+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eye for an eye (death for a death)

Newbie Xanosuke2 is off to a good start Xanosuke2's Avatar
    Thanks

Eye for an eye (death for a death)

Many people feel as though when someone has taken from them, they should take away from them as well. Like lets say, someone killed this girl, well the mother/father would want retribution and say that the person who killed their daughter should die. With our society, standards, and morals it happens all the time and many people see it fit just like the saying, "An eye for an eye."

But what I want to ask is do you think it's right to kill someone for something they have done? It's the ultimate price to pay for something you had done wrong, and the easiest way to please a grieving family.

In my opinion, I don't think killing someone is the correct way to make up for what they have done. Someone could come along and rob me blind, I could feel really torn up from that but I wouldn't go around wanting them to die from it. Our laws are setup for them to do time in jail for material goods taken from me, but it never really get's returned other than the satisfaction of knowing they're behind bars. Plus, the tax money I pay every week in my paychecks go to putting a roof over their heads and feeding them >.> so doesn't seem like I'm getting too much out of that deal. So naturally, when I think of someone actually killing someone close to me putting them behind bars wouldn't seem like an action many would agree with and would want them to die for the wrong they have done, but I just can't see it being right. Sure what they have done is completely out of line and it's an actual person, not some material item I can just go buy another of. They will never come back, and replacing them is out of the picture. But to kill them in return for that action just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not giving them a chance to make up for what they have done by giving them a quick end. Some people never change no matter how much compassion you show them, and I know this, but at the same time, what good is it doing when someone does you wrong and you force them out a one way door? I'm sure we've all seen a few animes where the worse of villians turn out to be one of the best allies, which it has happened in history time and time again. I've known some harden criminals to turn out to be someone that would have your back no matter what after realizing the wrong they have done. But, after all is said and done, some people do it regardless just out of ignorance, or out of lack of emotion towards others, and rare occassions just out of not being able to control themselves and not having the right mental support.

So to me, killing someone doesn't solve anything other than reducing the population and giving criminals(evil) an easy way to get into our lives just to ruin it and we push them out of the way. To me, nothing will ever get solved, plus, us, as humans, have no right to take away anyones life no matter the circumstances.

Erasing my past one bad memory at a time.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Eye for an eye(death for a death)

Eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

Revenge really doesn't get anyone anywhere, but I'm not saying that people who do bad things shouldn't be punished, and sometimes I feel that the death penalty is warranted (like in the case of murder), its just not our place as ordinary citizens to choose what those punishments are, that is the place for the Judicial system.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Jul 07, 2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    sometimes I feel that the death penalty is warranted (like in the case of murder), its just not our place as ordinary citizens to choose what those punishments are, that is the place for the Judicial system.
    But in turn who gave us the right to judge others? Even though they did take from us, the life of someone close to us, or someone we don't know, how would that justify us taking theirs in return? What good would possible come out of permantly silencing them, and taking away their chance to repent for what they have done? Some say, if their religious, they'll go to hell and repent, but if that is the case, wouldn't that make us God? We basically are saying their time is up and sentencing them to an afterlife they had no control over changing. Everyone makes mistakes, and even some of us do stupid things, it doesn't make taking someone else's life right, but at the same time it doesn't give us the right to take their life in return.

For those that believe in religion, christianity mainly, in God's eyes all sins are equal. That would put a pety thief on par with a cold bloody murderer. So tech. that would mean the thief should get the same sentence as the murderer because in God's eyes they have both done wrong, but we don't go around killing thiefs. God didn't give us the right to judge the fate of anyone on this earth, and the saying goes, "When it's your time, God will call upon you to leave this earth," but if we're killing all those people because they have sinned, then how would that be God saying it's their time?

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Well in some cases the right to judge was given to some of us by the united states government. But in most cases for normal folk such as yourselves you should only kill for reasons of self defense or else you will be arrested and go to jail.
    Last edited by beast; Jun 19, 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Well in some cases the right to judge was given to some of us by the united states government. But in most cases only for self defense.

That is people giving others the right to take lives. That's still humans as a whole giving themselves the power they should never have.

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't believe in the eye for an eye, someone does something to me and I blow revenge out of proportion! lol Thats just me though.

Bad stuff happens, I think its great to have someone rule on the circumstances surrounding the situation to decide any kind of punishment.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Eye for an eye (death for a death)

Now I know I am going to be jumped for this, how ever I happen to agree with Ace and Beast, that if you comit murder then you should be put to death, now for those with lesser crimes such as robery or drugs then they do their time. I also am a ferm believer in self protection and doing what ever it takes to protect your self. If some one is say coming at you with a knife then you have every right to stop them, even if that means killing them.

Of cores we know the saying "An eye for an eye and the world becomes blind." well here is my little spin on that saying. "An eye for an eye and the world goes blind makes it that much harder for those to do you harm."
    But thats just me.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Otaku desxms may be famous one day desxms may be famous one day desxms's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Eye for an eye (death for a death)

O.J. killed and got away with it but eventually got into jail. That's karma on a grand scale. I think people eventually get what they deserve.

Putting someone to death by conviction or self-defense isn't necessarily playing God but a sense of justice. My only reservation is if someone was put to death when that person is actually innocent. The justice system does make mistakes. But if someone is guilty without a doubt of cold blooded murder then putting them to death would be my second sentence. The first would be to some sort of community service and make them work their tail off doing public works heavily guarded. Death is too easy an escape. I'd make them clean, paint over gang insignia, speak in rehab centers what a low-life they are and advice correctional youth not to go the same path, build and restore old buildings, volunteer service for old folks home, rescue animals, donate uncontaminated blood, sent to missionaries on foreign fields, peace corps, plant trees and serve the homeless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast