+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol: Unintended Consequences?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Ethanol: Unintended Consequences?

Has everyone heard about this?

Several places have been raising the amount of required production of Ethanol in the US. The idea is to lower pollution by using a renewable fuel. Problem is among other things... it causes smog.

Ok, so now that Ethanol is being implemented here is the unintended consequences:
    1. Ethanol actually puts more nitrous oxides in the atmosphere which pollutes.
    2. Making ethanol uses significantly more energy then producing gas and pollutes more not less.
    3. World prices of corn have risen creating a crises in countries that depend on it for food.
    4. The push to make Ethanol has also resulted in deforestation of the rain forest.
    5. Grasslands in the US that had been set aside for wilderness reclamation may have to be plowed to provide for sufficient corn growth to meet future demand.
    6. The production of Ethanol actually costs 16 times the abatement cost for removing 1 ton of carbon from the air yet only reduces car emissions by 5%.

So I am laughing... and crying at the same time. Big Oil may finally be deposed by... Big Corn, and it looks like of the two Big Corn will be the worse.

So do you think that the use of Ethanol is the solution to world energy issues or is the increase of pollution and loss of our nature reserves to high a price?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ethanol: Unintended Consequences?

As always its just a quick fix to some problems while creating more. If we could get the power away from the oil company's, an alternative fuel is a better idea. Like an electric or hydrogen powered car.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Hydrogen is the way to go. This whole Ethanol plan looks pretty fuzzy to me.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Ethanol is nothing but a false hope for the US. If every single grain of corn harvested in the US was turned into ethanol, it would only provide 15% of the US gasoline consumption... In order to replace all US consumption of crude oil, 98% of the US landmass would have to be converted into farm land, which is simply impossible. Cellulose based ethanol may be more viable, as it could convert crop and timber waste, and waste products like sewage sludge into fuel, but the only thing known about Cellulose based ethanol is that it WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE then corn based ethanol, and so far, no one has been able to take the technology outside the laboratory...

Hydrogen has it's own problems. So far, no one wants to talk about where all this 'clean, cheap hydrogen' is going to come from. Currently, all the Hydrogen produced use natural gas as the raw material. If it's going to be produced with electricity, then shouldn't electricity rates be going down with the increased power production coming online in anticipation of the future power demand??? Right now, the only viable source to provide plentiful hydrogen at affordable prices would be the gas cooled pebble bed nuclear reactor. And the issue of radioactive waste management has to be addressed first before the tens of thousands of pebble bed reactors needed to supply the demand can be built...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Sasuke Is Emo may be famous one day Sasuke Is Emo's Avatar
    Thanks

i did not know that this was all true! i was always an ethonal supporter but now... i dunno
    Love only if you are willing to hate.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

well when i first head that ethanol was goin to help replace petrol, i kinda knew it was never goin to work. cause of the simple fact that when u burn nearly any hydrogen-carbon chain molecule u are goin to create CO2. and i'm not surprised that it cost so much to produce, cause i remember the process to make it and i can tell u what doin that on a large scale isn't goin to be easy.

but the thing that puzzles me the most. is that i've always known that u can produce pure hydrogen and oxygen pretty easily but electrolisis. and the thing i really don't get is, y don't ppl think about the ocean currents?. i mean can't we just use the ocean currents and solar energy off shore like oil rigs drill for oil. except in this case we are utalising the force of the ocean to generate electrity for electrolisis to create this hyrogen and oxygen and use that as our energy fuel.

cause i've been thinking about something like this for like power stations but the remote location of and off shore power plant causes some problem but this way i just can't see a real reason y not to do it. since things are looking pretty grim and some lengths people are taking now. it just seems like a feasible option to take. but it could just be me.

well those are just my thought kinda off topic.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Ethanol is evil. That corn could have been used to make grain alchohol. what a shame.

But seriously, there are draw backs but every fuel has draw backs. The differance here is that ethanol is renewable, but whoopidy-doo who cares.

The biggest driving factor in the ethanol push is all politics. No war for oil blah blah blah.... I know I have way oversimplified the matter but come on. Next thing you know the middle east will be broke and Arkansas will seceed from the union and become its own corn fueled superpower.

Where are we gonna get/grow enough corn to fill up every tank in the US let alone the rest of the world?

I have to do some research yet on this cellulos stuff... didn't know we could turn sewage into fuel. Would it smell like sewage, maybe that would discourage people from driving enough that we wouldn't polute as much.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm surprised to hear that ethanol produces more pollution then normal from what I have read ethanol creates very little pollution when burned. This is an article I read from Wikipedia.

The largest single use of ethanol is as a motor fuel and fuel additive. The largest national fuel ethanol industries exist in Brazil (gasoline sold in Brazil contains at least 20% ethanol and hydrous ethanol is also used as fuel).[15] One method of production is through fermentation of sugar. Ethanol creates very little pollution when burned. Millions more acres of land are needed if ethanol is to be used to replace gasoline. Pure ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline (about 30% less energy per unit volume).[16][17] At gas stations, ethanol is contained in a mix of ethanol and gasoline, otherwise known as gasohol. In the United States, the color yellow (symbolizing the color of corn) has become associated with the fuel and is commonly used on fuel pumps and labels.

According to the Renewable Fuels Association, as of November 2006; 107 grain ethanol biorefineries in the United States have the capacity to produce 5.1 billion gallons of ethanol per year. An additional 56 construction projects underway (in the U.S.) can add 3.8 billion gallons of new capacity in the next 18 months. Over time, it is believed that a material portion of the ~150 billion gallon per year market for gasoline will begin to be replaced with fuel ethanol. [2] Growth in fuel ethanol in the United States is largely being driven by financial incentives that naturally exist when oil prices are over a certain level, as ethanol typically costs under $1.50 per gallon to manufacture (of course this is sensitive to corn prices) and is exempt from the $0.52 per gallon federal gasoline tax. However, the United States RFS (renewable fuel standard) requires that 4 billion gallons of "renewable fuel" be used in 2006 and this requirement will grow to 7.5 billion gallons per annum by 2012.

As for just not enough oil being produced the sugar beet produces a lot more fuel then corn. In fact you can make ethanol from any organic material and that is why the government is so interested in it. That and of course it is a renewable fuel.

Arriana, could you tell me where you got your information from? I would like to read it, please.

As for if I am against it or not well I can't really say. I have read these posts here and have heard what is against the production of ethanol and yet I have read a lot of articles that have said something different.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast