Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

Otaku sachiko ueto may be famous one day sachiko ueto may be famous one day sachiko ueto's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

okay, so let's say the person is indeed 'clinically' depressed. but he still has a choice, hasn't he? he is still alive. euthanasia is for those who are almost dead - people who are in a coma, or those who are only kept alive by machines.

and hey, euthanasia should not be made an excuse to escape life! you weren't made to be alive just to give up on it. even if you have clinical depression, it doesn't mean it's going to stay for the rest of your life (unless of course you let it be so). that's why there are facilities called 'rehabilitation' and stuff.

*sigh*

They say you can't use oversized signatures here on AO.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, let me first say that I don't like anyone accepting suicide that doesn't deserve it (in the good way, that is)...

The power to commit suicide should never be used fool-heartedly, like it is nowadays. There's a consequence to suicide, no matter if you have a religion or you're an atheist. Not only to yourself, but to those around you.
    It's kinda' really selfish. ( heheh, I said 'kinda' )

Disease? Whatever.
    Depressed? Go ahead.
    Honor? Are you sure?

When it comes to disease... well, if you choose it... go ahead, but it's still the cowards way out... who knows if someone before you , after you, or even during this moment, is fighting this disease, trying to find a cure for everyone else. Or just fighting to live one more day. You're the coward, go ahead. And this goes for EVERY disease, trust me.
    ...however, you should wait at least a year's time (or less, depending on their lifespan) before granting them this... afterall, they could just have depression from their disease. ...or from their idiocy.

Depressed? Well, if people have tried to help you and you've shunned them away... and if you constantly just bicker and complain to anyone and everyone to how horrible your life is compared to the rest of the world... and you honestly think that no one feels the pain you're feeling, because you're feeling the worst feeling that was ever imagined........ go ahead. You're basically just bothering the rest of us and trying to have a pity-party for yourself. You're selfish and rude. In my opinion, it'd be better if you just shut up and do something about it, instead of just whining. If you have done something and it didn't work, then you've obviously done it wrong or did the wrong thing. ...... but as honest as I can be, go ahead and use euthanasia, you coward. Other suiciders are stabbing themselves in the heart, hanging themselves, jumping off cliffs, electrifying themselves, etc etc... >_O AND YOU'RE USING EUTHANASIA?!!! HOW IDIOTIC ARE YOU?!! YOU ARE A WASTE OF SPACE!!!!

And honor? ...when has euthanasia been for honor? And who follows the rules of honorable suicides anymore? ...well... I suppose it could be... but hey, like I said... Are you sure?

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Dr. kavorkina had the right idea for
    asisted suicide for those who dont
    want to live with the pain of living
    everyday if there going to die anyway.

i say if there hurting so bad thta not even proper
    medication helps the pain the letitng them commite suicide
    is a great idea , i for one would aks for help if i was hurting
    that badly because i would do the same for them if they were
    hurting really bad everyday.

Euthanasia is painless when done right and its moraly
    right as well when it comes to chosing to live with pain
    everyday and if you think your going to hell becuase of this
    i say let god sort them out because he has the final say so
    on how you kill your self not man.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Newbie Angeling is off to a good start Angeling's Avatar
    Thanks

I found this little list to be interresting:

1. A request for assisted Suicide is typically a cry for help. It is in reality a call for counseling, assistance, and positive alternatives as solutions for very real problems.

2. Suicidal Intent is typically transient. Of those who attempt suicide but are stopped, less than 4 percent go on to kill themselves in the next five years; less than 11 percent will commit suicide over the next 35 years.

3.Terminally Ill patients who desire death are depressed and depression is treatable in those with terminal illness. In one study, of the 24 percent of terminally ill patients who desired death, all had clinical depression.

4. Pain is controllable. Modern medicine has the ability to control pain. A person who seeks to kill him or herself to avoid pain does not need legalized assisted suicide but a doctor better trained in alleviating pain.

5. In the U.S. legalizing "voluntary active euthanasia [assisting suicide] means legalizing nonvoluntary euthanasia. State courts have ruled time and again that if competent people have a right, the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution's Fourteenth Amendment requires that incompetent people be "given" the same "right."

6. In the Netherlands, legalizing voluntary assisted suicide for those with terminal illness has spread to include nonvoluntary euthanasia for many who have no terminal illnesses. Half the killings in the Netherlands are now nonvoluntary, and the problems for which death in now the legal "solution" include such things as mental illness, permanent disability, and even simple old age.

7. You don't solve problems by getting rid of the people to whom the problems happen. The more difficult but humane solution to human suffering is to address the problems.
    "You have the face of an Angel"

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angeling View Post
    I found this little list to be interresting:

2. Suicidal Intent is typically transient. Of those who attempt suicide but are stopped, less than 4 percent go on to kill themselves in the next five years; less than 11 percent will commit suicide over the next 35 years.

3.Terminally Ill patients who desire death are depressed and depression is treatable in those with terminal illness. In one study, of the 24 percent of terminally ill patients who desired death, all had clinical depression.

4. Pain is controllable. Modern medicine has the ability to control pain. A person who seeks to kill him or herself to avoid pain does not need legalized assisted suicide but a doctor better trained in alleviating pain.

5. In the U.S. legalizing "voluntary active euthanasia [assisting suicide] means legalizing nonvoluntary euthanasia. State courts have ruled time and again that if competent people have a right, the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution's Fourteenth Amendment requires that incompetent people be "given" the same "right."

6. In the Netherlands, legalizing voluntary assisted suicide for those with terminal illness has spread to include nonvoluntary euthanasia for many who have no terminal illnesses. Half the killings in the Netherlands are now nonvoluntary, and the problems for which death in now the legal "solution" include such things as mental illness, permanent disability, and even simple old age.

7. You don't solve problems by getting rid of the people to whom the problems happen. The more difficult but humane solution to human suffering is to address the problems.
    If you had a terminal illness you would think the same thing. You wouldn't be able to move. Who in their right state of mind would want to live with pain and being able to live a normal life. I wouldn't. Even if the pain is alleviated you're still suffering knowing full well that illness is there, there is no cure for you and you are going to die in the next couple days. If I were in that situation I would still want someone to kill. And I think having people suffer is pretty inhumane, to have them lay there waiting to be cured from their disease when there is no cure, and the chances of them surviving it are slim to none. But hey that's just me. I mean if I had a terminal illness, I'd want my life to end as quick as possible. I don't want to suffer a horrid disease that can't be treated with our technology.

Newbie Angeling is off to a good start Angeling's Avatar
    Thanks

I totally agree with assisted suicide if the patient is suffering and doesn't have any other options.

What I'm having trouble understanding is legalizing Euthanasia for suicidal people. People who wish to end their lives simply because it's terrible are depressed. Depression causes distorted judgement. Depression can be treated. There's medication and Psychotherapy (talk therapy).

People who are allowed to commit suicide will psychologically affect their family, friends, classmates, workmates, or anything who has interacted with that person. Possibly causing another chain of suicide and depression.

There are enough people killing themselves. Imagine making it painless? Do we really want to live in a society where we accept our fellow people to just 'give up'?
    "You have the face of an Angel"

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

I totally agree with assisted suicide if the patient is suffering and doesn't have any other options.

What I'm having trouble understanding is legalizing Euthanasia for suicidal people. People who wish to end their lives simply because it's terrible are depressed. Depression causes distorted judgement. Depression can be treated. There's medication and Psychotherapy (talk therapy).

People who are allowed to commit suicide will psychologically affect their family, friends, classmates, workmates, or anything who has interacted with that person. Possibly causing another chain of suicide and depression.

There are enough people killing themselves. Imagine making it painless? Do we really want to live in a society where we accept our fellow people to just 'give up'?
    I have to agree with everything you said but.... as you said there is medication for it. But isnt that achieving fake happiness. I dont think id want to recieve medication for depression if i know i didnt get over it from and drug influence, cuz then its not me, its just my chemicals being "balanced out" to help me feel euphoric to life.

Also someone said it is cowardly to "give up". What does cowardly really mean, because i dont think it has a solid definition, just like the word hero, or man. Their meaning is very debateable. So why is it so cowardly to give up if you never had any desire to go on in the first place?

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes it can be treated but what the doctors are doing is uping the dosage each time. So anti-depressants don't really work.

And I'm all for talk-therapy.

People need to stop feeling sad for themselves and be happy. In other words people should just laugh and not commit suicide. And depression isn't even a serious illness. We're all depressed at one point and giving up isn't the solution. Unfourtunatly our society has gotten weaker over the years and people's mind sets have changed, which is really sad.

So I don't agree with using Euthanasia on depressed/suicidal people.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast