Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 25 to 31 of 31

Thread: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

  1. #25
    Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Always where I'm not supposed to be.
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    My view actually is ambigual....

    My view is that we have no right to say who lives and who does not live... even if the person wants to die... however... there is the side where the person is suffering so badly that it is a cruelty to keep him/her alive... but again we shouldn't have any voice on killing or not a person... I think we don't have that authority....
    For depression it can be treated... death shouldn't be even an option... not even seemed as a solution...

    On the legal field... it shouln't be legal... ya know how many deaths would cause that??..... death is the easiest way....
    Sorry, but you just contradicted yourself (shame, SHAME! ). You just said we should have no right to say who lives and who dies. Yet you say that suicide should not even be considered an option for anyone who is depressed. Isn't that saying who should live and who should die?

    Second, you are sorely mistaken in assuming that all depression is treatable. Infact it is not. Not everyone has a reaction to anti-depressants or counseling. I have done both, at the same time, and there was never any noticable effect; therefore I discontinued both. Don't think that a pill or a hug can fix everything, because it can't. If someone doesn't respond to either treatments and they themselves lack the mental strenght to fix themselves (usually the very reason an individual seeks treatment) sometimes suicide is the only solution to ending depression. And do not think that someone is weak for committing suicide. Usually someone who suffers from this affliction will fight very hard for a very long time before giving up, so in no way are they weak.

    It can be just like cancer; sometimes it will kill you and sometimes it won't. You could respond to treatment or not. It all depends on the individual and circumstances of their depression. And just like a disease, depression can be very painful. Maybe not on the scale of Hep-C, AIDS or other diseases, but it hurts mentally and physically nonetheless. Believe me; I know. Please do not go around thinking that depression is the least severe of ordeals that people can go through in life and becuase of that a radical means of relief is unecessary; because infact it's one of the toughest.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Jun 06, 2007 at 09:22 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

  2. #26
    Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere far far away from here.
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    My view actually is ambigual....

    My view is that we have no right to say who lives and who does not live... even if the person wants to die... however... there is the side where the person is suffering so badly that it is a cruelty to keep him/her alive... but again we shouldn't have any voice on killing or not a person... I think we don't have that authority....
    You're right on that note, unless it is written in their living will then you have no other option but to comply. In case you don't know what it is, a living will is a document or well more like a list of things that you want to have done or accomplish if you are about to die ie terminal illness. And to my knowledge those things have to be accomplished. If you don't have living will then it is up to either your parents or if you marry your spouce if they want to well have it done. Even if Euthanasia is legalized, you would think that doctors would still need either the paitent's or the paitent's family's consent (if there is no living will present) to do this.

  3. #27
    Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Friendly Fridley
    Posts
    1,477
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts

    Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    Whoabugundy!
    So.... Ive read most of the posts ans have seen where this thread is going, and I gotta through in my 2 cents.

    Let me start by saying I DO think assisted suicide (or whatever you wanna call it) should not only be legal. But I also think I should bare no moral repremands for the assistant or the dying. But this should ~only~ be for th terminally ill. When your very sick with MS, or Cancer, or AIDS... not only are you subjected to living a very poor quality of life. But its something that you could never have prevented (with the exception of AIDS in most cases).

    Now I believe theres a connection between mental and physical health. But I cant buy depression as a terminal illness. Simply because depression itself is a selfish mental illness. And Im speaking straight form the lions mouth. I'm SERVERLY depressed. But admittedly, depression is what takes place when you cannot\will not see the good in life. Sure, If the illness goes untreated for long enough, you could cause much damage to yourself and others. Perhaps you may even commit suicide. But all of this is spawned from selfishness. I guess what Im saying is depression is an illnes YOU create. (please don't try to throw genetics into this either, you dont HAVE to do what you're natrually inclined to do).
    Thusly, assisting suicide for the depressed should be punishable by being skinned alive and thrown in a vat of rubbing alcohol.

    Im mean really, depressed people take their own lives often enough.
    ... Not Ever Again...

  4. #28
    Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    Wink Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Whoabugundy!
    So.... Ive read most of the posts ans have seen where this thread is going, and I gotta through in my 2 cents.

    Let me start by saying I DO think assisted suicide (or whatever you wanna call it) should not only be legal. But I also think I should bare no moral repremands for the assistant or the dying. But this should ~only~ be for th terminally ill. When your very sick with MS, or Cancer, or AIDS... not only are you subjected to living a very poor quality of life. But its something that you could never have prevented (with the exception of AIDS in most cases).

    Now I believe theres a connection between mental and physical health. But I cant buy depression as a terminal illness. Simply because depression itself is a selfish mental illness. And Im speaking straight form the lions mouth. I'm SERVERLY depressed. But admittedly, depression is what takes place when you cannot\will not see the good in life. Sure, If the illness goes untreated for long enough, you could cause much damage to yourself and others. Perhaps you may even commit suicide. But all of this is spawned from selfishness. I guess what Im saying is depression is an illnes YOU create. (please don't try to throw genetics into this either, you dont HAVE to do what you're natrually inclined to do).
    Thusly, assisting suicide for the depressed should be punishable by being skinned alive and thrown in a vat of rubbing alcohol.

    Im mean really, depressed people take their own lives often enough.
    I respect your opinion (i do not agree), but i believe the concept of selfishness is debatable.

    'One' can say that they only care for their loved ones happyness right?

    But another can argue that said 'one' only cares for the others happyness, because their happyness is 'one's happyness as well.

    So is 'one' truly selfless for the other? Or does 'one' only care for 'one'-self's happyness?
    Last edited by Rook; Jun 07, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

  5. #29
    Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Always where I'm not supposed to be.
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Whoabugundy!
    Now I believe theres a connection between mental and physical health. But I cant buy depression as a terminal illness. Simply because depression itself is a selfish mental illness.
    Hmm... this isn't the easiest post to reply to. First, what I do is I try to discern the logical motive and meaning behind an individuals opinion. However, what makes this post so difficult to reply to is there is very little logic or meaning behind your words. It's almost confusing as to how one could think that any kind of mental illness is - selfish? The only reasonable answer I can throw at this is maybe you do not truely understand the meaning of the adjective selfish. So I will enlighten you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary
    Selfish: devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others
    Or maybe you just don't know what depression is? Depression is the state of feeling worthless, sad, or loathing oneself. Someone who has these feelings usually don't give a damn about themselves, they aren't concerned with their personal welfare anymore. Selfishness is the exact opposite of being in the state of depression; therefore you are mistaken when you describe depression as a selfish mental illness. Perhaps you have simply mistaken your selfishness as depression, seeing as how you can't tell the difference between the two.

    I'm SERVERLY depressed. But admittedly, depression is what takes place when you cannot\will not see the good in life.
    Seeing the "good in life" in general doesn't really help when there is no good in the life of someone who suffers from depression, right? And arguably there isn't all that much "good" to be seen in life as of now. So how exactly is seeing the good in life supposed to help? Even if you can see it with 20/20 vision, noticing how very little there is of it usually only helps to support an individuals depression.

    Sure, If the illness goes untreated for long enough, you could cause much damage to yourself and others. Perhaps you may even commit suicide. But all of this is spawned from selfishness.
    So you're telling me that depression is spawned by a contradicting state of mind? Very interesting theory; but as I have shown you it is an incorrect one.

    I guess what Im saying is depression is an illnes YOU create.
    Well this little statement is shoving a rather large amount of information under the rug. Further shedding light on just how ignorant you are of your own affliction, so here's another lesson - there are three causes of depression;
    1.)Depression is a medical disease, caused by a neurochemical or hormonal imbalance.
    2.)Depression is caused by certain styles of thinking.
    3.)Depression is a result of unfortunate experiences.

    Only one of these can be blamed on someone who is depressed, and not even entirely. Therefore you are again mistaken when you say that an individual who suffers from depression is solely responsible for the illness.

    Thusly, assisting suicide for the depressed should be punishable by being skinned alive and thrown in a vat of rubbing alcohol.

    Im mean really, depressed people take their own lives often enough.
    Yes, someone who would spare a child the sight of walking into their parents bedroom to find their mother/father hanging from the ceiling or brains spread across the bed like a sheet or who would spare someone having to witness a person jump infront of a subway train is such a horrible person that we should put them to death, right? That's one hasty, poorly thought out and narrow minded sentence. And who says that a doctor would the be the one to kill said individual? Isn't it reasonable to think that one could simply go home and take a pill that is prescribed by a medical professional? Not administered.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Jun 08, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

  6. #30
    Otaku desxms may be famous one day desxms may be famous one day desxms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oxnard is a great by the beach place
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts

    Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    The practice of Euthanasia is a little like playing God. I almost killed myself when my schizophrenic attacks were intense. I'm glad I lived to see another day. There was a lot of negativity in my life... but things got better.

    A dark cloud fell on our door when my dad got his second stroke. The first stroke took away his genius. The second ... his speech and motor skills. He was taken to the hospital. There was talk of possible death, slow recovery and euthanasia. My brother knew he would be like a vegetable. He felt sorry for my dad and believed in ending his misery.

    My dad was eventually taken out of the convalescent home but my mom got suicidal taking care of my dad 24/7. He couldn't eat, or go to the bathroom by himself. My sister couldn't take it so she split. My other sister learned how to feed him and medicate him. So what made a difference is compassion and hope.

    My dad still likes watching television.

    I guess I would only agree to Euthanasia if it meant being connected to a life support system. I the quality of life is terminal... euthanasia is a last option.

    In the end though it should be God who decides when it is time to go.

    My dad is getting better. He still has high blood pressure. Mom is not ready for a funeral. She's however preparing her living trust. Dr. Kavorkian is playing God. I saw Million Dollar baby and The English Patient. They both support Euthanasia. I don't think anyone should willingly die if there is still some good one can do in the service of God. I don't think we live life for personal happiness. In the end we live to do good in God's eyes by helping others despite our torments. So, it is not a question of do we enjoy life but rather what do we learn from it despite it's pitfalls and how can we help others.

    The bad sister was selfish and went to Las Vegas. The good sister took care of me, my mom, my dad. Selfishness is a cyclical trap. To serve others increases self-esteem and the dignity of life. If one can still lift a finger to serve tea even as an old direlict then life is still the greatest act of God living through us.

  7. #31
    Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sharks Territory
    Posts
    4,762
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Euthanasia... (morality of...)

    Quote Originally Posted by desxms View Post
    The practice of Euthanasia is a little like playing God. I almost killed myself when my schizophrenic attacks were intense. I'm glad I lived to see another day. There was a lot of negativity in my life... but things got better.

    A dark cloud fell on our door when my dad got his second stroke. The first stroke took away his genius. The second ... his speech and motor skills. He was taken to the hospital. There was talk of possible death, slow recovery and euthanasia. My brother knew he would be like a vegetable. He felt sorry for my dad and believed in ending his misery.

    My dad was eventually taken out of the convalescent home but my mom got suicidal taking care of my dad 24/7. He couldn't eat, or go to the bathroom by himself. My sister couldn't take it so she split. My other sister learned how to feed him and medicate him. So what made a difference is compassion and hope.

    My dad still likes watching television.

    I guess I would only agree to Euthanasia if it meant being connected to a life support system. I the quality of life is terminal... euthanasia is a last option.

    In the end though it should be God who decides when it is time to go.

    My dad is getting better. He still has high blood pressure. Mom is not ready for a funeral. She's however preparing her living trust. Dr. Kavorkian is playing God. I saw Million Dollar baby and The English Patient. They both support Euthanasia. I don't think anyone should willingly die if there is still some good one can do in the service of God. I don't think we live life for personal happiness. In the end we live to do good in God's eyes by helping others despite our torments. So, it is not a question of do we enjoy life but rather what do we learn from it despite it's pitfalls and how can we help others.

    The bad sister was selfish and went to Las Vegas. The good sister took care of me, my mom, my dad. Selfishness is a cyclical trap. To serve others increases self-esteem and the dignity of life. If one can still lift a finger to serve tea even as an old direlict then life is still the greatest act of God living through us.
    Interesting post, but please make sure that next time you post your opinion before the thread have been inactive for more than 14 days. We have a rule against that.

    Closing thread.

    'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Euthanasia
    By Jet Black in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jun 01, 2006, 10:41 AM
  2. Doctor's morality
    By NightFox in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2006, 02:21 AM
  3. Euthanasia
    By kedar in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2006, 04:05 PM
  4. A Question Of Morality
    By perezsh in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2006, 07:11 PM
  5. Euthanasia is it right?
    By teebow in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Oct 05, 2005, 10:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts