+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foster Children and Public School

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Foster Children and Public School

I recently have been reading a book called "Three Little Words". It is an amazing book that tells of a girl's (Ashley Rhoades) journey as she falls in and out of the foster care system throughout her life, meanwhile her mother spirals out of control.

I noticed while reading the book that Ashley was always a good student, but she still had problems and would never be able to finish a school year until a very late time in the book. Naturally, as she described in the book, this effected her emotionally.

So this book got me thinking; not many people care or even think about the foster care kids in public schools and how the other children are going to treat them or how it will effect the child. I mean how would you feel if all of a sudden, after being with a very limited amount of people your whole life, you were thrown into a huge school with maybe a thousand or so students?

My questions are: do you think foster children should be put in public schools?
    Why do you think this hasn't been a big concern from many people? And if foster children are in public schools should they have certain privlages, if so, what kind?
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

Newbie wiccachick5 is off to a good start wiccachick5's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Foster Children and Public School

well, i was adopted myself, and my parents were horrible, they beat me till i passed out, i ran away from home, am now 20, and lived on the streets while being 19... it kinda sucked, then i realized what my parents had done to me, was emotionally scarring... I wanted to drop out of school, but i didn;t cause i wanted to see the look on my parents face when i passed, they were shocked when i ran away, and were like why? LOL I had a horrible time in public school, i could never make friends cause i was "adopted" and so i think that they should go to a public school if they want to, it should be their choice if they want to go or not, and they should get priviledges, cause i mean they are so scarred from moving to one house to the other, they will be messed up in the head....

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

I am not adopted and live with one of my biological parents, and am very lucky that the one I do live with is good to me.
    I can't say I know how you feel because of course I don't, considering I have never been in your situation. I know how you feel about not being able to make friends though, it may not be for the same reasons but I have also had problems making friends.
    I do agree with you that foster children who are in public schools should have certain priviledges
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

Newbie wiccachick5 is off to a good start wiccachick5's Avatar
    Thanks

cause i mean they are not used to staying in one house and living there, i also had problems making friends and would stick to online friends... wait i still do that! xD

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Life is tough. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be have to go to school...

Fat kids, kids with glasses, kids with braces, minorities, poor kids, ugly kids, kids with pimples, kids with single parents, kids with stepparents, kids with gender dissociation, gay kids, handicapped kids, kids with emotional issues...

Seriously... is there such a thing as a kid who DOESN'T get **** in public school?

That's part of how you learn about life. If anything, foster kids have MORE tools to survive tough situations on account of their past experiences than a kid with a nuclear family and no history of trouble who suddenly finds himself the target of random bullying.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Yes i think foster kids are just as regular why not they should be given a fair chance just like the rest of us you or anybody else cant give me a good reason why they should not go into a regular school if you can i will take back everything i said but mostly if the foster kid wants to go to regular school he should if not then he should go to special school.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember watching some show on TV where this girl kept makin' excuses for not showin' up to appointments like, "Yeah, I can't come to class today, because I'm SO adopted... It's bad, I don't think I'll be in next week either, because I'm just too adopted!" LOL. And the whole time people are looking at her like, "WTF? How can you be more adopted than you are now? Adoption's not an ailment!"

But anyway, let me stop talkin' off subject. I personally think that it doesn't matter whether or not you're adopted or in a foster home. You still need an education, right? The only thing home schooling does is make the kid text book smart and socially inept. Public schools are here for a reason. For children to learn how to interact with other human beings while still working to reach one's objectives. Just like when you gotta go to work and speak to people, interact with them; maybe even ask for help.

You don't learn that unless you go to an actual school. On top of that, why treat the kid any better than a kid who's got his/her actual parents? I had to suffer in the public schooling system, why shouldn't they? I fail to see the point of cutting an adopted child from society, simply because they're adopted. If it's because they worry about being made fun of for being adopted, well, sh*t happens. Kids make fun of kids all the time. Either do something about it or ignore it.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well i can understand if your parents are killed and you mis like a couple od days of school but you cant just keep saying my parents were killed so i dont have to come to school no that doesnt work for a billon years it should work for like a week of school.

+ Reply to Thread