime ago I saw that some restauraunt-owner in Pennsylvania had a policy to only serve customers if they ordered in the American English language. Many people around there say it is discrimination towards immigrants and the owner says and I quote "You live in America you should know how to speak English." So what is the point of view of others on this? I personally don't find it discriminating but that is just me, as a matter of fact I say all of the U.S.A. should do this. If immigrants move to America they should know English.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: English Only?

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Exactly.

In this thread, when we say "America", we are technically speaking OF the United States of America. It isn't because we are stupid an know nothing of geography, because frankly lebasiara, that is how you are making me feel.
    Well... now i get it, don't get me wrong... I was being offended and hurt by that saying so that's why of my reaction, it is just one of the things that I am still learning about this country, i have a little time here, but now I get that is just how you guys call the US. So I AM REALLY SORRY IF I HURT FEELINGS THERE The last thing I want is to hurt feelings... So Whitey I say it I am sorry I appologize. OK I get it, yes.... at least one as foreigner living here should know at least the basis... not to forget or to change our roots though... but at least to know the language of the country that one is going to live in... in this case "America."
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    Well... now i get it, don't get me wrong... I was being offended and hurt by that saying so that's why of my reaction, it is just one of the things that I am still learning about this country, i have a little time here, but now I get that is just how you guys call the US. So I AM REALLY SORRY IF I HURT FEELINGS THERE The last thing I want is to hurt feelings... So Whitey I say it I am sorry I appologize. OK I get it, yes.... at least one as foreigner living here should know at least the basis... not to forget or to change our roots though... but at least to know the language of the country that one is going to live in... in this case "America."
    It's all right. And I'm sure [we] apologize for offending you. But I just needed to get that out of the way lebasiara. That when the Americans - Sorry, the US'ers say "America" They're really speaking of the United States. Just as when you refer to America, you speak of wherever you are from. It was just a misunderstanding, and now it is out of the way.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, the geography lesson is over. Back on topic.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessInZero View Post
    So sometime ago I saw that some restauraunt-owner in Pennsylvania had a policy to only serve customers if they ordered in the American English language. Many people around there say it is discrimination towards immigrants and the owner says and I quote "You live in America you should know how to speak English." So what is the point of view of others on this? I personally don't find it discriminating but that is just me, as a matter of fact I say all of the U.S.A. should do this. If immigrants move to America they should know English.
    I absolutely agree. If you're going to live in America, you should jolly well learn the national language. And come to think of it, English isn't just a national language, it's a universal language. It would be pretty absurd to expect a restaurant owner to be able to speak French, Mandarin, Iraqi, Malay, Korean and Italian just so he can cater to his customers. Bull.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is looking at it from an economist's point of view (something which I try to avoid at all costs), but if everyone in the world spoke a universal language (like in Star Wars . . .) then there would be large numbers of translators out of jobs and think of the repercussions that would have on individual income, not to mention the national/global economy . . . That's all I'm saying for now. (Don't get me wrong; I am in favour of everyone speaking the same language, but retaining their culture/first language.)

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I don't think a universal language will ever be developed. And it is good for them to keep in touch with their heritage and first culture. But, maybe learning a little english might help them adjust here better, that's all. And I see where you are coming from economically, but there will never be one language in this world. At least, it's highly unlikely.
    Attitude of AO MODS, according to beast
    Because they have obtained that level they are arrogant. You have to kep in mind when you talk about these guys they are kind of dorks who probably didn't excel at much and this is their only outlet to flex their muscles. Their egos would suffer no less so the the forum suffers some more. Watch one way or another they will probably repond to this post with a threat. But there are better forums out there. Private messege Zev.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast