Closed Thread

Thread: Extreme control.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Extreme control.

Recently I've read a book called Farenheit 451 for my summer english class. Bassically it's about how America is so inhabited by minorities that in order to keep everyone happy (and essentially to sustain America's "utopia" which is infact a dystopia) the government censors any and all material that could cause confict or encourage the spread of ideals, mainly by censoring books, lots and lots of books to the point were if you are found with a banned book your house is burnt to the ground along with the book. Also things are very "desesnitised", people talk to T.V. screens instead of actual people and do nothing but entertain themselves with violence and fantasy. They do not think for themselves, the government thinks for them, tells them what they like to eat, to wear and what to do.

My question to you is do you think that censorship, and in general control of the public and media in order to keep everyone happy, to sustain equality and indifference could ever become this extreme(or close) by eliminating conflicting ideals? And I would just like to ask, what are some forms of censorship and information control/manipulation have you seen? When I first laid eyes on this book I said it was total BS and that a situation like this could[would] never occur and that the people would never let it happen, but after I read the book I wasn't so sure of that anymore.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Otaku Reaper66 may be famous one day Reaper66 may be famous one day Reaper66's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Extreme control.

censorship is good and bad there are things we need to know and things we shouldn't know..yah theres alot of debate and I do agree that SOME things should be kept out of the way of public conflict if that means that we should live a life in secracy and if that what it comes to yah why not?why I believe that???truthfully I have know idea just what to think
    now if everyone found out something that they keep from us everyday that would cause mass panic (example not to be taken literally)then EVERYONE would be in fear and eventually there would be mass panic.end of story
    but those people in that book goes to the extreme to get rid of those books don't they??!?!?!
    (-)4(|< 7(-)3 P14|\|37

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah there are many horrors in todays world. lol. Some parents don't even let their children watch tv till they are 16. I have seen this. But should mass censorship be even considered? No!

I understand that some things that are accepted by one religion, or individual, may be offensive to another. But on the contrary, that person lives in the united states. The U.S. is a beautiful country. It allows you to practice your beliefs, whatever they are, as long as they are legal. But it does not gaurentee that you will not be offended ever. That's part of life. If you don't like something, someones opinion, beliefs, you don't have to follow them. What's the point in censoring?

On to the point of having the government control people. In some way they already do. It's called laws. Other than laying down guidlines, I don't think that the U.S. will ever try to control anyones lives. There are too many people and too many different ideas. Pretty soon it will be difficult to get anything done with so many conflicting opinions(as far as political) Not to say much gets done now... lol

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

Newbie G_khan may be famous one day G_khan may be famous one day G_khan's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe censorship is necessary, but then censorship is a very general term. I imagine its rather difficult to choose which information is given to the public and which is withheld, but then i think some choices would be obvious. We really are pretty well off, agreed third world countries starving, dying from easily treatable diseases and being taken advantage of by their current governing systems are terrible things, but dont those same terrible things grace our televisions every night as we sit down to a meal? The media may censure such things that could be classified as dangerous ie. "Radical" ideals, and movements but they are also responsible for bringing atrocities like war, natural disaster...and the...weather....to the world's attention. The 40 hour famine, Red Cross, Youth Aid, OxFam...etc All of these use the media as a medium to reach out to communities world wide in an attempt for aid.

I believe constant questioning of "What aren't they telling us..?" is basically hearsay when discussing censorship, because we as a people have enough on our plate to worry about already.

-->"hah, but dont you see! This is how they divert your attention from the reeeaal issues, and from all the deep dark secrets, their hidden cloak and dagger tactics! Its all a plot! A nefarious scheme THE MAN has concocted to leave the masses ignorant!" You could argue this up and down (k maybe not like that :P) but i think that there really are some things we don't need to know, because at the end of the day...you have to get SOME sleep. :P
    spirits are aallllwwwaaayss wwiiiiiiitthhhh yyyoooouuuuuuuuuu bbbbbooooohahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hah......

Newbie Casben may be famous one day Casben may be famous one day Casben's Avatar
    Thanks

Censorship is needed to an extent, I mean if there is something which contains subliminal messages to kill yourself or something wouldn't you want to be protected from it? However some people take it to far, like some Christians saying that telivision is bad because some programs have explicite content! And in so doing try to ruin it for everyone saying that they speak for a majority when they speak for a minority.I don't think an idea should ever be censored unless it is a malign one like, Lets go kill someone cause they ruined our country, but you can never keep everyone happy.

Theres loads of information control all around us, like on this site if someone says something agains the rules its censored etc.

Otaku Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk's Avatar
    I live in South Africa and i was born in Pretoria.
    Thanks

Just one thing to remember i recon by doing that they ar limiting your freedom to choose what u read and if they burn your house down then they might even start something they won't be able to finish.

They will never be in full control.
    There is always the underground and the terrorists to make then aware that there is unhappy ppl out there.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Dont revive dead threads guys. This one is older than 14 days.

Closed Thread