Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: English Only?

Newbie Bloody Sword may be famous one day Bloody Sword may be famous one day Bloody Sword's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: English Only?

Yes they should learn english but they should be able to speak there own langage from where they came from......and after all i would be America if you had to do everything that country did.....that would throw the title the home of the free out the window

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

It's a pretty typical western ideal if you think about it,
    you come here - you speak in our language.
    we go there - we raise our voice and slowly over pronounciate each word.
    Almost anywhere you go on holiday or to move abroad, your practically guaranteed to run into the typical westerner at a bar or shop doing the above. It's embarrassing to see but when in another country I've yet to see, an establishment that refuses to sell to none native speakers.

Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Thanks

Actually the US does not have an official language. No where is it written that English is the official language. The states are suppose to be a melting pot of people, not a melting pot of english speaking people. If it really bothers a person when they cannot understand another language, maybe they should better themselves by learning a foreign language.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    I agree with you on that one,

but my post was aiming more to those who come to live permantly in English speaking countries.

Replying to the first post with his refusal, I think that person should keep a bit of an open mind, like what PsiKnot said, how would that person feel if he was refused service simply because the waiter didn't know his language.

He is making a huge assumption that anyone who comes into his restraunt live in America and can't speak english. Too bad about tourists..
    You say its a shame for tourists but when you go to a difrent country you should be able to speak English, it dosnt matter where you go there is always someone around how speaks English.
    There are very few countrys where you cant learn English also when your alot on the internet its also a very useful language.
    English is the only language that is spoken in almost evry country and there are few languages that come close to it and even if they come close there not even spoken in half as much countrys as English

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is discrimination. Not sorry to say.

Understand that if attack America. As in. "I don't think the pledge should be said" That Silly! Sit your butt down, don't change the nation, because your not from here.

But as for the land of the Free. It should help others trying to fit in here. I was told to Learn Spanish because its the second language. of American.

English is the official language, but it has many delects(sp)

When we go there, we don't look for a English town. He learn there language.

But I don't think they should slam the door on ones Face cause they can't speak a language. Thats Awful, and that feeling is bad, but that person should have had someone with them.

As for a America, being the worlds "Everyones Welcome" <- I Think you should live up to it.

Many languages are taught in school, but we can't keep up. I am sorry if one have trouble with English, but it happens, but there should be no sign on the door saying. "English Speaking only"
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMorgan View Post
    Actually the US does not have an official language. No where is it written that English is the official language. The states are suppose to be a melting pot of people, not a melting pot of english speaking people. If it really bothers a person when they cannot understand another language, maybe they should better themselves by learning a foreign language.
    I don't know if the house passed this bill or not yet, but it says the senate did, anybody know if it became a law or not?

Language Log: Senate votes for official English

The most recent thing I read about it was in september, whether or not they voted since then I don't know. It's not going to prohibit anybody from speaking their own language, but it will help businesses and such and kinda encourage people in our country to learn english, seeing as how apparently 12 million don't know how to speak it.

Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Thanks

I think that defeats the purpose of the U.S. I thought we were suppose to be the country that learns many languages and is accepting of any race or religion. I really wish we could go back to ideas of our fore fathers and learn to accept change. A little Spanish never hurt anyone. All you need to know is "Hola, Como te llamas? Me llamo Morgan, Como estas? or a little french, Esque vusette American? A few phrases here and there is very beneficial to ourselves and others. It promotes understanding between EVERYONE.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessInZero View Post
    So sometime ago I saw that some restauraunt-owner in Pennsylvania had a policy to only serve customers if they ordered in the American English language. Many people around there say it is discrimination towards immigrants and the owner says and I quote "You live in America you should know how to speak English." So what is the point of view of others on this? I personally don't find it discriminating but that is just me, as a matter of fact I say all of the U.S.A. should do this. If immigrants move to America they should know English.
    Ok so I dont think I get it... We are talking about ordering food right? If a person can't speak enough english to order food off of the menu. Then they SHOULDN'T be served! What? Ya gonna get a translator every time you want to get some pancakes at Denny's? Seriously, even if all you can say is "pancakes" you better be able to at least order! Or silently go to the grocery store until you can figure it out.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast