Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The face of 'beauty' - A serious world issue

Newbie Princess Rain may be famous one day Princess Rain may be famous one day Princess Rain's Avatar
    Thanks

The face of 'beauty' - A serious world issue

Am I the only one who thinks it's time to put a new face on the word 'beauty'? This feeling wasn't inspired by any anti-model or racist feelings, but it's been a trend for years: beautiful is white, blonde haired, blue eyed, lipless (the only star I know with real lips is Angelina Jolie), and size 4. There are variations of beauty, it comes in all shapes and sizes and I know you all (for the most part) agree. But that's not the message being sent out all the time, and that is a problem.

Many styles have changed over the years: hairstyles, clothes, music, and cars, but to me it seems like the world is having a very hard time leaving the idea of traditional beauty (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty) behind. Sure, there are a few famous minorities who've made it in the business: Tyra Banks (African American), Gisele Bunchen (Brazilian), Kimora Lee Simmons (Asian), Eamon (Somalian), AND a few healthy or "plus sized" models: Taccarra and Queen Latifah to name a few, but they are few and far between. The fatter America gets, the smaller models become, and the more damage is done to American youth's self esteem.

I'm not complaining about the way America in general is - while minorities are increasing every year, white americans are still the majority (though closely followed up by Hispanic Americans), & since they are the majority they are more widely accepted and more often seen in movies and magazines (and anyone who feels a sense of security or gets a big head because of these facts are not sensitive or truly 'good' at all). Even so, more cinnamon, red, and brown faces are popping up on television and in magazines, but kept to a limit so as not to lose it's appeal to the majority of American audiences and still "please everyone".

The "United" States of America has continued to function thus far with those 'statistics'--may not be the best way, but at least the world still turns and America hasn't been completely bombed off the maps. Everyone is getting their turn, so why complain? No one is being hardcore racist anymore these days, so why bring it up?

Because even though it's not as outrageous as it used to be, it still exists. Reforming the American conscience is hard, but it's been done before (Civil Rights Movements, Womens Rights Movements), and it could be done again if enough people cared.

I'm addressing two things with this thread: size and race, and the parts they play in being "beautiful" as the world defines it.

I know a few guys [note I didn't say "all guys"] will say, "Psh, I like my girls with a little meat on them" or "I don't care what's on the outside, it's all about what's on the inside." Get real.

1) You and your friends are checking out girls--you point to a fat one and the rest of them look at you like you're crazy. If they lined up -insert pretty skinny actress- here to -insert average looking mcdonalds loving girl- (which compared to the actress WOULD look fat--not overweight, but "chubby"), you would probably go after the actress because 1) she's skinny and that's what "looks good" (and if you want to get technical 2) because she's rich o_O).

2) You and your friends are holding a casting call for the next American Pie movie when 5 european americans walk in followed by 3 hispanics and 2 african americans--Most likely, only one of the minorities will be chosen (and as in explained in "Not Another Teen Movie!" just to say "Damn!" or "That's messed up!"... If you dont know what I'm talking about, go rent the damn movie, or you will be messed up.)

We've come a very long way since the early 1900s for sure, but I think there will always be room for improvement. The general attitude especially could use some tweaking, and not only because of what I said above. In many situations people who fall into mainstream or traditional beauty could care less about the concerns of others and think 'Oh, I meet the requirements, the world obviously has more to offer me than the next person,' so they dont take it as seriously as they should. This is just human nature--if it doesn't affect you it's not a problem, but more sensitivity and thought should be given to the subject---and especially to the people.

Now if you're wondering, I'm:

- African American / Hispanic / White / Biracial
    - 5'2''
    - 129 LB (I play Volleyball/Softball, lift weights, & have a curvy figure)
    - Dark brown hair
    - Dark brown eyes
    - Size 8/9 in Juniors
    - And all of the above just wouldn't cut it in a New York Fashion Show (not just because I'm underaged, either)

If you're 5'5'', 108 lb, blonde haired, blue eyed, and size 2-4, you could probably care less. : ) Which is understandable, because as I said before, "what doesn't affect you doesn't matter." (I want to point out that this is the WRONG way to think--Hurricane Katrina? Great example. Didnt affect a lot of us, but it mattered to many of us. In the same way, being "different" doesn't affect a majority of us, but it should matter.)

But If you say "So if you're so unhappy, lose some weight," why? That's my question. Why is it so important to be so tiny, what's the point of it? What's so attractive about having no hips, small boobs, and no lips?

If you say "You're fine the way you are, be happy, don't worry about what others think, just be yourself and people will come to you." Great way to put it Little Red Riding Hood, but that's not the way it works. It's the best way to handle things, but at the same time how do you ignore it all the time? Wouldn't it be better if you didn't -have- to ignore it? How are you supposed to change the world if no one speaks up?

Yeah, life's not perfect, but why live if you don't play a part in making it so.

I know I've rambled a bit and got off topic more than once. =/ Sorry about that, I hope some of you have an opinin or two to share. But my question is this: How do you view the issue? Do you ignore it and go on with life because it doesn't affect you in particular, or do you stop and notice it every now and then? What should the new "beauty" be? Fuller? Healthier? Darker? Or exactly the way it is?

- The perfect example of "traditional beauty." (image from DayDreamGraphics.com layout at this link: http://www.daydreamgraphics.com/g/view/7184, do NOT take and use this image for any avatar/signature/layout/banner/wallpaper without the original maker's permission) Is it time for a change?
    Last edited by Princess Rain; Aug 07, 2006 at 07:05 PM.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The face of 'beauty' - A serious world issue

You know what? I don't give a shit about hair color. Honestly, if you were hot in brown or black or red, why the hell would you dye blonde? I think beauty is being able to work with your god-given bod and make it look good. I personally think some of the most attractive women are dark-haired or brown. The "face" of beauty will change when society changes until then, work with what you've got. We can't all be winners.

Newbie Princess Rain may be famous one day Princess Rain may be famous one day Princess Rain's Avatar
    Thanks

You know what? I don't give a shit about hair color. Honestly, if you were hot in brown or black or red, why the hell would you dye blonde? I think beauty is being able to work with your god-given bod and make it look good. I personally think some of the most attractive women are dark-haired or brown.
    Smart.

The "face" of beauty will change when society changes until then, work with what you've got. We can't all be winners.
    Ignorant. That's the attitude I'm against--promote the feeling that everyone is a winner, not just some of us, and the world will be content with itself.

By the way, I just saw Princesslady's topic entitled "Today's Look." I'm sorry if this thread turned out to be a clone--if you want to close or delete it and let the other thrive, do what you have to do.
    Last edited by Princess Rain; Aug 07, 2006 at 07:46 PM.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I think society need to promote a beauty that comes from being naturally fit and trim for your body frame. Theres nothing wrong with being a little over-weight if thats what your suppost to be. Same goes for skinny ppl. So we should have some plus size models along with the skinny ones at the same time during a fashion show.
    Why is it so important to be so tiny, what's the point of it? What's so attractive about having no hips, small boobs, and no lips?
    So whats wrong with that. Some women are naturally short, no hips, small boobs, and small lips. It appeals to some ppl including myself. I do think we need to add some more variety to the concept of what is beauty.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

"Traditional beauty"? That's pretty ugly if you ask me. Heh, the shallowness of humanity is the extent of their stupidity. Our ability to be blind from the truth makes me laugh. Skinny waistlines, bigger breasts, blonde hair, perfect nose, perfect stomach, perfect thighs? These fake plastic women are a joke to me. Are they beautiful? No. They are nothing more than abominations. Freaks of science and the spawn of technology. Human beings can be so pathetic sometimes. Human beings can be so shallow and blind. Other humans make me laugh.

I suppose I am one of the last of a dying breed. The first thing I ever look at when I see any girl are the eyes. Everything else doesn't matter to me. I have an eye thing. I don't know if it's a fetish or anything. I just find eyes beautiful. Human eyes. Ever since I saw the movie "Event Horizon", I've always wanted to pop someone else's eyeballs with my own fingers. I could do it to myself, but then I wouldn't be able to see and admire the beauty.

Weirdness/craziness aside... Beauty to me truly is skin deep. I like real girls. Not fabricated ones. Women that stuff themselves with plastic bags filled with silicone or women that mutilate themselves so they can look nice and pretty. I despise humans that are fake. There's too many out there in the world today. Too many lies. Too much deceit.

That's one of the reasons I love my girlfriend so much. Because I know that she's real.

A girl can be big. A girl can be flat. A girl can be short. A girl can be tall. I would still think that they would be pretty. I favor their original forms. Any changes and any alterations of these imperfections makes things ugly. A masterpiece needs its flaws in order for it to be truly perfect.
    Last edited by Innerhell; Aug 07, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
    I love my girlfriend.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Rain View Post

Ignorant. That's the attitude I'm against--promote the feeling that everyone is a winner, not just some of us, and the world will be content with itself.
    It doesn't matter what you or I think, it's what society as a whole thinks, and that's how it is! Is it justifiable? Probably not, but that's how society rolls.
    Do I think all women are beautiful? No. Do I find some women attractive where society would dismiss them otherwise? You bet.

The world will never be content with itself. There's too many insecure people for that to happen. Someone has to lose. That's pure mean logic, and that's what our world is made of today. How can you call someone beautiful, if you can't compare them to someone less beautiful? How can you call everyone beautiful, if you can't compare them to someone less fortunate?? Pretty damn hard if you ask me. I'd almost have to say impossible.

P.S. let's keep in mind I'm talking about physcial beauty mostly, not mental. Though I must admit, the poor mentality of a physically beautiful women can often lead her to being ultimately undesirable.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Skinny waistlines, bigger breasts, blonde hair, perfect nose, perfect stomach, perfect thighs? These fake plastic women are a joke to me. Are they beautiful? No. They are nothing more than abominations. Freaks of science and the spawn of technology.
    Yes this is so true if she did this threw plastic surgery. Would you find her pretty is she had this in a natural way? Like if she was born this way?

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Most of the time it's totally unatural for the human body to take those shapes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast