Closed Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread: English Only?

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: English Only?

With all of this and that going around 'bout some guy not serving anyone not speaking english, I have to ask what 'bout those who are just visiting and can't speak english? Millions of americans go visiting other countries around the world and yet they're not required to speak the language of the country that they're visiting. Although I feel that if you live in a country; you should make steps to learn the language, but what 'bout those that are just visiting? How do we distinguish them from the immigrants?

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, that's the main reason I discussed already why it is not right (read above). Aside from foreigners, should new immigrants be forced to speak english in order to go to a resturant or any other establishment for that matter?

Otaku Mattness may be famous one day Mattness may be famous one day Mattness's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessInZero View Post
    So sometime ago I saw that some restauraunt-owner in Pennsylvania had a policy to only serve customers if they ordered in the American English language. Many people around there say it is discrimination towards immigrants and the owner says and I quote "You live in America you should know how to speak English." So what is the point of view of others on this? I personally don't find it discriminating but that is just me, as a matter of fact I say all of the U.S.A. should do this. If immigrants move to America they should know English.
    I am with you on this one. I have had a (not to be racist) immigrant mess up my McDonalds order three times before the maniger walked up and pressed three buttons. It is hard to learn english but alot of people don't put any effort into it!

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

I've already said that if someone decides to move to and live in a particular country that they should make every attempt to learn and speak the lauguage of the country that they choose to live in. Not out of any kind of disgrimnation, mind you, but outta simple practicallity. Let's say your an immigrant(which nearly every american is, but besides the point.lol) and you move to this country and you need a job, or get a place to stay, have an emergency, etc. Not everyone knows your language and can speak it and you need to communicate to other people in this new land. Although I don't feel it was right for the restaurant owner to turn away people jus' 'cause they can' speak the language (for all we know they could jus' be visiting or they could be in the process of learning the language) he probably had his reasons for doing what he did.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    Although I don't feel it was right for the restaurant owner to turn away people jus' 'cause they can' speak the language (for all we know they could jus' be visiting or they could be in the process of learning the language) he probably had his reasons for doing what he did.
    What if they brought someone along to order for them, would he still refuse them??? Cause I don't see why someone would go to a resturant if they can't speak or read english to order food. How would they know what to order in the first place unless someone was with them that knew english. This is why I'm having a hard time understanding why immigrants find this discriminating.

Thanks

No, I don' feel it's right for him to turn them away if they have someone with them that can speak english. In my opinion, it shows that they are attempting to adapt and that's what I mean. There are some immigrants that are here and are making no attempts to learn the language and they expect us to adapt to them. They want all the benefits of living in this country, but none of the trials and things that go along with it. These particular people make it harder on the other immigrants that are desperately trying to adapt.

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Alright i agree anyone who moves here or visits should know some english.

And i know we do have more hispanics here over other immigrants, but i dont find it amusing in single'n them out. I mean u go to mexico, and they are happy if you speak one word in spanish, but dont bad mouth you for not knowing there language, and thousands of ppl go to vacation spots in mexico and dont speak spanish, but they dont complain. At least, try not to think of them as the only immigrants in this country.

But i do agree, you should know enough english to hold a conversation.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

Thanks

Look at the language section in the 2000 U.S. census from wiki:

" Languages spoken at home
    Caution: This does not appear to be Census 2000 information.
    The Modern Language Association provides a website with overviews and detailed data about the locations and numbers of speakers of thirty languages and seven groups of less commonly spoken languages in the United States. Languages other than English are spoken at home by 46,951,595 respondents or 17.88% of people who are at least five years old. Below are the top languages spoken at home. Percentage is with respect to the number of people reported language other than English. Languages that contribute over 1% are listed.

Spanish or Spanish Creole (59.85%)
    French or French Creole (4.47%)
    Chinese (4.31%)
    German (2.95%)
    Tagalog (2.61%)
    Vietnamese (2.15%)
    Italian (2.15%)
    Korean (1.90%)
    Russian (1.50%)
    Polish (1.42%)
    Arabic (1.31%)
    Portuguese or Portuguese Creole (1.20%)
    Japanese (1.02%) "

That's a big jump from 1st to 2nd. Not to mention it probably doesn't include info on all the illegal immigrants, mostly of which are spanish. Hence, it is only natural that people assume it is the spanish that aren't adapting to our culture to learn english. I think we all know there are more than just spanish immigrants but look at the numbers. However, if it offends anyone, I apologize and will stop from now on.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast