+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Family feud. (Important advice needed)

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

Family feud. (Important advice needed)

So, I need Legal advice. Something that is constant unlike waiting 4 days for one reply from a lawyer on a dumb website.

My cousins Rented their house out to my grandmother. They had been renting it to her for 5 or so years. They came in her house with out permission when she was asleep in her room, on her couch, or wasn't home at all.
    They had changed the locks recently with an excuse that she had abandoned the property when they knew she was staying with me and my family. They knew so by stopping by and constantly calling and asking. Obviously we told them where she was.
    They harassed her, shut off the power to her house causing what ever stored in her refrigerator to sour. They turned off the water to her house as well.
    They went into her home on April 6th while she was not home and took various items, valuable items, or my grandmothers. they had stuffed everything that seemed worthless to them into large trash bags with garbage from her trash cans and the ashes from her ash tray.
    they removed family photos or priceless value of her mother, recently passed husband and aunt. they destroyed a $50 - $100 school project made by my little brother and my mother. They claim they did nothing wrong.
    They are currently evicting her and have yet to admit (though they were seen by a family friend) that they had taken my grandmother possessions from her home. My grandmother is a sickly woman who is often incoherent. they took advantage of her by telling her that she did not pay the rent even though she had payed it 2 - 3 days prior.
    They Violated her rights and a tenant and destroyed the bond as family members to us. Previous tenants (though not filing charges) admitted that they had been treated the same. What should we do?
    Last edited by aceman67; Apr 21, 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Proper Paragraph structure is your friend, and its easier to read.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Family fude. (Important advice needed)

On one of the days when dhe is coherent talk her into getting a power of attorney drawn up, unlimited would be best. Once that is done you have unlimited access to her financial transactions. Get a statement from the bank showing she paid rent and that will be enough to challengew the eviction.

Also see if you can get your hands on some mail that was delivered to her at that address. Remember payments or not if you are allowing someone shelter and to receive mail at your address you have de facto consented to them living their regardless of payments or what not.

You are going to have to maintain legal council for this for the power of attorney and I recommend that you keeo that council.

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

What about the stolen property. the priceless items and photos. if they in fact threw them away like we suspect that they did then what?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starfire1036 View Post
    What about the stolen property. the priceless items and photos. if they in fact threw them away like we suspect that they did then what?
    Realistically speaking, nothing. With all the major problems going on these days it seems the justice system rarely cares about petty crime. Besides with her being incoherent they can just say she gave them away or threw them away and forgot. I know cops, I have several in my family and that is probably how that will play out.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Phone the cops. If they did this, destroying personal property, then they have committed vandalism.

If they have a renters agreement (which they should, since receiving rent is a form of Income, and needs to be reported to the government), it would actually make it Illegal for them to enter the house with out the renters knowledge or permission. Doesn't matter if they own the house or not.

If they have shut off the power and water, then they are also breaking the law, since as landlords, they are failing to provide necessities.

My old landlord in Calgary kept coming into my apartment when I was at work to 'fix' things with out telling me, or my brother. I caught him one day and told him to get out because he didn't ask, he then tried to evict us with no cause, we took our case to the City housing authority and overturned the eviction and he got a substantial fine.

If this was my grandmother, these cousins would be in a world of hurt, since me and my brothers, as well as my Dad, would be putting some substantial boot to ass.

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

well if its there grandmother was well thats discraseful !!! >

but im not sure what can be done bring it to court??
    because i think u might have a clam like but ud have needed proof of that she was staying with u from when ever it was and u had contacted them to tell them she was staying with u for what ever reasons

but then again do u know ur grandmother payed her rent??
    has ur cosins been hit bad by the credit crunch ???
    or has there been a massive family fall out??

just try talking to them first and if they dont let her back in the house then tell them ur going to ur lawer and being them to court.

and id personally say they have no right to just walk in uninvited i dont even walk into my own grandmothers house!

Thanks

What erks me the most is that there is no more talking. they were seen taking the items one day after my mother helped get some of her priceless items out like boxes of nic nacs and wat not. they went into her house too things out and when we went there the next dat, everything else was gone but the trash and all the furniture. including wat came with the house and what was left there.
    what ever they did not steal they threw away. they took her social security papers, her insurance papers, all her important documents out of a chained cabinet. we went to the magistrait and they gave us legal aid. legal aid told us to take it to court. the cops told us to file charges.
    in this town, if foot ball players can get away with murder, than what are they going to do for a sickly old woman?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starfire1036 View Post
    in this town, if foot ball players can get away with murder, than what are they going to do for a sickly old woman?
    You have a point but I think the main thing is seeing to it she does not get evicted. The system will work for that at least. About the property, what can you do? You can press charges but yeah likely they will not do an investigation. I have been told never to do business with family and now I know why.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast