Closed Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: English Only?

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: English Only?

Well, I am an immigrant and I agree and desagree with you. Agree in the way that as immigrants, we know that if we move to another country, at least we should know the language of the country to be able to comunicate... but not more than that. It does not mean that we should let go our roots... if an "american" goes to our countries they do not always know how to speak our language and our people is forced to know english EVEN IN OUR COUNTRY!!!!! I think that it has to apply to both sides and not be a one side situation. So then when an "american" goes to one of our restaurants let's "not serve him/her food cos he/she does not speak our language" That is discrimination.
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot View Post
    What about immigrant owned buisnesses? There's a chinese restaraunt down the street and wouldn't ya know the cooks are Chinese. Should I have to learn Chinese to be able to eat there? I think if I had to I could use enough sign language to get my point across. And that brings up another question what about the deaf, should they be Bilingual? English and Spanish signs? If you want pancakes point at the picture or at someone elses meal you know the old "I'll have what their having". It's not hard, well unless your picky. I could order a steak no problem but a kosher steak, I'm not sure. But this small barrier shouldn't be enough to turn hungry people away.
    But the chinese moved to america, not china. If I were to go to move to china and went into a resturant, I would take the time to learn chinese. So if the chinese want to open a resturant here, they should at least learn the language the majority speak, english. Sure they can speak to themselevs and others in chinese if they want, but to serve american people and not know english is ridiculus. It's just bad business, unless the area is heavily populated with chinese people.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deodaclan18 View Post
    But the chinese moved to america, not china. If I were to go to move to china and went into a resturant, I would take the time to learn chinese. So if the chinese want to open a resturant here, they should at least learn the language the majority speak, english. Sure they can speak to themselevs and others in chinese if they want, but to serve american people and not know english is ridiculus. It's just bad business, unless the area is heavily populated with chinese people.
    So you should have to know english to open a buisness? Last I checked a person could get a greencard by bringing a unique recipe to the states. Now how I see it there are really two different debateable points here. 1) Should proprieters be allowed to discriminate based on language? 2) Should one have to learn the language of a country to cross its borders?

Now if you were traveling to say Italy and you even went so far as to learn Italian great! But what if your plane breaks and you spend 2-3 days in Germany? You are screwed, because it should be illegal to order food if you don't know the native language...... BS.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Hence why I said in a previous post the only reason I'm against this was due to foreign travelers. So I agree with you on that point. As for the business opening in america, sure they could open a resturant while not knowing english and make a menu in a completely different language, but are english speaking people gonna go eat there if they can't even understand what to order? That's why it would be bad business to open any kind of business in america unless you know a little english, unless of course you open it in an area heavily populated by immigrants that know the language.

As for the proprietors, they have the right to not serve whoever they don't want to cause it's their business. You can't force someone to serve you and claim discrimination if they don't unless of course for the obvious reason.
    Last edited by deodaclan18; Feb 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

True it would be bad buisness but should it be illegal?

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Thanks

I don't think it should be illegal for a company to operate in another language, that's their choice, but the real question is should the resturant be able to say they will only serve certain people, like those that only speak english. It is their business after all, but I'm not entirely sure that it crosses the line.

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally think that it is somewhat discriminating behavior. It may be part of culture to speak a native language and besides English is one of the hardest languages to learn because of all the slang and multiple ways to express something. My family owns a restaurant and I know that we would never not wait on someone just because they could not speak English.

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

The main point of signs and prohibitions like this are just racist against immigrants, specifically hispanic immigrants. I have a feeling that if a German walked into that PA establishment, they would figure something out.

It all falls under stereotypes and hatred, but I will say that if you intend to live here (here, being America), you should at least make the attempt to learn English, at least passibly. Our national language is English, and I shouldn't have to make a concession to YOU, the immigrant. You want to take part in the so called land of opportunities, then you need to get up to speed with what we do here.

If that makes me racist, so be it.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast