Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

Otaku Silvertoekee may be famous one day Silvertoekee may be famous one day Silvertoekee's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

Hm I think euthanasia should be allowed for people who are terminally ill or dying. I mean who wants to be dying in pain or bit by bit. Drugs only go so far to help with the pain and the body does build up tolerance to it.

And as for the suicide people now thats a toughy. I don't think it should be used to help them die since they still have a chance at life while the sick don't. I do feel for the clinicly depressed tho because even with help they may never be happy or find hope in life sigh.

Hm and as for rehabilitation be careful of those places. Sure they can help you out but then again it might change you for the worse. Had a friend who went to one of them places and not to sure why. She seemed like a normal kid but when she came out she wasn't the same. Instead of a friendly girl she became dark and tried to stab some guy with a pair of scissors sheesh.

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    Yes it can be treated but what the doctors are doing is uping the dosage each time. So anti-depressants don't really work.

And I'm all for talk-therapy.

People need to stop feeling sad for themselves and be happy. In other words people should just laugh and not commit suicide. And depression isn't even a serious illness. We're all depressed at one point and giving up isn't the solution. Unfourtunatly our society has gotten weaker over the years and people's mind sets have changed, which is really sad.

So I don't agree with using Euthanasia on depressed/suicidal people.
    Actually depression is a serious mental illness. Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, or something like that, i dont remember my biology teachers exact words but she also mentioned the purpose of antidepressants, theyre used to balance it out. But then you have the posers who act depressed because its wats cool or wutever, just the whole emo look. Sadly people abuse depression as an image, and it discredits those who are in need of real help. So anti-depressants is an option, but so is suicide/euthanasia.

Has anyone seen "Million Dollar Baby"? IN the movie clint eastwood assists the female boxer in suicide. Was it because she was depressed or terminally ill? And either way was it morally right?

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

No they're not an option. Sometimes when the dosage is upped high enough it can cause more suicidal tenedices than normal. I read about it in an article of a magazine once. I forgot what it was called, but they're now testing it to see if it's true. I believe the FDA also released a statement about the effects. So no anti-depressents are not the answer. Or rather taking prescription pills isn't always the anser no matter what's wrong with you. Neither is suicide unless you are suffering that much. IMO

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    No they're not an option. Sometimes when the dosage is upped high enough it can cause more suicidal tenedices than normal. I read about it in an article of a magazine once. I forgot what it was called, but they're now testing it to see if it's true. I believe the FDA also released a statement about the effects. So no anti-depressents are not the answer. Or rather taking prescription pills isn't always the anser no matter what's wrong with you. Neither is suicide unless you are suffering that much. IMO
    Oh, thats true, i had forgotten about that. That its possible that it could increase your suicidal tendencies, my teacher mentioned that to. So it seems that not a very effective option, or not a reliable one.

Newbie Angeling is off to a good start Angeling's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay, so medication has failed us. Not everything can be cured with medicine.

But I did mention Psychotherapy earlier. And there are other types of therapy. There's group therapy where people meet up together and support eachother. And if you're too shy for that there's Psychodynamic and Interpersonal. Both help figure out the problem from the roots to help come up with your own solution. And I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting. I know people who go to therapy, and some of them go not because they have problems, but because it's good to talk out your daily events with someone.

There are options around suicide. Death should be a last choice for all.
    Leave the Euthanasia for those who have no hope of survival and need to escape real pain.
    For those who are simply having a rough time: There are ways of solving all problems. Life is full of ups AND downs. And eventually you'll have your happy moments too.
    "You have the face of an Angel"

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is very difficult to even Imagine what life would be like with pain every day of your life. No one can trully appreciate the state of mind that can cause a person except that person. A quiet and quick death to stop the pain caused by damaged nerves or terminal sickness is what some wish for. It is an option, alas a rather final one, that should be open to them. i think assisted suicides should only be an option to those with real, documented illnesses, cancer, or other terminal diseases. only these people should get that right, since noone else can feel what they feel, you can not preach to them the benefits of trying to fight it, when all their nerves feel like its on fire or when you cant control spasms so strong that they can often break ribs or other bones.
    now those people with head cases, people who want to die because everyday is worthless to them. or people who are "depressed" should never even be considered for assisted suicide, hell its hard enough trying to keep them from killing themselves let alone helping them.
    Now I recently lost a very good friend to cancer this year, he chose to fight vs. flight, and lived well past the doctors given expiration date. He lived a good 6 years after the doctors told him he would be dead. 6 years of constant pain, days when he only had enough strength to vomit blood. weeks in bed, to weak to even sit up...6 years of this living hell, and I honestly cant tell you if i could be strong enough to deal with that, but i was...no, I am proud of him, and miss him dearly. He could have off'ed himself at anytime,(he owned several guns) but chose to stick it out.
    Don't Panic

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

I think medically aided suicide (politically correct term) should be permitted/legalized.

One benefit, arguably the most important, to legalizing aided suicide is that most people who wish to committ suicide usually do not have access to guns; so they resort to more gruesome, painful and sometimes public ways of ending their own lives. Take the UK for example, becuase people there are not allowed to own guns the mainstream method of ending one's own life is to jump infront of an incoming train at the subway. If terminally ill patients or a depressed individual had access to suicidal drugs it would mean a less severe method for release which could perhaps reduce trauma and shock to family and friends knowing that he/she went peacefully and painlessly. They would know that their loved one whent home, took a pill, and suffered no more.

If medical suicide were legalized children would no longer have to walk into their mother or fathers room to find them hanging from the ceiling or their brains splattered across the wall. No one has to jump infront of freight or subway trains or jump off bridges becuase they can't find a gun.

Frankly, there are no cons to medically aided suicide. It could only produce positive results. Since if someone truely wants to die it doesn't matter if there is a magic drug for suicide or not. They are still going to do it and probably in a more shocking and tramatic way. So why not just take the gore out of suicide with a pill?

Speaking from experience, I have come very close to suicide many times. Going so far as to press a loaded 9mm to my head, but I didn't pull the trigger. Why? Becuase I didn't want to put my dad through the experience of finding his son's brains on the ceiling and in various other places. If I had done it, I would have gone feeling enormous guilt. A medically aided suicide would have spared me that guilt. Therefore I believe that most people who commit suicide go feeling guilty about what they are about to do to the ones who find/see them or who know how they whent. This supports the reasoning that a medically aided suicide would reduce trauma and shock to the loved one's of someone who kills themselves and even the mental trauma that the victim goes through just before the act.

But arguing against this reasoning, it could be said that the guilt I was feeling saved my life that day. I'll leave it up to you to decide weither that goes for or against my argument. Or maybe I just didn't really want to go that day (I'm sure there will be a day when I really want to, as I am still dealing with chronic depression)

You can say "well, there is therapy", but if someone wants to die they usually don't go out and seek a way to prevent themselves from achieving their goal. I know when I was having those feelings seeking help was the last thing I was worried about. I was mainly concerned with working up the courage to actually do it, or gain the consolence of other people who felt the same as I did.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Jun 06, 2007 at 08:50 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    should euthanasia be allowed for those who wish for suicide?

In a way its allowing them to exit their pain of living by way of death, right?

Also is euthanasia morally right?

I wonder, personally, i think if its severe it, then it should be allowed for

those who truly need it.

(oh, and i also mean the deeply depressed as well, be sure to specifyy if you are talking about the terminally ill, or the suicidal, thankyou!)

What do you all think?
    My view actually is ambigual....

My view is that we have no right to say who lives and who does not live... even if the person wants to die... however... there is the side where the person is suffering so badly that it is a cruelty to keep him/her alive... but again we shouldn't have any voice on killing or not a person... I think we don't have that authority....
    For depression it can be treated... death shouldn't be even an option... not even seemed as a solution...

On the legal field... it shouln't be legal... ya know how many deaths would cause that??..... death is the easiest way....
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast